Yamaha die cast hoop$$$$

pgm554

Reaction score
Was at the local drum shop the other day and we got to talking about die cast rims and the outrageous prices these days.
The dealer cost on a 14 inch 10 hole top and bottom set was $260 bucks.
I've got two snares with aluminum Yammie die cast that I paid like $200 bucks for a few years ago and the hoops by themselves cost more than I paid for them.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sure. Same thing with vintage Gretsch. You can find some great snare deals and if you find vintage hoops alone for sale (unfortunately, when the drums are parted out to make money), those snares are worth it just for the hoops alone!

I know there was a thread a few mos. back about those import 10 lug "die cast" hoops for like $35. I think the consensus was they may be aluminum because they are light, thin or both........sure beats $200+ and may be worth trying a pair or having a backup because I am sure you recoup your $ there.

I had a maple custom absolute snare a few years back that was neglected and the hoops were pitted and flaking and ugly. I cleaned it up and put on generic wood hoops and sold the die casts and I think I still got $60+ or so for them.......

pgm554

Reaction score
Sure. Same thing with vintage Gretsch. You can find some great snare deals and if you find vintage hoops alone for sale (unfortunately, when the drums are parted out to make money), those snares are worth it just for the hoops alone!

I know there was a thread a few mos. back about those import 10 lug "die cast" hoops for like $35. I think the consensus was they may be aluminum because they are light, thin or both........sure beats $200+ and may be worth trying a pair or having a backup because I am sure you recoup your $ there.

I had a maple custom absolute snare a few years back that was neglected and the hoops were pitted and flaking and ugly. I cleaned it up and put on generic wood hoops and sold the die casts and I think I still got $60+ or so for them.......
I bought like 10 pairs of the aluminum die cast at $25 or 20 bucks and they are OK,but you've got to wait like a month for delivery.
Don't bother with the die cast from China as they are a rip off and are just plain steel hoops.
DSC00868.JPG

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup, when I picked up my Absolute Hybrid Maple snare yesterday, my local drum shop owner told me his cost is around $130 each! These are for the light weight Yamahas.

pgm554

Reaction score
Yup, when I picked up my Absolute Hybrid Maple snare yesterday, my local drum shop owner told me his cost is around $130 each! These are for the light weight Yamahas.
You talkin' Dubs?