Yamaha bass drum mount cover plate?

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Does Yamaha make a bass drum mount cover? I have a bass with the standard 4 point Yamaha mount and I want to get rid of it but then I have 5 holes. I know some other companies make these (Pearl, PDP), but does Yamaha make one for their mount so I don't need to drill holes?

Also, I found a link on drummerworld from 2009 where a member there, "socalmike" made them - anybody know him?

I guess I can try to make one on my own if not.......

Thanks, and happy Friday!

jaymandude

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have a factory one that came with a Manu Katche kit I bought 7 years ago, but I have no idea how he got it. Custom order I think.

W&A Player

DFO Master
Reaction score
burgundy said:
I cut mine from a piece of aluminum, sanded , wire wheel and polished it, then took it to sears engraving, then bent it to fit drum, done.
Thanks for showing us how good a home made cover plate can look. Please tell us what you used to cut out the oval shape, and what is the thickness of the aluminum. Thanks in advance.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I had the Manu Katche HIpgig kit, too - and I loved it! It had the Y. mount and I had no issues there.

The bass in question is my pre-collectors DW bop kit. The 18 bass has the Yamaha mount. I added the DW rail but need to get rid of that mount......

Burgundy, that looks nice....I don't (think I) have the tools or skills for that, though!

burgundy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
W&A Player said:
I cut mine from a piece of aluminum, sanded , wire wheel and polished it, then took it to sears engraving, then bent it to fit drum, done.
Thanks for showing us how good a home made cover plate can look. Please tell us what you used to cut out the oval shape, and what is the thickness of the aluminum. Thanks in advance.
all it was is old highway sign, cut the shape out with metal blade in a jig-saw, cleaned the edge up with a grinder and files, then used sander to bring it to a finish, used a wire wheel to remove paint, last used a buffing wheel and polishing compound, they have little engraveing stands at sears, then I bent it to shape of drum, be careful when polishing, when it catches takes off like a shot!
also needs to be aluminum as it can be buffed to look like chrome.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Well it sounds simple......next time I am in Home Depot, I will check for scrap metal or sheet metal.......although I don't have a jig saw, a grinder or a while wheel! Just a Dremel and a dream......thanks!

bfulton

Reaction score
It’s an older thread, but...
I’d like to cover the bass tom mount on Yamaha Stage Customs. The only one I find is sold by pdp. I can’t find out the boly spacing. Anyone know?
I’m also wondering about finding some birch veneer that could be shaped and used.
Any ideas?

Murat

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yamaha definitely makes those. I have sold 2 in the last month. I can ask my supplier if you wish.

jaymandude

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I bet you could get a pre-bent section of a drum shell from any builder or drum shop that does repairs on old drums.
I've asked Maxwells about this. They think a scrap 22 would work but we haven't tried yet. There's alos a guy selling some on ebay that look decent and cheap, from a 3D printer

musiqman

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
They did a short run on those (only fitting the latest models with the smaller kick mount).

The older square ones were made by SoCalMike.

I had the first custom one he sold.

bfulton

Reaction score
I checked with a local drum maker/woodworker. His idea is to use simple birch veneer. It’s about1/8 thick, easy to work with.
Sounds reasonable. The 3-d printed plate is 10$ + shipping.
And Mr. Murat? I just sent a pm.
Thanks all!