Yamaha Club Customs

musiqman

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It was in the works for some years, including prototype testing. But for now with covid and some mayor key players not digging it, I won’t see a 3th gen anytime soon.

On the other hand. Drums are evolving and I could be very well the golden nugget. Especially as the 2nd gen is still so loved.

I do wonder why it is loved now and not so much when it was released. Hype? Changing drummers landscape?

DaveB

Reaction score
View attachment 454446 Yep. 22-12-14. Plus a 20 just in case.

What makes me curious is how inexpensive the Pearl Kapur/Fiberglass drums were/are. Something tells me all the expense of the CC’s is in the finish.

For now it’s my home studio kit, as I get that together
I've wondered that too. I have both kits and they're both very different. For me, the CC has a very modern vintage feel and a tighter sound, whereas the Pearl drums have a much wider, open and contemporary feel and sound. Both great drums though and both keepers for me.

DWSlingerland45

DFO Veteran
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just recently tried a 1st Generation set of CC's they were very GOOD drums. True sleepers in my opinion. 22/10/12/14 suspended floor tom. I believe one knock against the 2nd generation ( Heresy I know :) ) is the finishes. I just don't think the swirls appeal to the masses ...I'm not in that group I think they're great, but from a marketing perspective I think not having some more finishes available was a swing and a miss.

jaymandude

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was in the works for some years, including prototype testing. But for now with covid and some mayor key players not digging it, I won’t see a 3th gen anytime soon.

On the other hand. Drums are evolving and I could be very well the golden nugget. Especially as the 2nd gen is still so loved.

I do wonder why it is loved now and not so much when it was released. Hype? Changing drummers landscape?
I think it was the price. Maybe someone here remembers what they paid new/if they bought new.

But my memory from the first time I saw them ( @the old drum center of Portsmouth) was first “ these sound great “. And second “ damn that’s expensive “. I don’t think guys thought they were worth the money. That my take anyway. Plus nobody was playing them besides Jordan. It’s not like they were super visible on the road or elsewhere, ads or video

jaymandude

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score

the_dude

Possibly DFO's Worst Drummer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Love, love, love mine! A kit I’ll keep until I’m gone of which you may be able to buy from my wife

View attachment 454438
How old are you and how's your health?
That color is my favorite. I was at Disneyland years ago and saw the Club Customs on a bandstand in a gazebo but they were black. They sounded great.

Last edited:

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
How old are you and how's your health?
That color is my favorite. I was at Disneyland years ago and saw the Club Customs on a bandstand in a gazebo but they were black. They sounded great.
66 and in excellent health. Hopefully around 2050, they’ll be for sale...

jaymandude

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score

repete

This one goes to eleven
Reaction score
you know, you sold me your first 20-12-14 with that orange Yamaha logo. You can have that head back if you like, it's not my thing. Mostly it's the YAMAHA lettering. I like the vintage logo..
I appreciate that - but I really have no need for it though

repete

This one goes to eleven
Reaction score
That logo and resonant head look fab! What head is that?
I believe it may have been the stock head and I removed the black logo with acetone. I ordered the
orange ones on line somewhere. I made the small holes in the reso head with a punch I have a MAY system
internal mic on it and wanted to have a little venting on it

Rockin' Billy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Keepin’ the beat since 1973 Woodstock, N.Y.
I believe it may have been the stock head and I removed the black logo with acetone. I ordered the
orange ones on line somewhere. I made the small holes in the reso head with a punch I have a MAY system
internal mic on it and wanted to have a little venting on it
Thanks. I like the way it looks with the ‘holes’ and somewhere in my mind I thought there was a stock head like that.

I’ve had my Black Swirl kit(22/12/16 w/matching snare) for sale on DF for quite awhile. Every time I see these posts on how great they are I get 2nd thoughts. : )

repete

This one goes to eleven
Reaction score
Thanks. I like the way it looks with the ‘holes’ and somewhere in my mind I thought there was a stock head like that.

I’ve had my Black Swirl kit(22/12/16 w/matching snare) for sale on DF for quite awhile. Every time I see these posts on how great they are I get 2nd thoughts. : )
DW resonant heads have the holes on the sides. That’s where I got it from.