Yamaha EAD10

rikkrebs

DFO Master
Reaction score
I tried a Yamaha EAD10 when they first came out and LOVED it. I'm thinking of getting one for my son to use for home recording.

Does anyone use it???

hefty

DFO Master
Reaction score
I use mine almost every day for practicing and it's a game changer for that. I sometimes use it to record ideas to a thumb drive too. I've never used it live or for legit recording though.

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
It's been a game changer for me as well in terms of home practice. I played an e-kit exclusively from 1985 until this past summer when I was gifted a vintage Ludwig kit. I like practicing to recorded tracks, which the e-kit did very well, while at the same time allowing me to control/limit the volume going into my aging ears. The EAD10, when used with a good set of isolation headphones, allows me to play along to recorded music using my Ludwig kit while keeping the volume level of both under control. It doesn't, however, control the volume in the room so I don't think my wife is as enamored with me going from an electronic kit to an acoustic kit, but she's been a good sport about it. In addition to being able to control the volume level going through my headphones, I like some of the "scenes" and effects built into the EAD, especially reverb, compression, and gated sounds. It does a nice job recreating some of the sounds and effects on popular recordings. Going back to an acoustic kit has also been wonderful in terms of sensitivity and dynamics, which all too often were problematic with the pads I was using with my e-kit, especially the snare and cymbal/hi-hat pads. I've not yet used the EAD10 for recording my practice sessions, but I intend to delve into that soon. I may also look into getting a Yamaha trigger to add samples from the module to the acoustic sounds of my Ludwig kit.

I bought mine back in December when Yamaha was offering a $50 rebate. That, on top of the 20%-off I got from Cascio, made this a very affordable tool compared to other e-kit and drum mic options. All in all, I highly recommend the EAD10 as a practice tool.

Last edited:

the_dude

Possibly DFO's Worst Drummer
Reaction score
Used mine live for the first time last Friday night. Usually only my bass drum is mic'ed. It was nice that it picked up my whole setup.
I also have a separate trigger for my snare and trigger a pad for miscellaneous sounds.
I'll definitely use it live from now on.
Love it in my drum room at home as well.

Last edited:

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
I use it for live applications. Basically, a quick and easy way to mic your toms. I also use a separate mic for my bass drum. This gives our Soundman more control.

pocketwave

Reaction score
I used my Yamaha EAD10 every practice session. Its really fun to used the Yamaha Rec n Share app to video songs. I really like the fact you can record for about 1:30 seconds with no external device as well. Great feed back when working on new or old beats, fills etc. The scenes are pretty cool, lots to pick from. I personally like the solid rock scene. I have a trigger on the snare as well, nice but not a must have. Great product!

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Call me stupid but can somebody give a good clear description on what the EAD10 exactly does? I went on Yamaha's website and I don't see a clear description of it's function. I use a Sample pad on my kit which has built in trigger pads and I can hook up individual triggers if I want to (I use one on my aux snare).
How does the EAD10 differ from this? What can it do that mine can't?
All I read is how revolutionary it is and how it's a game changer for acoustic drummers so now I'm highly intrigued by this device!

the_dude

Possibly DFO's Worst Drummer
Reaction score
Call me stupid but can somebody give a good clear description on what the EAD10 exactly does? I went on Yamaha's website and I don't see a clear description of it's function. I use a Sample pad on my kit which has built in trigger pads and I can hook up individual triggers if I want to (I use one on my aux snare).
All I read is how revolutionary it is and how it's a game changer for acoustic drummers so now I'm highly intrigued by this device!
Watch the Video on the Sweetwater site. Explained pretty well there.

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses on what this thing really does. I watched the videos and it's pretty cool but $500 seems quite high for this (I know it's a new device). I can see it at $399 and at that price I would probably get one. The DTX-Multi 12 is about $100 more and it's a pro level device so the price point in my opinion is off for the EAD-10. The EAD-10 from what I see is a Sample pad that's been stripped of the trigger pads and then they added a microphone. I do like the idea of that 1 central mike that picks up your whole kit though. I think that's pretty brilliant. I will continue to look into it.

xsabers

World's Second Most Okayest Drummer
Reaction score
You're stupid...

Didn't have time to read your whole post, sorry... :headbang:

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses on what this thing really does. I watched the videos and it's pretty cool but $500 seems quite high for this (I know it's a new device). I can see it at $399 and at that price I would probably get one. The DTX-Multi 12 is about $100 more and it's a pro level device so the price point in my opinion is off for the EAD-10. The EAD-10 from what I see is a Sample pad that's been stripped of the trigger pads and then they added a microphone. I do like the idea of that 1 central mike that picks up your whole kit though. I think that's pretty brilliant. I will continue to look into it.
Look around for various sales and you'll likely come across someone offering a 15-20% off coupon code. I did this with Cascio Interstate Music and got the EAD10 for $400, although I had to call them directly rather than purchase it through their website. I was lucky because Yamaha was offering a $50 rebate through the end of December.

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Look around for various sales and you'll likely come across someone offering a 15-20% off coupon code. I did this with Cascio Interstate Music and got the EAD10 for $400, although I had to call them directly rather than purchase it through their website. I was lucky because Yamaha was offering a $50 rebate through the end of December.
That's not bad, sounds like a fair deal. I might put it on my "birthday" list. Let's see what the wife says!
The list grows by the day so I have to go in order of likeability/importance.

xsabers

World's Second Most Okayest Drummer
Reaction score
Yes and not really. There is a function that allows you to use the built in bass drum trigger or user-added external triggers to trigger sampled sounds, just like a sample pad. But the unit does not trigger sounds via the mics. It actually adds effects to the mic'd sound, so the drum sound is a huge part of the equation. On-line demos tend to show the most extreme examples and the impact to the listener is similar to sampled drums, because you are hearing a line recording. In practice, the sounds can be far more nuanced than these extreme examples and the unit can, if you want, allow your drums to simply sound like your drums, adding just a touch of reverb or compression or any number of other effects, or a ton of each depending on what you want. It truly is your drums mic'd though, not a sample processor.

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yes and not really. There is a function that allows you to use the built in bass drum trigger or user-added external triggers to trigger sampled sounds, just like a sample pad. But the unit does not trigger sounds via the mics. It actually adds effects to the mic'd sound, so the drum sound is a huge part of the equation. On-line demos tend to show the most extreme examples and the impact to the listener is similar to sampled drums, because you are hearing a line recording. In practice, the sounds can be far more nuanced than these extreme examples and the unit can, if you want, allow your drums to simply sound like your drums, adding just a touch of reverb or compression or any number of other effects, or a ton of each depending on what you want. It truly is your drums mic'd though, not a sample processor.
OK so I get the part of it not being a full blown sample processor. It's a mike that listens to your drums and when you hit the drum it adds an effect along with your hit. But you can add external triggers that play sampled sounds? So when you have external triggers it is a sample processor but only then. Weird! But I guess it works. I think for now I will stick to my sample pad and external triggers (of course until I get to try this thing out in person). Then I will probably buy the darn thing because of course it will do something that mine cant. (I'm already seeing some things that would be beneficial for practice sessions)
Are the backup tracks what Yamaha calls scenes? (It says it comes with 50)? And can you expand these?
Also does it work with Android phones (I don't see anything about Android on Yamaha's website)? If it doesn't, I'm SOL because I use Android.

Last edited:

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
You're correct in that it has over 900 samples that can be triggered via pads or acoustic triggers. What the EAD10 offers over other sample processors is that you can easily mix the level of the sampled sound from the module with the acoustic drums sounds coming through the bass mounted mic. You can add more or less of the triggered sound as desired, making this a true hybrid module.

With the EAD10, "scenes" are not backup tracks. They're pre-sets (50 factory plus additional user-programmed scenes) similar to what are labeled "kits" on most other electronic drum modules. Each scene has varying types and degrees of effects such as reverb, compression, gating, etc. You can easily modify a factory "scene" and store it as a custom user scene.

One disappointment I have is that at the present time is that Yamaha's Rec 'nShare app is not yet available for Android phones. I've read that "it's coming" but I've not heard anything firm in terms of a projected release date.

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
You're correct in that it has over 900 samples that can be triggered via pads or acoustic triggers. What the EAD10 offers over other sample processors is that you can easily mix the level of the sampled sound from the module with the acoustic drums sounds coming through the bass mounted mic. You can add more or less of the triggered sound as desired, making this a true hybrid module.

With the EAD10, "scenes" are not backup tracks. They're pre-sets (50 factory plus additional user-programmed scenes) similar to what are labeled "kits" on most other electronic drum modules. Each scene has varying types and degrees of effects such as reverb, compression, gating, etc. You can easily modify a factory "scene" and store it as a custom user scene.

One disappointment I have is that at the present time is that Yamaha's Rec 'nShare app is not yet available for Android phones. I've read that "it's coming" but I've not heard anything firm in terms of a projected release date.
Thanks for the info. I understand now about the scenes. As for the backup tracks from what I've read are accesible thru the app and as you stated, it's not on Android. I read on other websites people asking about the app for Android back in 2017 and Yamaha says: "coming soon". I see it as doubtful if 2 years pass and it's yet to be available. I will have to skip on the EAD for now unless I buy an iPad in the future.

Gunnellett

Reaction score
Has anyone used both the Yamaha EAD10 and the Sabian Sound Kit? If so, do you mind giving your thoughts on how they compare to each other please?

I know they are not quite the same thing, and with different prices, but both seem to be aimed at helping drummers with simple micing, practicing, recording, etc.

Does one system excel at one thing and the other system at another?

Latest posts