Yamaha Experts, Help needed with 9000RC Serial Number please.

Kevaruka

Reaction score
Have just bought a 14x8 9000 Recording Custom Snare Drum to match my kit. Model is SD-980RP. The Serial just shows "KP" No numbers. Any ideas please?

Many thanks & kind regards, Kevin.

Attachments

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The serial number is "SD-980RP KP." Some or most of the drums in the middle 80's didn't get the 4-5 digits following the yr/mo of production (ie KP in your case). And that's not that big a deal since drums grouped within 1-3 months of each other is pretty common for a kit...sometimes even wider. The 4 digit production line number only breaks it down further for that particular month. I've had several Yamaha 1980's kits where all they had were the 2 letters like yours. The 2 letter configuration seems pretty common from 1981-1985. And in the later 80's most of the drums seem to get a 4 digit number added on. But the 2 letters is all you need to date them.

KP = 1984 - Sept.

The early 1980's RC's came with the RF option (recording force....or 2" deeper on the rack toms). I'm guessing your snare is RP for recording custom "power"....or 8" deep. I think they only made these from 1982-1985. They don't show up in the earlier or later catalogs. And Yamaha's drum catalogs are rather sparse in the 1982-1985 period.

Following Yamaha's typical number scheme for snare drums, the 980 would indicate 900 series (RC), 80 is 8.0" deep). Some others might be 965 which would be a 6.5" deep RC snare. Did your drum come with the metal or plastic extended snare guides? I'd bet those vintage 1980's RC's are pretty scarce in England. Cool drum....thanks for sharing.

Last edited:

Kevaruka

Reaction score
The serial number is "SD-980RP KP." Some or most of the drums in the middle 80's didn't get the 4-5 digits following the yr/mo of production (ie KP in your case). And that's not that big a deal since drums grouped within 1-3 months of each other is pretty common for a kit...sometimes even wider. The 4 digit production line number only breaks it down further for that particular month. I've had several Yamaha 1980's kits where all they had were the 2 letters like yours. The 2 letter configuration seems pretty common from 1981-1985. And in the later 80's most of the drums seem to get a 4 digit number added on. But the 2 letters is all you need to date them.

KP = 1984 - Sept.

The early 1980's RC's came with the RF option (recording force....or 2" deeper on the rack toms). I'm guessing your snare is RP for recording custom "power"....or 8" deep. I think they only made these from 1982-1985. They don't show up in the earlier or later catalogs. And Yamaha's drum catalogs are rather sparse in the 1982-1985 period.

Following Yamaha's typical number scheme for snare drums, the 980 would indicate 900 series (RC), 80 is 8.0" deep). Some others might be 965 which would be a 6.5" deep RC snare. Did your drum come with the metal or plastic extended snare guides? I'd bet those vintage 1980's RC's are pretty scarce in England. Cool drum....thanks for sharing.

Thank you so much for this. Hugely informative & invaluable :) This snare has the plastic extended guides & has extended snare wires also. When I picked it up yesterday, it still had the original snare head & also the original Snare Wire Straps fitted. I changed both of these as a matter of course :)

Attachments

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the photos. Best I can tell, those plastic extenders were used from 1982-1984....and possibly as long as 1981-1985. They used the metal rollers on their higher line snare drums before and after that date range. I think I can recall seeing at least one Yamaha drum with only a single letter stamped on the badge. During the Made in Taiwan, ROC years of 1977-1980 for the 9000 and 7000 drums, they usually have 4 digits following the 2 letters - and essentially always with a leading 5....for example "PZ 5XXX."

Last edited:

Kevaruka

Reaction score
Again, thank you for your reply. My RC kit was easy to date via the Yamaha page but wouldn't recognise this snare for some reason.
Wonder why they changed from metal rollers to plastic then back to metal? This one is in perfect condition :)

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Maybe trying to save money on those metal parts....or....maybe to make the overall added weight lighter and/or an improvement in tone? Whatever the reason they shelved it....probably didn't work out that well. Those plastic parts breaking under tension (or when dropped) could have been part of it. I've had a couple of these snares with the plastic guides....and they were the original ones with everything intact. I carry an NOS one just in case one breaks someday.

The Yamaha drum vault tool for identifying drums via model numbers does have some glitches. There are errors in a small part of the data, especially when it comes to the birch/camelia shells in the 1978-1982 period. I don't know why it doesn't recognize your drum as a "SD-980RP." I put through every permutation of that and it doesn't respond to any of them. Seen other SD-980RP badges on REVERB so it's a standard label. The Yamaha Drum Vault tool has some holes in it.

Last edited:

Kevaruka

Reaction score
Maybe trying to save money on those metal parts....or....maybe to make the overall added weight lighter and/or an improvement in tone? Whatever the reason they shelved it....probably didn't work out that well. Those plastic parts breaking under tension (or when dropped) could have been part of it. I've had a couple of these snares with the plastic guides....and they were the original ones with everything intact. I carry an NOS one just in case one breaks someday.

The Yamaha drum vault tool for identifying drums via model numbers does have some glitches. There are errors in a small part of the data, especially when it comes to the birch/camelia shells in the 1978-1982 period. I don't know why it doesn't recognize your drum as a "SD-980RP." I put through every permutation of that and it doesn't respond to any of them. Seen other SD-980RP badges on REVERB so it's a standard label. The Yamaha Drum Vault tool has some holes in it.
Yes, I tried every combination of the number & it didn't like any of them. At least I know now thanks to you :)
The plastic guide seems to work very well but does look a little delicate. Luckily this drum won't come out very often & probably won't be used live. I only really got it as it matches my kit perfectly :) I only use the kit for recording though so, the snare will be the same :)

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've seen the badge color discussed before. I've never really kept data on it. But it's logical that that the Made In Taiwan drums from 1977-1980 came with silver badges. And the MIJ drums beginning at some point in the early 1980's probably came with that pinkish or rose color. My 1982 Tour Series (8000) drums have those same pinkish badges....so it's not just a 9000/YRC series feature. Maybe it came about as Yamaha made that transition from 9000/7000 series drums into YRC's and 8000's around 1981/82. Maybe it was a way of identifying a new "era," new styles of drums, and the end of the Made In Taiwan ROC period?

Latest posts