Yamaha 1978 Recording Custom NOW COMPLETE

baz1949

Reaction score
I posted this kit back in January just the shells and rims and a lot of rusty parts but with a bit of TLC and a great re-chroming company here in the North of England, three months later I am proud to show you the completed kit together with Ambassador Heads (Coated and Clear) in all its beauty in the Lancashire Countryside on a beautiful Spring afternoon

With grateful thanks and help with the hardware, to a few friends on this forum, namely Chuck Burak, Chris Wulfekoehler and Tama CW for his valuable information and help in creating the "Gold/Silver Badges", which incidentally I haven't had printed yet

I suspect I totally have the wrong BD Spur screw type fixing, which I've had wrongly re-chromed, so I'm not quite there yet

I am also posting my other RC with twin floating floor toms. This is a 22" 12" 13" 14" 15" kit but is missing a matching SD either wood or metal if anybody can help to finish this kit off, it would be much appreciated

As an addition I have used Natural Beeswax to revitalise and polish these beautiful shells and it works a treat...... Barry

Attachments

Fat Drummer

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
They are just stunning, congrats on the restoration and I'm happy these classics are in such good hands!

vintagedrummersweden

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
These drums are just wonderful!
Maybe I should try to buy my non-drumming friend's kit, with those larger 70's wing bolts on it...

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Love the finish! Just a stunning kit. Great job.

Kevinpursuit

Reaction score
“I suspect I totally have the wrong BD Spur screw type fixing, which I've had wrongly re-chromed, so I'm not quite there yet”

Yup you do, the original bd spur nut is a butterfly nut

flatwins

Reaction score
Compared to the hardware designs of other drum companies (mainly the US manufacturers) of the same period, Yamaha was light years ahead. They were putting some serious thought into their product offerings, even that far back. Nice work on the rebuild!

cruddola

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Give me an address, I have a sister up in Derry, NI who's willing to drop down and liberate them while you're at work! Those Yammies are nothing short of an Eyegasm! Beautifully done! Cheers!

cruddola

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Compared to the hardware designs of other drum companies (mainly the US manufacturers) of the same period, Yamaha was light years ahead. They were putting some serious thought into their product offerings, even that far back. Nice work on the rebuild!
Absolutely right! I've been with Yamaha hardware since the '70s. Been with Yamaha HexRack since their beginning, regardless of drum brand owned. I've literally a ton of Yamaha hardware. I've owned Yamaha drums a few time over the last 50 years. I've always found them to give me the widest tuning range. I've since retired to a used Yamaha Maple Custom Absolute kit that has the longest sustain of the numerous kits owned in my career.

Attachments