Yamaha Bass Pedal Help

Josh Vibert

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, hope you're all doing well. I'm taking a look at what I'm doing with gear and one thing that keeps standing out to me is my bass drum pedal. I picked up a Yamaha DFP8210 a few years back as my first/only foray into learning to play double bass. At this point, I'm just done with it. I realize I could keep it in the setup; nothing's forcing me to use my left pedal, but part of it's a mental thing...I just don't want the distraction and want to clean up the setup a bit. I also realize that I "could" split it into 2 single pedals, but there's still that second beater holder on the main pedal. It bugs me, it just does.

So, I want to sell this pedal. That's the easy part. The harder part is what to replace it with. I have an FP7210, which as far as I can tell, is Yamaha's bottom of the barrel single pedal. I like it. No, I LOVE it. It folds easily and is always the one I take to gigs. It was also the main pedal on the house kit that I played at a church for the last 9 years. Never had an issue with it playing 3 hr Thursday night rehearsals and another 1.5hrs on Sunday mornings. The one thing that bothers me about it is the hoop attachment: the wing nut is right under the footboard and a pain to reach. I like that the 8210 had a quick throw-lever on the right side of the pedal. You set the tension for the hoop, and then just throw the lever and BAM, you're there.

The final piece of the puzzle is I REALLY like my footboards to match. I have a 700-series HH stand setup at home and keep a 600-series HH stand in my hardware bag. Both have the black chevron pattern on the footboards. The FP7210 has the same pattern, but it's the only Yamaha pedal still available with that footboard. I'm not insistent on buying new. In fact, I'd rather buy used.

I guess my bottom line question is, "Is the FP7210 a fine pedal and I should just pick up a second one and get over the wingnut attachment thing?" Or, is it really an inferior pedal and I need to look at some kind of upgrade and either:

1. Get over the mis-matched footboards
or
2. Keep looking for one of the higher-end older Yamahas with that footboard?

Thank you for all input!

Pics to show what I'm talking about:

dsop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Simple. Upgrade your bass drum pedal AND hi-hat stand.
Get this and this. 25% off right now.
Then you can sell your old pedals, or keep them as backup, or donate them.

Radio King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
"Is the FP7210 a fine pedal and I should just pick up a second one and get over the wingnut attachment thing?"
Absolutely! The FP7210 may be the lowest price and most basic pedal in Yamaha's lineup, but that doesn't mean it's of poor quality. I've had several over the years; they're solidly built, smooth, fast, and transport easily. I've gigged with them many times (both chain and strap), and they're totally reliable. Best part: they won't break the bank.

Geardaddy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Remove the spring assembly from your right hand pedal and install it on the left hand pedal. Voila! Instant single pedal that matches.

musiqman

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
These pedals kick ass, with their one-click lock and glow in the dark foot blade.

The blades aren't mismatched, but the bottom part that holds them is longer on the HS than on the BD pedal.

The attachment will only work with the HS1000 and HS1100 hi-hat stand, that has a special receiver for it: