Yamaha EAD10

Mr OMalley

Reaction score
I have been thinking to combine the two.
Interestingly at the weekend my band played a gig, the first at which I have tried out the EAD10 properly. The venue was a civic centre so there were approx 300 people in for it. My band was supporting the headliner. the stage area was pretty big, with in house PA. I got talking to the headliner guys (a Zep tribute). His mic set up was modelled on the Glyn Johns set up. Sounded nice.
Anyway, I was connected from the module into a QSC k8.2 2kw powered speaker which was then routed into the in-house PA. [ I didnt know what arrangements would be in place and at most of our venues we have no idea]. So i recently invested in my own PA, solely for the drums. It's plenty powerful enough. I set it as far away from the sensor unit (in this case about 6 feet away). My settings were +3 on the mic sensor, 100 on the trigger. Set the master volume to about the 11am position and set the QSC to about 1pm. We had literally a couple of minutes to set it up with practically no time for soundcheck and I couldnt get anyone to test the drums for me but using this method I didnt get any feedback. At first when the mic was set right up there at about 20 I was getting feedback at the 9 oclock positiion but using the settings that I went with I go very good ambient projection. I listened to some of the footage and its all nicely balanced. I thought that I might to insert a separate mic into the kick drum but there was no time and in the event it wasnt necessary.
What I dont know the answer to is whether it would be actually better to mic up the powered speaker and connect that to the main PA, in that way replicating the effects set up on the powered speaker since on the night the sound guy justconnected into the mixer with my xlr cable.
so, finally I have stumbled across a system that appears to wor pretty well. I also use all of the 3 trigger inputs for percussion effects at with the trigger setting at 100 this more than adequately projected through the PA.
I'm not sure whether adding the Sabian sound kit will add anything material and often there is simply no time to have the luxury of setting up a lot of sound equipment after the kit has been set up etc. time just seems to fly by.
But ive spent a lot of time fiddling around and trying out things so I hope this is useful for others...

Gunnellett

Reaction score
Hey guys. I bought an EAD10 and have a question about hooking it up to my PA system. I'm not knowledgeable when it comes to PA's.

I just have a simple Harbinger M120 that is 120 watts, has 4 channels, and 2 speakers that I use for our jam space.

What is the proper way to hook up to the PA? Just run a single cord from the L/Mono plug-in on the back of the EAD10 and plug the other end to one of the channels on the PA?

xsabers

World's Second Most Okayest Drummer
Reaction score
Hey guys. I bought an EAD10 and have a question about hooking it up to my PA system. I'm not knowledgeable when it comes to PA's.

I just have a simple Harbinger M120 that is 120 watts, has 4 channels, and 2 speakers that I use for our jam space.

What is the proper way to hook up to the PA? Just run a single cord from the L/Mono plug-in on the back of the EAD10 and plug the other end to one of the channels on the PA?
That will work.

xsabers

Reaction score
Thanks. Is there a better way to hook up to the PA?

Are the left and right outputs on the back of the unit for if you are using 2 powered speakers?
No, the L - R are if you are running stereo. Or in my case, to two separate destinations; one to the PA and one to my personal mixer for my in-ears.

halldorl

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
On my last gig the mic unit on the bass drum came loose and fell off. I tightened it down but same thing happened just a few minutes later. I had to use gaffer to tape it down. It´s happening all the time now. It´s a pretty heavy unit and the bass hoop is high gloss laquer, maybe that´s a factor. Me don´t like.

xsabers

Reaction score
On my last gig the mic unit on the bass drum came loose and fell off. I tightened it down but same thing happened just a few minutes later. I had to use gaffer to tape it down. It´s happening all the time now. It´s a pretty heavy unit and the bass hoop is high gloss laquer, maybe that´s a factor. Me don´t like.
I'm thinking that it's been damaged. Check the threads to see if they are stripped causing it to loosen. I've been using mine for well over a year on lacquered hoops and it's very snug. I would think that the trigger would be a problem if the unit isn't snug to the hoop. It would seem like gaffers' tape wouldn't hold sufficiently to allow the trigger to be accurate.

Mr OMalley

Reaction score
I'm thinking that it's been damaged. Check the threads to see if they are stripped causing it to loosen. I've been using mine for well over a year on lacquered hoops and it's very snug. I would think that the trigger would be a problem if the unit isn't snug to the hoop. It would seem like gaffers' tape wouldn't hold sufficiently to allow the trigger to be accurate.
Yes, perhaps at one point it has been over tightened. I have found it troublesome to get a consistent trigger signal. The trigger element has to be really snug against the bass droom hoop. I noticed that one side of my bass drum hoop is curved, to enable the lugs to be attached more snugly but my hoop is flat edged on the other side. If you swap your hoop around so that the lugs and the trigger unit touch a flat edge you will achieve a more snug fit.

Mr OMalley

Reaction score
Hi, I spoke to a retailer about using the EAD and the Sabian Sound kit together. Apparently, you can feed out of the Mono output in the EAD10 into the Aux left input on the Soundkit. Then you hit the "Send" button on the soundkit. You can then blend in the Aux level with the levels from the 1, 2 and 3 mic inputs on the Soundkit, send a Mon or Stereo cable out from the soundkit into the FOH and you then have the EAD and the Soundkit working together.

Trilock_Gurtu

Reaction score

Wes! You got one, that's awesome. How are you liking it? I'm thinking of picking one up...

Gunnellett

Reaction score
Wes! You got one, that's awesome. How are you liking it? I'm thinking of picking one up...
Hey Ryan.

I'm not sure yet. I really want to like it. I've had it for a couple of months but due to my busy work schedule, I was only able th o actually take it out of the box a week ago at a band practice for the first time.

I didn't really get it set up well as I was trying to hurry reading the directions and getting to playing. I was only able to hook it up in mono ( need more th time to best figure out how to hook to a PA). It seemed like the mic wasn't picking up the kit well but I just went with it and figured I'd dial it in later.

I love the idea of it, just not convinced it works best for me. I actually need more time with it.

If I had an Apple phone I would have a lot more options when using the system.

I'll bring it by the next time I swing by your studio so you can try it and see what you think.

Wes

Latest posts