Yamaha DTX + Mac Mini M1 + Logic + Big Sur = no go?

Targalx

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Hi all, I've successfully used my DTX kit for years with my Mac Book Air (2013) via USB using Logic Pro X running Mojave (10.4.6) without any issues. But, I'm having trouble getting my DTX to talk to my new Mac Mini M1 (2021) via USB using Logic running Big Sur (11.2.2). I downloaded all the same DTX drivers and whatnot from the Yamaha website. Any ideas, help, tips or advice?

bpaluzzi

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The Yamaha drivers don't support Big Sur.
New versions are in progress, with the last projected completion date Mid-March.

Yamaha dropped the ball on this .

Targalx

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
New versions are in progress, with the last projected completion date Mid-March.

Ah, so that's what's going on. Wow, what a major bummer, but OK, I'll revert back to the ancient MacBook Air with Mojave for now to run my DTX stuff.

I was all fired up being able to use my new Mac Mini M1 with my DTX kit to finally get a bunch of fairly intense projects done. My old MacBook Air generally works fine, but the limitations of its RAM and processor find it becoming really problematic when I layer lots of effects. It also encounters severe latency issues from time to time.

simedgoose

Reaction score
It works fine here. I have DTX6 into M1 running Big Sur. No problems at all. It’s a class compliant device so it will be found. It’s a configuration issue. I have found issues with some DAWs but in Logic and Ableton no issues at all. What DTX are you running and what are you trying to do with it?

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My two Macs had issues with Big Sur so I went back to Mojave and then settled into Catalina. No issues now. But both of my Macs (Mac mini and MacBook Pro) are 2012.

Targalx

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
It works fine here. I have DTX6 into M1 running Big Sur. No problems at all. It’s a class compliant device so it will be found. It’s a configuration issue. I have found issues with some DAWs but in Logic and Ableton no issues at all. What DTX are you running and what are you trying to do with it?
I’m running a DTX760 and am using it to track parts directly into Logic. I can’t get Logic to recognize the DTX. It works perfectly with my other computer.

simedgoose

Reaction score
I’m running a DTX760 and am using it to track parts directly into Logic. I can’t get Logic to recognize the DTX. It works perfectly with my other computer.
Through USB? Or midi and an interface?

bpaluzzi

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
A lot of the Yamaha stuff is (ridiculously) not class compliant, so you have these issues when there are major software updates.

Targalx

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I was searching online and noticed that there seem to be compatibility issues with Yamaha synths and the M1 Macs (see the post from "Blake" at the bottom of that thread) — I'm guessing this is a similar situation between Yamaha DTXs and M1s?

bpaluzzi

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I was searching online and noticed that there seem to be compatibility issues with Yamaha synths and the M1 Macs (see the post from "Blake" at the bottom of that thread) — I'm guessing this is a similar situation between Yamaha DTXs and M1s?
Yup, anything that needs the Yamaha/Steinberg drivers is not up-to-date yet. Some of their products are MIDI class compliant (they don't require any drivers, so they should be ready to use with the M1 chips / Big Sur), but it's a very small proportion.

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Yeah, the new computer comes preloaded with Big Sur. So, I’m stuck with the new OS.
I’m probably about to get an M1 mini as well, but I’ll keep my mid 2010 around for awhile just to run the DTX and whatever else won’t be compatible with Big Sur until everything is updated.

The only thing I don’t like about Macs is their overall shelf life. I’ve had a few where the OS was abandoned and my studio gear was no longer compatible.

Targalx

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I’m probably about to get an M1 mini as well, but I’ll keep my mid 2010 around for awhile just to run the DTX and whatever else won’t be compatible with Big Sur until everything is updated.

The only thing I don’t like about Macs is their overall shelf life. I’ve had a few where the OS was abandoned and my studio gear was no longer compatible.
That is harsh. My 2013 MBA is still, oddly, compatible with Big Sur somehow. I won’t be upgrading it anytime soon as I need it for DTX duty. But not bad, eight years later.

Targalx

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

Have you heard anything about updates on this yet? We're now in the last few days of March and I haven't seen anything on Yamaha's website in terms of Big Sur-compatible drivers. (I've been checking it every week hoping that something pops up!)

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the best way to find out is by doing what you’re doing, which I’ve also done several times over the years until one day discovering they’d posted a new driver for download.

One of my interfaces is steinberg/Yamaha and it needed updated drivers more than once, while the DTX needed one or two firmware updates.