Yamaha Floor Tom Leg Swivels

KevinD

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
You could try to put some tape around the leg to give the bracket something more to grip against, or for a more aesthetic solution, try some shrink wrap on it.. For a more Rube Goldberg solution you can try and shim a cable tie (the knurled part of that) into the eye where it tightens against the leg.
Of course, as stated above there are various types of memory locks out there (drum-specific and generic) that could help.

squidart

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I doubt the actual knurling on the legs is the culprit, because that would only effect the tightening in a single spot. The eye bolts are likely worn. If the yamaha part is unavailable, Gibraltar sells eye bolts. Take off the bracket, swap the eye and you should be good as new

Another vote for new eye bolts + some sort of memory lock. Shaft collars or drill stop collars work well if you can't find a proprietary Yammy.

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
If you can’t find official memory locks, rubber hose clamps are cheap and work well. Also if the legs are finally worn in each original spot it means they’ve been putting in the same bracket over time. You could just move them to a different bracket
I use hose clamps as memory locks on my floor tom legs (and cymbal stands). They actually came in handy at a gig when the leg bracket failed. I usually keep the legs on the drum with the memory lock above the bracket, and just drop them down into position to play. Had to swap the hose clamp to the bottom but it held enough to get me through the gig.

Hose clamps or another type of memory lock will hold them somewhat, but the best fix is to replace the eye bolt or even just the whole bracket. It would frustrate me and it's worth the money to me to fix it properly.

kallen49

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 1987, 7000 series, 16” floor tom and one lug has the same slipping problem. As a previous poster mentioned I found a slightly thicker leg for that lug and just put a piece of coloured electrical tape on that leg and the corresponding lug so I match them correctly when setting up.

In May I installed Inde B3 lugs on a 15” marching snare, converted to be a floor tom, and use with Inde aluminum tom legs.
If I ever wanted to replace the Yamaha floor tom lugs legs I would buy them again,
not inexpensive but super light, works great and fits without drilling new holes.

RyanLovesDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a 1987, 7000 series, 16” floor tom and one lug has the same slipping problem. As a previous poster mentioned I found a slightly thicker leg for that lug and just put a piece of coloured electrical tape on that leg and the corresponding lug so I match them correctly when setting up.

In May I installed Inde B3 lugs on a 15” marching snare, converted to be a floor tom, and use with Inde aluminum tom legs.
If I ever wanted to replace the Yamaha floor tom lugs legs I would buy them again,
not inexpensive but super light, works great and fits without drilling new holes.
Can you buy just one floor tom leg and do you suggest Inde if I get one?

kallen49

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can you buy just one floor tom leg and do you suggest Inde if I get one?
I don’t know about individual legs but I’ve had quick replies from Josh when I’ve contacted him in the past.
I suggest Inde for replacement leg lugs because they adjust to different hole spacings so can fit the existing holes and they are well made.