Yamaha 80's RC Bass Drum - repainting project - finish question

drummaman1

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Hope all of you are well and staying safe. I wanted to ask if any of you know about the finishes Yamaha used on RCs in the 80's, specifically Quartz Grey.

The PLAN:

I just bought a 16x24 bass drum for my QG kit (8-10-12-16F-18F-24K) to make it a two kick drum kit, which is something I've kinda wanted, since, well, when I was 13 and the first music store I ever set foot in had a 9pc RC kit as its centerpiece. It made an impression, to be sure.

So, I now have two bass drums, except this one I just bought is currently Hot Red finish. The plan initially was to send it to Chris Heuer, but he's not allowed to work due to the pandemic. So, next was to find a guy locally, which i have found, that would repaint the outside shell and hoops QG to match the rest of the kit.

The QUESTION:
What kind of finish is the Quartz Grey finish? Is it urethane? Lacquer? Is there a clear top coat? The QG finish was a result of Peter Erskine asking the Yamaha engineers to make a kit in the finish of his favorite Mercedes, should I look into automotive paint? I am also aware of how the repainted drum will look compared to the rest of the kit, I hope it will be enough that i don't have to refinish ALL of the drums to match. That will get expensive, to be sure.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
A friend of mine years ago had a QG kit and had found a red bass drum...he brought it to a really good automotive paint bump shop and they matched it perfectly. To this day, you can't tell that it was a repaint. They have super advanced computer paint matching that a set of eyes simply can't come close to matching. As far as paint type, they will tell you for sure.

DWSlingerland45

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
A friend of mine years ago had a QG kit and had found a red bass drum...he brought it to a really good automotive paint bump shop and they matched it perfectly. To this day, you can't tell that it was a repaint. They have super advanced computer paint matching that a set of eyes simply can't come close to matching. As far as paint type, they will tell you for sure.
^^^ This ^^^

Old PIT Guy

Reaction score
I vaguely recall reading somewhere that Yamaha used a type of paint on the RC that cured quite hard for durability, but I know next to nothing about paint other than I've done enough of the house variety to hate using it.

I'm sure a good auto body shop is your best answer.

Skinsmannn

Reaction score
First color, then magnalaq. Its a catalized lacquer.2 parts