Yamaha Floor Tom Leg Swivels

RyanLovesDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hi, ever since I got my 1990 Yamaha kit I’ve had problems with one or two of the floor tom legs moving/swiveling when I don’t want want it to. It’s like the bracket is not securing the leg properly. I’m not sure if it’s because the legs are worn out and can’t grip or it’s the bracket. Below are some pics of the leg on there correctly and when it’s swiveled. Is there a quick fix to this? Anyone know? Thanks
B8FFB176-645C-4CD8-B58C-DB2E9DCED511.jpeg
3F3BD951-0800-4E0F-BF00-9EE93CFEBD90.jpeg

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
there's an eye-bolt inside there I assume.
wonder if flipping it upside down would have an effect (lol serious) You have the head off already take it apart
Or raise the floor tom up out of the leg position it's always in just a little and see if it stays

RyanLovesDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
wonder if flipping it upside down would have an effect (lol serious) You have the head off already take it apart
Or raise the floor tom up out of the leg position it's always in just a little and see if it stays
I put the legs the other way like you said. Seems to be more solid
1C8DA260-7C25-4C6E-8E9B-2EAFBA06050E.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: JDA

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey if it works..
zero in on the leg area (where they were)...must be worn +/-
But you're good

cruddola

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi, ever since I got my 1990 Yamaha kit I’ve had problems with one or two of the floor tom legs moving/swiveling when I don’t want want it to. It’s like the bracket is not securing the leg properly. I’m not sure if it’s because the legs are worn out and can’t grip or it’s the bracket. Below are some pics of the leg on there correctly and when it’s swiveled. Is there a quick fix to this? Anyone know? Thanks View attachment 529724 View attachment 529725
Try a Memory-lock. I forgot which one was perfect back when I went with putting all my drums, including floor toms and bass drums on the HexRack system. It might have been a Tama Titan memory-lock that was perfect on my Rock Tour Custom 18-inch floor tom. I had two that didn't like to stay in place so I put a memory-lock on everything.

repete

This one goes to eleven
Reaction score
It’s hard to tell from the first picture but if you were trying to tighten it where it’s not knurled that could be part of the problem and why it works better upside down.

RyanLovesDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It’s hard to tell from the first picture but if you were trying to tighten it where it’s not knurled that could be part of the problem and why it works better upside down.
No it’s tightened where it’s knurled in the pic. We’ll see if this works better with them upside down and once I start moving the tom around and stuff. I do like Cruddola’s idea of getting memory locks. I might look into that.

Geardaddy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I would guess that the knurling on the leg is possibly worn down where you have been clamping it (in the first picture). By turning the drum upside down you are clamping the leg on un-worn knurling (second picture) which is why it's holding better. I had that happen on an older Yamaha kit that had those legs and mounts. I replaced the legs and it disappeared.

RyanLovesDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I would guess that the knurling on the leg is possibly worn down where you have been clamping it (in the first picture). By turning the drum upside down you are clamping the leg on un-worn knurling (second picture) which is why it's holding better. I had that happen on an older Yamaha kit that had those legs and mounts. I replaced the legs and it disappeared.
That sounds about right. Yeah by the way there’s a total of three pictures on this thread. The last picture of course is with the legs upside down and you’re right it probably works better because that portion of the legs are unused. Where did you get your floor tom leg replacements?

repete

This one goes to eleven
Reaction score
If you can’t find official memory locks, rubber hose clamps are cheap and work well. Also if the legs are finally worn in each original spot it means they’ve been putting in the same bracket over time. You could just move them to a different bracket

RyanLovesDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If you can’t find official memory locks, rubber hose clamps are cheap and work well. Also if the legs are finally worn in each original spot it means they’ve been putting in the same bracket over time. You could just move them to a different bracket
I’ve tried moving them to a different bracket. There’s always one that wants to swivel and move. What is a rubber hose clamp? Should I just type that into Amazon or something?

FloydZKing

fire bad!
Reaction score
A rare example of poor design from Yamaha. The castings fatigue over time and the load-bearing point sinks a bit, weakening the eyebolt's grip. Kinda sucko, haven't solved it yet - just need new ones. Long out of production, that is...

drumgadget

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

I think Joe is correct about the design of this particular clamp/mount; gotta say, my least favorite way of securing a small-diameter rod (knurled or not!) to the side of a cylindrical shell. It is, however, very common; worst offender in my personal collection is the Gretsch Techware mount ..... I've never had a Yamaha kit or had to service one. The problem is indeed wear on the knurling either on the leg or on the inside of the eye bolt. Not much you can do about this, except to move the two parts so that a fresh knurled surface is presented to the eye bolt. When things start to slip, the natural reaction is to honk down on the fixing nut; this just makes the problem worse. I once had a used Techware mount that I had to add a shim washer under the fixing nut. The end result is going to be either a stripped thread or a mount shell casting with one side collapsed inward. Don't ..... or don't let a friend ...... over-tighten any threaded fastener on your kit.

The fixes are two: as cruddola and repete have said, memory locks are your friend ..... at least to take the weight of the drum trying to slide down on the leg. But your problem is rotation; that's why the proper memory lock for the mount has a little tab that inserts into the mount casting to prevent twisting. If you can't find a lock that will insert into your mount casting, any mem lock clamp (or a hose clamp - got a hardware store nearby?) could still help stabilize things.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-1-2-1-1-4-in-Stainless-Steel-Hose-Clamp-6712595/202309385

The best way to fix? Depending on how much you value the drum, a complete change to a hinged clamp could be in order. Of course, your chances of the holes in the shell lining up are slim to none ...... but that's where you'll have to choose between form vs function! You might also look at the INDe BR2/BR2XL .... the holes MIGHT line up ........... thanks to Josh's mounting bolt spacing universality.

For me, anyway ....... the look of my kit with the floor tom lying on it's side, but with "correct" mounts ...... is a pretty lousy "form" ........ I'll take "function" anytime!

M.

RyanLovesDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

musiqman

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
A rare example of poor design from Yamaha. The castings fatigue over time and the load-bearing point sinks a bit, weakening the eyebolt's grip. Kinda sucko, haven't solved it yet - just need new ones. Long out of production, that is...
Not poor design, but age and usage.

Its more then (edit) 30 years old, and maybe that one leg was used more then the others.

And thousands have been made and sold, so one can always slip through the QC.

Unfortunately the bracket nor the eyelet are discontinued and have an order stop. They donpop up on used sites from time to time though.

Last edited:

1988fxlr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I doubt the actual knurling on the legs is the culprit, because that would only effect the tightening in a single spot. The eye bolts are likely worn. If the yamaha part is unavailable, Gibraltar sells eye bolts. Take off the bracket, swap the eye and you should be good as new

RyanLovesDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The guy I bought these from toured with them and he’s kind of a hair metal rocker guy so I’m sure they’ve been through the wringer.