Yamaha FP9 Direct Drive?

MBB

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The Tama Dyna Sync thread is giving that pedal fantastic reviews. Anybody try the Yamaha FP9 direct drive? It looks to have some real nice features as well.

Piggpenn

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Good solid pedal. Easy to attach and remove.
Just like most any good quality pedal. The adjustment capability is astounding.
I immediately started using it for gigging and it was an easy transition.
Plus it looks cool! That's most important.

MBB

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Good to hear someone has tried one. I like the way is looks as well. Very simple and clean. BTW with your screen name are you a G Dead fan, Peanuts fan, both or neither?

kickassdrummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Super adjustable, rock solid, great feel. I will say, the beater weights make a huge difference! I'll also add, the chain drive is excellent too. It's a very subtle difference between the 2, in my opinion.

Last edited:

Radio King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
A reviewer from Drum! magazine stated (in his otherwise glowing review):

"One gripe I have with both models is that the cams extend so far forward that they can rub the batter heads of any bass drum with a 2” deep hoop."

That would be a definite negative to me. Have any owners here found that to be the case?

Last edited:

kickassdrummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
^That is total BS. Not an issue at all. I don't know what that guy was doing! I've found the quality of their reviews to be extremely subpar of late.

Piggpenn

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Good to hear someone has tried one. I like the way is looks as well. Very simple and clean. BTW with your screen name are you a G Dead fan, Peanuts fan, both or neither?
Yeah, something like that. LOL

Actually it was a nick-name from racing on dirt tracks. My car had a permanent "dusty" paint job that looked like the trail Pigpen on Peanuts would stir up. Thanks for your question.

simedgoose

Reaction score
I’ve used it. Don’t recognise the ‘problem’ above at all. Exceptionally smooth, feels great, looks great (not that this is important but... that blue!) and particularly love the spring tensioners (so simple - why has no one done this before?) and the beater weights (always been sceptical but could notice a real difference). My only observation was that I felt I was playing the kick early when I first changed (from a Yamaha strap drive) and this took an hour or so until I was happy. Great bit of engineering.

Targalx

Reaction score
I have a chain-drive FP9. No problem with the cams rubbing against the heads. I haven't bought a brand new pedal in a long time (maybe 15+ years?), so this was a big change for me -- but definitely a great one. The only thing I'm still getting used to is the lack of traction grooves on the pedalboard. My previous Yamaha pedalboards were covered in grooves, but this one's a bit different. But I'm loving it!

dsop

Reaction score
I had the chain drive FP9 but couldn't get comfortable with it. I tried the strap, then the chain, and it just felt too heavy compared to the FP-9500C, so I went back to the older Yamaha. I really wanted to love the FP9. Top quality construction and parts and easily adjustable.

Drum Gear Review

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
^That is total BS. Not an issue at all. I don't know what that guy was doing! I've found the quality of their reviews to be extremely subpar of late.
I wrote that review. Tried the pedal on three different bass drums and ran into the same problem with each. No extreme angle on the bass drums either. Not sure what else I could have done to create that issue, but I've spoken to other FP9 users who, like you and others in this thread, haven't experienced it at all either. I thought I got a production model, but there's a chance I got an earlier prototype or something.

Not trying to be confrontational here, but I'd love to know what else you've found subpar about Drum's reviews lately. I write just about all of them, so I'm the one letting you down. Feel free to PM me with feedback.

Piggpenn

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I wrote that review. Tried the pedal on three different bass drums and ran into the same problem with each. No extreme angle on the bass drums either. Not sure what else I could have done to create that issue, but I've spoken to other FP9 users who, like you and others in this thread, haven't experienced it at all either. I thought I got a production model, but there's a chance I got an earlier prototype or something.
Maybe I should not get involved but just curious if you could post pictures of the problems? I'd like to see what you mean.

kickassdrummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

Not trying to be confrontational here, but I'd love to know what else you've found subpar about Drum's reviews lately. I write just about all of them, so I'm the one letting you down. Feel free to PM me with feedback.
Thanks for responding. I apologize if my post came across super negative, and certainly I didn't intend to be personal. I've since come to realize that your review was cross-posted by Drum Magazine, and that is who I was referring to with the subpar reviews of late (principally videos - see below for what I mean). Yours (on your website) are well-written. I am baffled as to how you ran into this issue with the FP9s, as I can't even purposely try to make it happen. Super weird. I just feel like it's unfortunate that your experience will turn people off when in reality it's a non-factor with the pedals as noted by many of us. Would be great if you could determine if you had a prototype and clarify it in the review.

As for Drum Magazine, it's videos like this, presented as a legit product review, that I find concerning:

Drum Gear Review

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Maybe I should not get involved but just curious if you could post pictures of the problems? I'd like to see what you mean.
I probably took about a dozen photos of the issue and the pedal settings when I experienced it, but I can't find any pictures I took of the pedal during that review right now. Just searched through all of my files again. I must have accidentally scrubbed them or something because we didn't use any of my photos in the piece either.

This was months ago during a really busy review period, and I can only imagine I accidentally wiped a memory card before pulling the FP9 photos or something during the blitz. I normally over-document everything on these reviews and keep detailed photos of any issues so they can run in the online pieces or so I can provide them to the manufacturer if they have questions.

TRULY frustrating that I can't find the photos for this instance, and it's making me think I'm going insane since I've not spoken with literally anyone else that has experienced the same thing I did.

I know Jim from Yamaha posts here. This might be a tricky question to ask publicly, but if he's available to chime in here with some idea of whether or not any version of this pedal created the issue I experienced, that might help.

I really loved those pedals and would hate for an isolated incident to dissuade people from purchasing one, but it would have been dishonest for me to leave it out of the article.

Thanks for responding. I apologize if my post came across super negative, and certainly I didn't intend to be personal. I've since come to realize that your review was cross-posted by Drum Magazine, and that is who I was referring to with the subpar reviews of late (principally videos - see below for what I mean). Yours (on your website) are well-written. I am baffled as to how you ran into this issue with the FP9s, as I can't even purposely try to make it happen. Super weird. I just feel like it's unfortunate that your experience will turn people off when in reality it's a non-factor with the pedals as noted by many of us. Would be great if you could determine if you had a prototype and clarify it in the review.

As for Drum Magazine, it's videos like this, presented as a legit product review, that I find concerning:
I have to stand by my editor here. We were experimenting with some different formats and ideas for gear features, and they put together a few of these first impression, out of the box-style reviews to run online. Clearly not a comprehensive "review", but just a quick hit to introduce something. Perhaps review was the wrong word, but I get the jist and also thought it was a cool idea when introduced.

Thanks for the kind words otherwise. Just about everything I write is for Drum now. They've given me a lot of freedom to write the way I want to write (meandering and self-indulgent). If you read the reviews in the print magazine or on drummagazine.com, that's almost always my stuff.

foxy_shazamtastic

Reaction score
I probably took about a dozen photos of the issue and the pedal settings when I experienced it, but I can't find any pictures I took of the pedal during that review right now. Just searched through all of my files again. I must have accidentally scrubbed them or something because we didn't use any of my photos in the piece either.

This was months ago during a really busy review period, and I can only imagine I accidentally wiped a memory card before pulling the FP9 photos or something during the blitz. I normally over-document everything on these reviews and keep detailed photos of any issues so they can run in the online pieces or so I can provide them to the manufacturer if they have questions.

TRULY frustrating that I can't find the photos for this instance, and it's making me think I'm going insane since I've not spoken with literally anyone else that has experienced the same thing I did.

I know Jim from Yamaha posts here. This might be a tricky question to ask publicly, but if he's available to chime in here with some idea of whether or not any version of this pedal created the issue I experienced, that might help.

I really loved those pedals and would hate for an isolated incident to dissuade people from purchasing one, but it would have been dishonest for me to leave it out of the article.

I have to stand by my editor here. We were experimenting with some different formats and ideas for gear features, and they put together a few of these first impression, out of the box-style reviews to run online. Clearly not a comprehensive "review", but just a quick hit to introduce something. Perhaps review was the wrong word, but I get the jist and also thought it was a cool idea when introduced.

Thanks for the kind words otherwise. Just about everything I write is for Drum now. They've given me a lot of freedom to write the way I want to write (meandering and self-indulgent). If you read the reviews in the print magazine or on drummagazine.com, that's almost always my stuff.
I don’t think the concept of the video is the issue, I think the fact that the player is god-awful is the issue.

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
For a dozen years I wrote product reviews on my own site, and one of the axes I used to grind all the time was how pubs (print/web) that take ad money or promo benefits of any kind have increasingly just presented demos or rewritten ad copy as if they were actual reviews.

It’s a sign of pubs and individuals that only care about keeping themselves afloat, with zero regard for the trusting reliance that consumers place on using reviews to guide their purchases.

m_anderson

Reaction score
I've come really close to pulling the trigger on the chain drive model, but the footboard just looks too big for me. Even Sweetwater's description is "Chain-drive Single Bass Drum Pedal with Longboard". Otherwise, it looks like the perfect pedal to me. Sorry there is no place close enough for me to try it. And I can't buy something like this with the attitude that I will just return it if I don't like it. It could take anywhere from ten minutes to ten weeks for me to decide.