Yamaha Club Customs

dogmanaut

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Wait!!! These were available for $1200??? I’m sick...would have bought them in a heart beat. I just saw them for sale by the current owner. UGH...
Sorry, man. I should have messaged you directly about it instead of just posting it and hoping it found its way to the right person.

c.wulf

Reaction score
Sorry, man. I should have messaged you directly about it instead of just posting it and hoping it found its way to the right person.
Not your fault, brother- I just had a bunch of house issues going lately and so haven’t been on much. Luckily, I already have some CC’s, so just how it goes. :)

dogmanaut

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Well, I did it. I was going to wait until they arrived to gloat, but I can’t help it. Yesterday I scored a set of CCs on eBay in exactly the finish (Dark Wood) and sizes (22/13/16) I wanted, which means I’ll have an almost complete shell bank (18” and 22” basses, a snare, and every tom from 10”-18”). Pretty crazy. It also means I have to sell a bunch of stuff to recoup the money before my wife notices, but hey, all part of the game, right?

Last edited:

c.wulf

Reaction score
Well, I did it. I was going to wait until they arrived to gloat, but I can’t help it. Yesterday I scored a set of CCs on eBay in exactly the finish (Dark Wood) and sizes (22/13/16) I wanted, which means I’ll have an almost complete shell bank (18” and 22” basses, a snare, and every tom from 10”-18”). Pretty crazy. It also means I have to sell a bunch of stuff to recoup the money before my wife notices, but hey, all part of the game, right?
That’s GREAT NEWS!!! Congratulations!!! Got to post pics when you get them!

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Congrats! And I hope you paid a fair price. Some of these prices for CCs are way off base.

richardh253

Reaction score
When I had to start selling off kits as we planned our downsize move, I held on to the CCs as long as I could....heart-breaking to let them go, but helped a lot that the buyer was someone who clearly appreciated and would give good new home to....I remember getting such a great $$ deal on these when they were being closed out, I think it was Sweetwater.

I did replace all the T claws with no inserts with smaller ones that had inserts so as not to damage the paint. After seeing that Gadd video with blue CCs w/wood hoops I changed mine out. I had to take the floor tom to a local Philly woodshop to have notches cut so the tom legs would clear the hoop. (Kept all original parts and sent on to new buyer). Although outside of this video I don't recall ever seeing Gadd play them.

These were super-lightweight and resonant! Such a shame they came & went so fast. But thanks, Steve Jordan!

IMG_3707.JPG
IMG_3690.JPG

dogmanaut

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Thanks, guys. I’m pretty psyched. I’ve been on the hunt for these for a VERY long time. I got close a couple times last year when a guy listed a 24/13/16 on Kijiji in Toronto, and then again when he traded it in to his local Long & McQuade, but I couldn’t ever get things to work out.

As far as price goes, these three pieces will be the most expensive kit I’ve bought in a while, but that has a lot to do with the fact that I’ve just had unreasonably good luck in the past — like a 6-piece Starclassic Bubinga for $900 shipped, for example. Ultimately, the price was pretty fair. I’ve seen CCs go for more, and these being so rare and the exact color/configuration I was after, I felt if there was ever a time to splurge, this was it.

richardh253

Reaction score
Never had an argument from my wonderful wife...just that occasional puzzled look. My wife was pretty understanding of my collecting but I will admit to having, on occasion, getting them out of the boxes and into the house and into the collection before she got home from work. Fortunately, one WMP kit looks more or less like the others :)

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Never had an argument from my wonderful wife...just that occasional puzzled look. My wife was pretty understanding of my collecting but I will admit to having, on occasion, getting them out of the boxes and into the house and into the collection before she got home from work. Fortunately, one WMP kit looks more or less like the others :)
Yeah, my wife was the same, never really bugged me about buying any kind of equipment. I play and own several guitars, mostly American made Fenders, which are their most expensive models. I took my wife on a tour at the Fender factory, and she quickly understood why those guitars cost so much, after seeing all the time, processes, craftsmanship and work that goes into creating such an instrument. It gave her a new appreciation for why the price was rather high on such items.

jaymandude

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bumping this..

I know a guy getting ready to sell a 24-13 16 in Orange. If anyone might be interested. I can send over his info...

dogmanaut

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yeah, there have been a ridiculous number of CCs popping up for sale lately. I’ve been watching them for years, and I can’t remember the last time I saw this many all at once. Particularly Black Swirls.

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yeah, there have been a ridiculous number of CCs popping up for sale lately. I’ve been watching them for years, and I can’t remember the last time I saw this many all at once. Particularly Black Swirls.
I suppose people are realizing they can get a pretty penny for them...? I could easily turn mine around for a healthy profit, given the ridiculous pricing of some these CCs for sale online. These should be about $1500 for a three-piece kit, but I'm seeing prices well in excess of $2000 for three tubs. I don't get it, but if I recall correctly from my Econ 101 class, scarcity and demand dictates the market.

jazzerone

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Just a footnote to all this... I first saw the CC's at the Monterey Jazz Festival in 2015 as the backline drums for all the stages, all in orange swirl. First heard them played by Antonio Sanchez. Even from the audience (and considering who was playing them), you could tell these were something special sound-wise. Last year they were still the backline kits at most of the venues at Monterey, so I'm thinking there's a warehouse somewhere out there with a s-load of these nicely packed and stored away.

I hunted for months after Monterey in '15 for a set, finally came across a 20-10-12-14 in Black Wood finish which, against the bright chrome, is a beautiful finish, IMHO. I later added the matching snare and an 8" tom. I ma now, and have been for several years, looking for a matching 18" bass drum. I believe I will find this shortly after I locate the Ark of The Covenant, because it looks like it will truly take an act of God to find this drum, and I'm thinking I could trade him the Ark for that 18...

Bets drums I've ever owned or played.

owr

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey J1! They’ve been the house drums at Monterey for as long as I’ve been paying attention.
Hope you’re well

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Just a footnote to all this... I first saw the CC's at the Monterey Jazz Festival in 2015 as the backline drums for all the stages, all in orange swirl.
The very first time I ever played a Yamaha Maple Custom was as the backlined kit up on stage at the Monterey Jazz Festival in the early 1990s. I've haven't been to the MJF in 25 years, but it seems that Yamaha is still providing the goods there.

owr

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
They still have a big presence, not just drums, but pianos and such too. They always have a tent booth set-up towards Dizzy's Den and Night Club venues with various pieces of gear for folks to try out.

The very first time I ever played a Yamaha Maple Custom was as the backlined kit up on stage at the Monterey Jazz Festival in the early 1990s. I've haven't been to the MJF in 25 years, but it seems that Yamaha is still providing the goods there.

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
They still have a big presence, not just drums, but pianos and such too. They always have a tent booth set-up towards Dizzy's Den and Night Club venues with various pieces of gear for folks to try out.
I only played the MJF twice in the 1990s. One time, after my set, I placed my cymbal bag off to the side of the stage. If I recall correctly, a famous jazz drummer (name omitted on purpose) thought that the cymbal bag was part of the backline and put my cymbals up on the Maple Custom kit. I walked back in the venue once he started playing and thought, "Huh, those seem to be my cymbals!"

I remember feeling a bit honored that a drummer of that stature was playing my cymbals, but I was also thinking, "I hope he doesn't walk away with them!"

Poor guy had to use my clangy pans back then; the cymbals I had were unsuitable for any jazz gig, but it was all I could afford back then!

Reactions: owr