Wuhan Cymbals

& You Dont Stop

Drumming Since '85
Reaction score
I think the Wuhan Lion (China) cymbals from the '80s delivered the ultimate China sound. I also thought, the bigger - the better. I had one Lion cymbal that was in the neighborhood of 21" and it was just fantastic. Those cymbals also might be the reason I've lost 30% of my hearing.

I never understood the appeal of the Zildjian 'China Boy' and whatever the Sabian equivalent was. Why pay double (or more) for an inferior China sound. More recent versions of the Wuhan China types seem to be more 'clangy' than warm & washy like they were 25-30 years ago

Johnny K

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a full set. I have replaced them all with Zildjan K's and A's, one cymbal at a time. They get the job done better than a set of Sabian B8's or Zildjian ZBT's. I think their 8 & 10" splashes sound great and I have a 16" thin crash that sounds good too. All the others are OK and good for practice or jams where you dont want to take out the good pies. They really sound great if you want to have some fun and play them with mallets. But who does that?

egw

Reaction score
I think the Wuhan Lion (China) cymbals from the '80s delivered the ultimate China sound. I also thought, the bigger - the better. I had one Lion cymbal that was in the neighborhood of 21" and it was just fantastic. Those cymbals also might be the reason I've lost 30% of my hearing.

I never understood the appeal of the Zildjian 'China Boy' and whatever the Sabian equivalent was. Why pay double (or more) for an inferior China sound. More recent versions of the Wuhan China types seem to be more 'clangy' than warm & washy like they were 25-30 years ago
What constitutes a "Lion" cymbal? Does it actually say Lion on it? Do you know anything about who distributed them or anything like that?

Just wondering how they're different from the other offerings from that period. If you check Rob Scott's page, he shows the round 80's ink stamp, and the one of the pagoda. That's the kind that I have. There's no English on it at all.

singleordoubleheads

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I loathe them. For some reason I bought several, but they never worked for me. For some, they are the pinnacle of cymbal making.

Yeah they are inexpensive, and sound that way. I suppose some of us like that in a China. I prefer pretty sounding effects like Paiste Sigs, Sabian HHX.
I swear I could have written this post almost word for word! I've never heard a Wuhan I really cared for in person...some of the ones I hear on YouTube etc sound pretty good but every one I've ever tried sounded terrible. I really wanted an inexpensive (relatively) China w/rivets and bought an 18 Wuhan off MF a few years back. It's okay, nothing more...sounds MUCH better when the band is playing vs by itself but I just cannot justify spending the money for a new Swish Knocker, so I am keeping it. I use my Holy Chinas 99% of the time anyway...

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Reaction score
It’s odd ... my old Wuhan 18 Crash was styled after a handhammered traditional B20 crash by the big two. It was a seriously cool cymbal. It has no discernible similarities with anything they have put out over the past twenty years. The ”new” ones honestly do not appeal to me.
I think I picked mine up back in the early to mid 90s.
Not sure if you can locate one today ... but if you can, they are phenomenal. Just a sweet warm expressive crash that delivers every time. It sat side by side with my Ks and HHs perfectly.
No idea why they decided to redesign the lines all those years ago.

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
What constitutes a "Lion" cymbal? Does it actually say Lion on it? Do you know anything about who distributed them or anything like that?

Just wondering how they're different from the other offerings from that period. If you check Rob Scott's page, he shows the round 80's ink stamp, and the one of the pagoda. That's the kind that I have. There's no English on it at all.
Pretty sure all Wuhan handmade chinas are considered "China Lions" if they have the V-shaped cup/bell/holder thingy with the hole in it. They make quite a few designs and models now that I haven't kept up with, TBH.

It's been my understanding long ago they used to be implemented as hand-held pairs crashed together by armies going into battle, giving a ferocious "chinese new year" effect to exhibit their might. The Wuhan region of China has produced and exported them by the boatload for many many decades. I've even heard some speculation that China has been making these since Christ walked the earth!

The ones I've owned used the round ink stamp with the indiscernible oriental graphics, commonly seen in sizes 14" thru 24"
I've owned several thru the years and in my personal opinion they're mostly pure white noise (when you need that effect) but not very "musical" overall but they're certainly brash, trashy & loud.

At one time Universal Percussion distributed the largest quantity of them around the north American market I believe.

Rick

Reaction score
At one time Universal Percussion distributed the largest quantity of them around the north American market I believe.
Cardinal Percussion has them now. They also took over distribution of Attack Heads and are doing some innovative things with them. I don't know much about Wuhan cymbals. Never played any of them.

On another note (apologies in advance for the thread creep), the Attack heads I'm currently using (all my toms and the bass drum batter) are exceptionally good sounding heads, hold their tuning really well, and are very durable. Worth checking out.

Gcort49

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Dream cyms are well made and popular...made in Wuhan, and rumor has it, same factory as Wuhan cyms.
Then again, same rumors about Bosphorus/Masterwork/Impression cymbals....the underside of the cymbal world is a mysterious one...

mebeatee

Reaction score
There are tons of different kinds of Wuhan cymbals (of all types) and gongs (of all types) both good and bad. This is a good thing. The quality control is uhhh....I have a few where the holes are off centre so they hang lopsided by rope. But they sound sooo good/bad they are perfect....ya just have to bow or scrape them and not play them as a "cymbal". Think and hear outside the box.
Plus they're inexpensive in comparison....I've seen vids where a person "stacks" a couple of expensive cymbals only to get an effect/sound of one cheap Wuhan.....go figure.
I'm a huge fan of Dream (bliss line) cymbals....however using these cymbals as "drum set" cymbals one can uncover many yuck ones, but when you find a good one...!!!! It took me a year of looking and found a 20" crash ride locally, a pair of 15" hats in Edmonton and a 22" crash ride in Toronto to make a really nice matching cymbal set. Found a 20" Bliss ride in Edmonton that records wonderfully and sonically matches a 20" Zildjian Pang. Having said that I don't like their crash cymbals....love the rides/crash rides/hats when they are good ones.
bt

mebeatee

Reaction score
They really sound great if you want to have some fun and play them with mallets. But who does that?
Are you being serious?
Quite a few folks actually.....sound artists, sound designers, percussion music ensembles, Taiko groups, improv/new music/avant garde drummers, etc etc......
bt

Johnny K

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Are you being serious?
Quite a few folks actually.....sound artists, sound designers, percussion music ensembles, Taiko groups, improv/new music/avant garde drummers, etc etc......
bt
Of course not. Sorry, sarcasm doesn’t come off well on the inter webs. I use mine a lot.

Corbin L Douthitt

Reaction score
All the corona virus talk made me think of Wuhan. Bit in a different context. Are Wuhan cymbals any good? JUst curious about the brand given its price point
my ear hears the Wuhan China- a gong sound if hit with a mallet- and a trashy, irritating sound if hit with the shaft of the stick- and a almost pleasant clang if hit with the tip of the stick. perhaps its the B8 or plain brass formula. I don't like brass or B8 alloy cymbals. period. no matter how much you hammer a B8, it's still a B8. that's MY ear..

Iristone

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
my ear hears the Wuhan China- a gong sound if hit with a mallet- and a trashy, irritating sound if hit with the shaft of the stick- and a almost pleasant clang if hit with the tip of the stick. perhaps its the B8 or plain brass formula. I don't like brass or B8 alloy cymbals. period. no matter how much you hammer a B8, it's still a B8. that's MY ear..
Doesn't look like the bright orange B8 colour to me. I think it's traditional Chinese bell bronze, B25 or so.

Mark Tirabassi

Reaction score
Hello fellow Percussionist!
This is Mark Tirabassi one of the owners of Wuhan Cymbals and Gongs.
Cardinal Percussion purchased Attack Drumheads, Wuhan Cymbals and Gongs as well as Cardinal Percussion small goods (previously Cannon) on October 1st 2018.
I can answer any questions that you may have as well as tell you that there are many incorrect statements made in the previous posts.
After jumping into this venture.... The first project I tackled was "Attack" - I created a new logo, corrected the descriptions / model names, created a new web site ( please check it out attackdrumheads.com ) and I believe launched a few innovative / never seen before products! The ORBIT and the BARON are doing very well for us. Look out for the "LOGIC DOT" (#teaser).

My next project is Wuhan. So you will see many of the same changes within the Wuhan Brand in the near future.
I'm easy to reach for questions. All three brands are on Face Book and Instagram. You can find me on Face Book as well.
Or...... feel free to ask me questions on this fine forum.

RLRR LRLL,
Mark

emada

Reaction score
I’ve played a set of the old S series and really enjoyed them. I like their larger China’s, but the smaller ones are a little brusk for me. The untuned or dissonant sound some talk about mellows with time and use, making for very smooth cymbals. YMMV.

emada

Reaction score
Cardinal Percussion purchased Attack Drumheads, Wuhan Cymbals and Gongs as well as Cardinal Percussion small goods (previously Cannon) on October 1st 2018.
I can answer any questions that you may have as well as tell you that there are many incorrect statements made in the previous posts.
After jumping into this venture.... The first project I tackled was "Attack" - I created a new logo, corrected the descriptions / model names, created a new web site ( please check it out attackdrumheads.com ) and I believe launched a few innovative / never seen before products! The ORBIT and the BARON are doing very well for us. Look out for the "LOGIC DOT" (#teaser).

My next project is Wuhan. So you will see many of the same changes within the Wuhan Brand in the near future.
I'm easy to reach for questions. All three brands are on Face Book and Instagram. You can find me on Face Book as well.

RLRR LRLL,
Mark
Hello, I suggest you bring back the “S” line with more options. Great cymbals at a great price point, IMHO.

I could imagine a 20” or 22” crash being amazeballs.

1966bmx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

RLRR LRLL,
Mark
Hey Mark ,
I just got those cymbals that ES had you pick pick out and send to me . They sound really cool and will be getting a ton of use . I added 3 rivets to that 21' crash/ride today actually , a very cool dark trashy Elvin Jones vibe Thanks for picking these out for me I appreciate it .
Donnie Baird

Mark Tirabassi

Reaction score
Hello, I suggest you bring back the “S” line with more options. Great cymbals at a great price point, IMHO.

I could imagine a 20” or 22” crash being amazeballs.
Hi Donnie,
The S series happened prior to Cardinal Purchasing the brand. Unfortunately there was a law suit between Zildjian and the prior owner of Wuhan. So if we decided to it would have to be re branded.
Mark

Latest posts