Yamaha DTXplorer giving up the ghost..

chollyred

Reaction score
The kit at my small church is giving up the ghost; starting to have channel failures, triggering problems, etc. Need to find a replacement but (did I say small church) only have a budget of around $500. What should I be looking for? I've seen a few listings for Roland TD4 and TD11 kits around that price. Would like mesh heads if possible (my arthritis would appreciate it). What other options? I've considered replacing the module with a Yamaha DTX502, but I'd like to replace the pads and cables too if possible.

electrodrummer

Reaction score
As an aside....if you are getting wrist problems - what sticks are you using? (wood, size)? I've hitting stuff for over 3 decades with no problems.

chollyred

Reaction score
As an aside....if you are getting wrist problems - what sticks are you using? (wood, size)? I've hitting stuff for over 3 decades with no problems.
One of the privileges of getting old. Arthritis setting into the thumbs. The hard rubber pads tend to irritate it some. People kept telling me use thinner, lighter sticks, but that seemed to aggravate it more. Now using 2Bs and an extremely light grip and letting the sticks do the work.

mcjaco

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
One of the privileges of getting old. Arthritis setting into the thumbs. The hard rubber pads tend to irritate it some. People kept telling me use thinner, lighter sticks, but that seemed to aggravate it more. Now using 2Bs and an extremely light grip and letting the sticks do the work.
Just saw this. I have the same problem. The rubber pads are killer on my 44 year old thumbs that have minor arthritis. 20 plus years of drumming haven't been kind on the fingers.

Drm1979

Reaction score
I have thumbs issues as well. On my right hand if my ride cymbal is way off to my right I start having locking and cramping issues. I have to position my ride cymbal between my toms over the bass drum so it's more in front of me, otherwise my thumb issues start up.

Angelo Zollo

Reaction score
Just saw this. I have the same problem. The rubber pads are killer on my 44 year old thumbs that have minor arthritis. 20 plus years of drumming haven't been kind on the fingers.
I played for 3 hours one night and my right thumb hurt for 2 weeks. I thought I was the only one

Drm1979

Reaction score
I played for 3 hours one night and my right thumb hurt for 2 weeks. I thought I was the only one
No you are definitely not the only one. Check your positioning of your kits components though. Sometimes just a small tweak of your set up might throw off your muscles and joints and cause issues. As I discovered. I used to think ergonomics weren't that big of a deal. And 15 years ago when I was younger they probably weren't. But the older I get the more I realize if everything isnt set up the way it's most comfortable I have thumb and cramp issues.

Angelo Zollo

Reaction score
RE: Ergonomics. I am noticing as I get older that my hands sometimes are resting on my thigh ( R side ) when I play. Not always but I do catch myself sometimes. I really think my chair is adjusted properly. And my posture is getting poorer with age . Now that is not good!

Drm1979

Reaction score
RE: Ergonomics. I am noticing as I get older that my hands sometimes are resting on my thigh ( R side ) when I play. Not always but I do catch myself sometimes. I really think my chair is adjusted properly. And my posture is getting poorer with age . Now that is not good!
Maybe try a throne with a back rest? It might help you sit up straighter. I dunno. I dont use one but I know some drummers who do.