Yamaha Definitive

wayne

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Custom maple shells MIJ. Anyone here playing these drums? .I,ve been told they are hard to find in the US, but were popular in Canada...Appreciate any feedback.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
Do you have any Catalog page links of this series/line/ never saw them...
Oh here's a set with description -->

some details in that Reverb ad

Last edited:

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I, too, had never heard of the Definitive line! Seeing the link, they do look like my Maple Custom Absolute drums I had about 20 years ago. Just proves that everything "old" is "new" again! So, it would appear that marketing just gave it a new name with "Definitive". I'm sure they are great drums!

-Mark

wayne

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yes, i believe they are around 20 yrs old. Not vintage yet, but someday. They are heavy shells, likely from the solid hardware. Reminds me of Tama tank weight hardware from back then

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I, too, had never heard of the Definitive line! Seeing the link, they do look like my Maple Custom Absolute drums I had about 20 years ago. Just proves that everything "old" is "new" again! So, it would appear that marketing just gave it a new name with "Definitive". I'm sure they are great drums!

-Mark
MCDs are from the same era as MCAs. We never got them here in the USA. A little lower in the Yamaha roster than MCAs. A different grade of maple was used instead. They sort of became what’s now known as the Tour Custom in the USA, but were made in Japan at the time.

wayne

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yes, those blue swirl shells are the same as i picked up. It is a 7 pc minus the snare [big surprise], but when cleaning them up, and they were filthy, even by my standards but if you notice, the emphasis is on muffling the drums in a big way. I wont tell you the foam and rubber and tape and more foam and tape...YOU WOULD NOT BELIEVE ME IF I TOLD YOU!
In all of this insane butchering and hacking, beneath lies a beautiful maple clean shell in need of a bath, but the shells are perfectly un molested. This is a find that pops up now and then, but not often. Im not taking advantage of someone here, they are calling the shots. This is when you let the seller speak, without interruption

musiqman

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
They are featured in the 2004 catalog.

Screenshot 2020-07-14 at 20.08.25.jpg
Screenshot 2020-07-14 at 20.08.34.jpg

They were situated above the Oak Custom and Just under the MCA because of the different build.

The new Tour Custom would be in the same league as the Oak Custom and therefore under the MCD.

It was basically a first look in the new vintage hype that would emerge just around that period. They pushed that trough with the Club Custom line.

Attachments

wayne

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My kit will be up for grabs, same as JDA pics, same color etc..let me know if you're interested?

Latest posts