Yamaha EAD10

simedgoose

Reaction score
You lose no functionality of the EAD itself. It’s just the Rec’n’Share app which is iOS. You can still record/mic your kit, effect it etc just like every other EAD user. You can also use the EAD to record directly into your computer (yes, both PC and Mac) over USB.

rikkrebs

DFO Master
Reaction score
I watched part of the video posted earlier, and am wondering how well it works on larger setups. My regular kit is a 2 up/2 down with ride, 3 crashes, splash, and china. Would my second floor tom be picked up in balance? How about if I added 2 small toms on my left? What do you do if you have 2 bass drums? Was this covered in the latter stages of the video?

Has anyone tried the device on a big set?

Two up and two down might work. However, any bigger would certainly be an issue. I can't see how double bass would work at all. On a 4/5 piece it's amazing.

xsabers

World's Second Most Okayest Drummer
Reaction score
Two up and two down might work. However, any bigger would certainly be an issue. I can't see how double bass would work at all. On a 4/5 piece it's amazing.
Double bass would work fine using a single after market trigger into one of the trigger inputs. The spread of the toms on a larger kit would be more of an issue.

musiqman

Reaction score
I tried two up two down, and that didn’t worked as good as I wanted it unfortunately, even after changing the settings.

The concept over all is great though. Also because of the app, with links to dropbox (to load backing tracks), the metronome function, and the option to share on social media (it makes making instagram or youtube videos a breeze

prplx

Reaction score
I just rent one for a month for 40$, totally refundable if I decide to buy at after the month. I suggest you guys interested in one do that. As for the bigger kit question, I now have 2 up one down set up, but the 2 up are off set to the left, and I did notice the 10" tom further to the left is not as loud, same for the high hat that is pushed away in this config. On the opposite the ride sitting almost n top of it is almost too loud. I will try to center the 2 toms and see how it goes.

So far I really like it. As other said, it is great for practicing to existing song (I play in a cover band), or just to noodle on the kit. My kit sound great with it.

I do have a question: I download the app, and it works playing songs, witht he clic and all... But when I tried recording, I got a message saying: plug the app to a supported Yamaha device... ?? Anyone got that message? Any way arubnd that?

Also in the unit I have one of the wire makes a lot of static noise when I move it, and random static noise until I fiddle with it. Is the wire defective?

Gunnellett

Reaction score
I just rent one for a month for 40$, totally refundable if I decide to buy at after the month. I suggest you guys interested in one do that. As for the bigger kit question, I now have 2 up one down set up, but the 2 up are off set to the left, and I did notice the 10" tom further to the left is not as loud, same for the high hat that is pushed away in this config. On the opposite the ride sitting almost n top of it is almost too loud. I will try to center the 2 toms and see how it goes.

So far I really like it. As other said, it is great for practicing to existing song (I play in a cover band), or just to noodle on the kit. My kit sound great with it.

I do have a question: I download the app, and it works playing songs, witht he clic and all... But when I tried recording, I got a message saying: plug the app to a supported Yamaha device... ?? Anyone got that message? Any way arubnd that?

Also in the unit I have one of the wire makes a lot of static noise when I move it, and random static noise until I fiddle with it. Is the wire defective?
Are you renting from a local music store or a major retailer? Renting one for a month to see if it would work for me seems like a great idea. Especially if the rental fee can be applied towards the purchase.

prplx

Reaction score
Are you renting from a local music store or a major retailer? Renting one for a month to see if it would work for me seems like a great idea. Especially if the rental fee can be applied towards the purchase.
Long and McQuade, major retailer in Canada.

Gunnellett

Reaction score
No dice at the local guitar center as far as renting.

I'll probably wait for the online retailers to have a 15-20% or so sale and hope the EAD10 is included. The couple of times I've recently checked the main online retailers, it didn't qualify for the discount but I've read where a few folks have gotten theirs discounted so hopefully.

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

I'll probably wait for the online retailers to have a 15-20% or so sale and hope the EAD10 is included. The couple of times I've recently checked the main online retailers, it didn't qualify for the discount but I've read where a few folks have gotten theirs discounted so hopefully.
Have you tried calling one of the sales engineers? When I need something expensive I always call the same guy at Musicians friend. Over the phone they usually can give you big discounts like that 15-20% that you need (unless something's already on sale) and sometimes they even include incentives like bonus rewards points and stuff like that. Last year I did a purchase thru them that was like $1500 and he gave me extra points and after the points were available (you have to wait for the return period to pass) I had like $225 which I used for a Supralite snare which came out free. Not bad!
I buy from them because they have good discounts, rewards & customer service. Locally I only have Sam Ash and Guitar Center and I usually don't find what I need there except last week which they actually had a Tune-bot and a head that I bought. If you are interested, PM me and I can give you the guys number, extension and email.
LRod

Gunnellett

Reaction score
Have you tried calling one of the sales engineers? When I need something expensive I always call the same guy at Musicians friend. Over the phone they usually can give you big discounts like that 15-20% that you need (unless something's already on sale) and sometimes they even include incentives like bonus rewards points and stuff like that. Last year I did a purchase thru them that was like $1500 and he gave me extra points and after the points were available (you have to wait for the return period to pass) I had like $225 which I used for a Supralite snare which came out free. Not bad!
I buy from them because they have good discounts, rewards & customer service. Locally I only have Sam Ash and Guitar Center and I usually don't find what I need there except last week which they actually had a Tune-bot and a head that I bought. If you are interested, PM me and I can give you the guys number, extension and email.
LRod
Good thought. I forgot I had an email, and a phone call, from personal "Sales Engineer" at musicians friend and I've made purchases from them so maybe I have some points built up. I'll give the guy a call. If that doesn't work, I'll try your guy. Thanks!

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Good thought. I forgot I had an email, and a phone call, from personal "Sales Engineer" at musicians friend and I've made purchases from them so maybe I have some points built up. I'll give the guy a call. If that doesn't work, I'll try your guy. Thanks!
No problem! Let us know how it goes.

halldorl

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I’ve been using the EAD for small club gigs as micing system. I did add a snare trigger. Works wonderful sound wise PLUS I run the band monitor mix through the aux input and use in-ears via headphone output. That way I can control the balance between the band and the drums. Pretty darn neat I’d say. Love this thing.

Buffalo_drummer

Reaction score
Has anyone used one of these with a set that has Remo Silent Stroke heads and with the low volume cymbals like the Zildjian LV 80s? Wonder how well the EAD10 mic would pick up the heads and cymbals.

If it picks them up decently, that could make a great low volume practice set with the benefits of EAD10. Kinda like an electronic set.
I believe Kenny Sharrets posted a video using the EAD with external triggers on mesh heads for his practice kit

Gunnellett

Reaction score
I believe Kenny Sharrets posted a video using the EAD with external triggers on mesh heads for his practice kit
Thanks. I'll see if I can find it. I watched a few videos of people using them with mesh heads and LV cymbals with most people getting decent results. I'm not expecting it to sound like my other drums, just hoping the trigger and mic picks everything up to practice along with it and maybe one or two of the scenes will give it a decent sound.

Trying to use with mesh heads is why I liked the idea of renting first to test it out.

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

Cascio Music has a 22% off promotion through today. I bought my EAD10 from them back in December when they had a similar offering. You have to call them directly to get the discount. The coupon code won't work through their website store due to manufacturer restrictions.

Gunnellett

Reaction score
Cascio Music has a 22% off promotion through today. I bought my EAD10 from them back in December when they had a similar offering. You have to call them directly to get the discount. The coupon code won't work through their website store due to manufacturer restrictions.
Awesome. I'll check it out.

dsop

Reaction score
I watched part of the video posted earlier, and am wondering how well it works on larger setups. My regular kit is a 2 up/2 down with ride, 3 crashes, splash, and china. Would my second floor tom be picked up in balance? How about if I added 2 small toms on my left? What do you do if you have 2 bass drums? Was this covered in the latter stages of the video?

Has anyone tried the device on a big set?
I have two floor toms, and the last one, furtherst from the unit, is not picked up well at all. The polar pattern from the unit is pretty tight I guess, and that makes sense. Otherwise it would be useless in a live situation playing other musicians who have amps close by, let alone any floor monitors.

deegeebee

Reaction score
I’ve been using the EAD for small club gigs as micing system. I did add a snare trigger. Works wonderful sound wise PLUS I run the band monitor mix through the aux input and use in-ears via headphone output. That way I can control the balance between the band and the drums. Pretty darn neat I’d say. Love this thing.
This sounds like it could be worthwhile. Have you had any issues with it picking up other instruments live? Is the mix between the toms, hats and cymbals good enough? Do you have any control over that?

Thanks

Thumper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
So far, Iv'e heard no one talk about cymbal representation in mix. Couple questions but no replies; did I miss any?