Yamaha Club Customs

dogmanaut

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Guys, this is NOT a good thread for me. I’d mostly come to terms with the fact that I’ll probably never find the add-on pieces I’m looking for (13, 16 toms and a 20+ bass in Dark Wood, in case you’re wondering). But now I’m feeling that itch again, and there’s no way to scratch it!

Houndog

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
This thread reminds me why I won't buy from a company that is always changing lines and woods etc ........

musiqman

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This thread reminds me why I won't buy from a company that is always changing lines and woods etc ........
Always?

Yamaha has one of the longest track records of keeping lines alive.

Especially the RC, MC original and thr Custom Absolute lines. The Stage Custom to a lesser extend as those have going through some changes over the past 20 years.

Houndog

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Always?

Yamaha has one of the longest track records of keeping lines alive.

Especially the RC, MC original and thr Custom Absolute lines. The Stage Custom to a lesser extend as those have going through some changes over the past 20 years.
I can’t even begin to keep track of all the lines Yamaha Tama and Pearl have .

To an “ outsider “ like me . It’s very confusing. It seems like every year changes are made finishes dropped etc ....

dogmanaut

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm with you. I always am on the lookout for a 13" for all of my kits that don't have one. I don't mind 12"s, but to me, the optimal rock kit setup is a 22/13/16.
You might be in luck. Looks like whoever grabbed that Blue Swirl kit I posted a few days ago in the eBay thread is flipping it piece by piece. He’s already posted the 18” ft. It also came with a 13” tom and a 24” bass.

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
You might be in luck. Looks like whoever grabbed that Blue Swirl kit I posted a few days ago in the eBay thread is flipping it piece by piece. He’s already posted the 18” ft. It also came with a 13” tom and a 24” bass.
Thanks for the heads up.

Jazzhead

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Those swirl finishes were hideous, that's why.
I just own a orange swirl snare but I was one of those people who really disliked the swirl finishes. In fact, when 2nd gen came out my favorite was the brown dark wood. A music shop told me that they were having trouble selling a brand new orange swirl kit, they ended up selling it for $1100, they weren’t liked by many. First time I saw those orange swirl kits, I was like who is gonna buy that? LOL over the years that finish grew on me and eventually I wanted a set.
The prices have gone up so much for a set of orange swirls that it doesn’t make sense to buy one anymore, at that price only a collector or a drum enthusiast would buy them, not a player. I don’t think a used 3-piece is worth $2500, but there will always be someone out there who would buy them at that price.

dogmanaut

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Honestly, I’m a little miffed now that I didn’t just grab those blue swirls on GC myself. 13/18/24 for $1200 shipped... yeesh. I was hoping that by holding back they would go to someone who would get more use out of them than I probably would, not just wind up getting flipped for triple the price. Oh well.

bpaluzzi

Reaction score

Bri6366

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I can’t even begin to keep track of all the lines Yamaha Tama and Pearl have .

To an “ outsider “ like me . It’s very confusing. It seems like every year changes are made finishes dropped etc ....
True, but Tama has had the Starclassic line and Starclassic lugs since the 90s. Pearl also brought back their Masters bridge lugs as well with some version of the MMX/MRV 4 ply shell being around since the 90s. I give Ludwig and Gretsch credit for sticking with a lug.

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

24-13-18 blue swirl.
Yeah! Those were so totally my sizes about 20 years ago. But today, no thanks! I'm done with 24" BDs and 18" FTs. Frankly, I just don't play the right gigs for them. I hope whoever buys them enjoys those bigger sizes like I once did.

c.wulf

Reaction score
Honestly, I’m a little miffed now that I didn’t just grab those blue swirls on GC myself. 13/18/24 for $1200 shipped... yeesh. I was hoping that by holding back they would go to someone who would get more use out of them than I probably would, not just wind up getting flipped for triple the price. Oh well.
Wait!!! These were available for $1200??? I’m sick...would have bought them in a heart beat. I just saw them for sale by the current owner. UGH...

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Wait!!! These were available for $1200??? I’m sick...would have bought them in a heart beat. I just saw them for sale by the current owner. UGH...
I love my CCs. But I really don’t think they’re worth anything north of $2000. I think I paid about $1100-1200 for my kit. I bought each drum separately, but I wouldn’t have paid more than $1500 all in.

c.wulf

Reaction score
I love my CCs. But I really don’t think they’re worth anything north of $2000. I think I paid about $1100-1200 for my kit. I bought each drum separately, but I wouldn’t have paid more than $1500 all in.
I absolutely love mine! Definitely in the top of the list of drums I’ve owned. That said, they could just appeal to my older and current taste. I’m a 24,13,16,18 guy, in general, and my 24 is one of the best bass drums I’ve heard. My 18bd is nice and punchy with warmth as well. I’m just bummed that I missed that kit for $1200. 13’s are difficult to come by, and I would have put it to good use. :/

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I absolutely love mine! Definitely in the top of the list of drums I’ve owned. That said, they could just appeal to my older and current taste. I’m a 24,13,16,18 guy, in general, and my 24 is one of the best bass drums I’ve heard. My 18bd is nice and punchy with warmth as well. I’m just bummed that I missed that kit for $1200. 13’s are difficult to come by, and I would have put it to good use. :/
My "optimal" rock setup is a 22x16, 13x9, 16x16, though I'll fudge a little on the depths as long as the 13 doesn't go further than 11".

Yes, I would totally take a 13 and a 16 CC if the deal was right. (I'd probably offload my 12 and 14 CCs.) But given the price I paid for my CCs, the 13 and 16 would have to be a really excellent deal to sway me.