XLR cable choices/pricing?

MBB

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I need to pick up XLR cables for my Sennheiser e604's. When I look around there seem to be loads of choices and prices. How high quality does one need for these? I plan on using the mics for live playing so I can hear myself through in ears. Thanks.

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
Best bet is middle of the road pricing from a well known pro audio brand, like ProCo or Whirlwind. If you want to upgrade, I like Canare wire. Cheapo crap like Hosa will fail you, and boutique brands are definitely not worth the price in 99.9% of cases. Look for robust heavy duty feel, and a good warranty. Don’t believe a word of the claims made about pristine sound quality—it’s all fantasy.

TPC

Reaction score
I agree with bongo. No need to spend hundreds of bucks on a cable, particularly for live applications. (In a Grammy-level studio, yes.)

On the other hand, if you go bottom-of-the-barrel cheap, the cables won't last. I've got a boatload of Monster cables that I got for roughly $25 each in a bundle. They had lifetime warranties, and sound just fine for my DIY recordings.

dangermoney

Reaction score
I use ProCo Excellines XLR microphone cables in conjunction with a ProCo snake. Both are pricey but I have used them for many hundreds of gigs and they have never failed me. I always use the snake so that I don't have to run my mic cables across the sage. It also makes it easier to unplug my cables at the end of the night because the individual mic cables don't get all tangled up with everyone else's cables.

I also use ProCo XLR cables for running my monitor mix from the aux out to my in ears.

cornelius

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I use Canare cables - reasonable price and great quality...

tdcrjeff

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm no pro, averaged say 6 gigs a year for the past 5, but I've never had one of these have a problem for me. Definitely at the low end of price range. A 6-pack of colored 25' for $70. I like having the different colors.

Doof

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Agreed with all above - mid-price cables of some decent quality are fine.

I‘ve tossed out every XLR I once bought as a cheap pack off Amazon. They can’t handle regular gigging and absolutely will fail.

Johnny K

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Best bet is middle of the road pricing from a well known pro audio brand, like ProCo or Whirlwind. If you want to upgrade, I like Canare wire. Cheapo crap like Hosa will fail you, and boutique brands are definitely not worth the price in 99.9% of cases. Look for robust heavy duty feel, and a good warranty. Don’t believe a word of the claims made about pristine sound quality—it’s all fantasy.
I get all my XLR cables from the local shop (Bills Music, Catonsville, MD) that's been around since I was a kid. They get them made for them. Speaker calbles too. Good quality, consistency and I'm supporting a local brick and mortar business. And the price is right, about a dollar a foot, and it it gets cheaper as the length goes up.

florian1

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
monoprice.com I get all mine there. They do 60+ gigs a year and get abused badly. Most make it a couple of years, so at 7 bux a cable I dont mind replacing a few.

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
Be very careful with Monoprice, some of their cables are mislabeled. Supposedly balanced cables with only two wires, or supposedly shielded cables with no shielding.

KevinD

Reaction score

EWI Starline cables are great. Affordable, nice quality connectors, no nonsense and affordable. I have 8 or 10 of these and they just work.
Yes,
I have some of these, and also some of the quad XLR cables, also from Audiopile. (come to think of it, I've had good luck with all their products)
I have had some in my drum room (I hesitate to call it a "studio") for 8-10 years with no issues. I find the cables to be well constructed, with reliable terminations at the connectors. Both types are also very quiet.

I'm afraid I can't vouch for any gig durability, my gigs are usually done in a place with a house PA, or with a hired PA but I would wager they would be fairly durable, these are not cheaply made.

makinao

Reaction score
Canare L-2T2 or L4E6 cables, and either Neutrik XX or Amphenol AX connectors. If you prefer chain store pre-made cables, Hosa Pro Rean HMIC line will do.

repete

This one goes to eleven
Reaction score
I’ve had these for so long I can’t remember the brand but I did order some of them with right angel connections for the snare and tom mics. This way the cable hangs down instead of out. It puts less stress on the cable which why I believe they’ve lasted over 20 years.
86EC0264-3735-45C8-B4EC-FA5C84C954F7.png
15C6783D-4EA7-4E7E-A515-B919120B3973.png

Stixnergard2

DFO Master
Reaction score
I'm no pro, averaged say 6 gigs a year for the past 5, but I've never had one of these have a problem for me. Definitely at the low end of price range. A 6-pack of colored 25' for $70. I like having the different colors.
+1, I use the GLS black cables with the color coded ends and have had no issues ever.

drummer5359

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I don't remember the brand, but I went with all neon green cables. At the end of the night it is so much easier to have cables that look different from everyone else's.

1585497912401.png

Interestingly, this color virtually disappears under stage lights.

1585498068052.png

1585498106643.png

Under natural light they are far from invisible.

1585498269280.png

Latest posts