Yamaha Definitive

wayne

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Would you consider these shells a well built high end kit, or more of a nice upgrade to a mid level?..Seems they were not around long.

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
They were made from Chinese Maple had a 30 degree bearing edge . I saw Steve Jordan use a kit with wood hoops at a clinic and they sounded good . Then again he can make sjist about anything sound good . The definitive series were also available with wrap finishes previously a no no with Yamaha .
I think I would classify them as upper mid price drums .

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I don’t believe these were ever available for sale in the US. I’ve only seen one kit, it was stacked up, so I couldn’t hear/play it. They had an interesting wrap look. Kind of marbled?

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
It seemed to me like the shells were the same as the early maple Tour Customs, but the price was quite a bit higher, maybe because of better hardware? Some odd finishes, I remember seeing some in Germany in 2004.

kallen49

Reaction score
Being Canadian I liked the maple leaf in the badge. I thought they were Canadian maple?
There is another DrumForum thread about these drums from last year

I was working in a drum shop then and I distinctly remember one wrap we called “clown puke”.
We also had a silvery-gray wrapped kit I quite liked which I sold. I’d be happy to own a kit.

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Being Canadian I liked the maple leaf in the badge. I thought they were Canadian maple?
There is another DrumForum thread about these drums from last year

I was working in a drum shop then and I distinctly remember one wrap we called “clown puke”.
We also had a silvery-gray wrapped kit I quite liked which I sold. I’d be happy to own a kit.
Definitely Chinese maple shells - I think they may have had a veneer if Canadian Maple but definitely Chinese Maple shells .

Latest posts