Wuhan durability?

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Heh heh you can run but ya can't hide .

I've seldom seen one of those Wuhans without a chunk missing . As far as trash sounds go, these are born that way .

My good buddy and mentor, B. Downey has had one in that spot for fifty years

fusseltier

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you are going to play Chinese junk, might as well save money and get arborea. They make copies of the popular brands. And they are very inexpensive.
Personally i wouldn't want the name near my set, but in poorer countries like the Philippines they are very popular.

bodinski

the Tingler
Reaction score
I bought a fantastic 18” China about 15 years ago for $35. I cut a dozen ozone style holes in it & played the snot out of it. I finally cracked it last year and am heartbroken.
I think most of the breaks that occur are the result of striking them on the bend where they start to roll. That area is stiff & likely brittle. The outer area is typically very pliable, and played with a glancing blow, will withstand a lot.

jptrickster

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Generally speaking in my experience far Eastern/Asian bronze is more brittle than the western world and Turkish.
Regretably I have broken a couple Aisian alloy Spizzichino's, Staggs and Wuhans from the early days, they like to radial fissure crack. My suggestion is if your a heavy hitter stay away from the Chinese blanks, your probably going to break them. Nice trash on the Wuhans though.

Stephen -peace of art-

Reaction score
If you are going to play Chinese junk, might as well save money and get arborea. They make copies of the popular brands. And they are very inexpensive.
Personally i wouldn't want the name near my set, but in poorer countries like the Philippines they are very popular.
But Ph is rich in other aspects

CC Cirillo

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
My experience is only with the Wuhan “China type” traditional cymbal with the upturned edge.

Out of my thousands and thousands of hours of laying hickory to bronze, the only cymbal I have ever cracked was a Wuhan. And it cracked quickly.

I would say if I were into that sort of —what to me—ultra brittle burst of white noise, I must simply buy them two at
a time, always having one for replacement, play them with finesse, and let them swing freely on the stand.

The Wuhan I had did not have much headroom, so if I were a harder hitter or wanted more dbs, I just don’t think they are the right tool for that job. In that case, go with a western brand.

There is a point in my hearing register where all that style of all-frequency-but-no-note sounds the same, so I figure I might as well have something durable.

I’m curious if you Spang-a-Langers playing the ballads and bop of your dreams on your Dream rides have any durability issues.

kallen49

Reaction score
Been bashing my 16" Wuhan for about 15 years and no cracks yet. You can bend it easily. Cost about $30 US. Great white noise.
See if you can pick it out in this cover song I played on for my daughter last year. My Paiste 602 8" bell is also audible in this track.
Drums recorded using one SM57 mic.
FWIW I broke both Zildjian A's and Paiste 602 cymbals in my youth. (cymbals made in the 1970's).

Vintage Old School

Reaction score
I have two Wuhan Chinas from 1984 that are still going strong. I attribute some of that longevity to both being mounted on heavy duty Aquarian Cymbal Springs.

mathale

Reaction score
Another thing is, is that chinas weren't intended to be played upside down (let alone be bashed upon in that position). Whether or not modern companies/indies are accommodating that in their construction, I don't know. But, take a look and watch Mel Lewis or Jeff Hamilton play. That is the intended* playing position.

*Note: I get it. "Intended" is subjective. Innovation is created via change, etc. Got it and I dig it. But, I'm just sayin'.

Sequimite

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I bought a Wuhan 11" splash to pair with an 11" thin Zenjian, Z top, W bottom to make a hi-hat pair. I quickly noticed that the Wuhan was bending downward until it was shaped to mirror the outside 1 1/2" of the Zenjian. I was pretty disgusted, but when the Wuhan stopped bending into an upside down swish it started sounding MUCH better as a hi-hat pair. I quite like it now and hope the Wuhan is done bending.

flatwins

Reaction score
I’m not a hard player these days. A couple of months back, out of curiosity, I purchased some Wuhans: a 20” thin crash ride, a 21” med thin crash ride, and 15” high hats. I was thinking along the lines of a jazz setup. These cymbals are thin and trashy sounding and kind of unique. I played them at a cover band gig recently and was surprised at how well they did. The hats were really cool though if I did it over again I’d have gotten the 14s. As far as durability goes, they should last me awhile.