Yamaha guys; opinion on "crossover" 14" tom

Thumper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Over the last couple of years, I have assembled a pretty solid Rock Tour Custom set-up but have a "hole" I would like to fill. I have not been able to find a 14" x 12" tom so have been considering an older Stage Custom (similar high tension lugs) as an affordable substitute. From what I know, they are similar construction without the resin outer laminate. I considered a Recording Custom, but one of those would likely cost half again as much or more than the whole kit (I've done a fair amount of horse-trading to bring the total out-of-pocket cost down a bunch), though I do have SD-098 snare.

My thought is that a Stage Custom in a 14" would not have a dramatically different tone and, as a stand-in floor tom, noticably reduced projection. I have a 16" floor tom but am trying to accomplish a smaller foot print alternative for those tighter venues.

Grasshopper here seeking wisdom...

ConvertedLudwigPlayer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Over the last couple of years, I have assembled a pretty solid Rock Tour Custom set-up but have a "hole" I would like to fill. I have not been able to find a 14" x 12" tom so have been considering an older Stage Custom (similar high tension lugs) as an affordable substitute. From what I know, they are similar construction without the resin outer laminate. I considered a Recording Custom, but one of those would likely cost half again as much or more than the whole kit (I've done a fair amount of horse-trading to bring the total out-of-pocket cost down a bunch), though I do have SD-098 snare.

My thought is that a Stage Custom in a 14" would not have a dramatically different tone and, as a stand-in floor tom, noticably reduced projection. I have a 16" floor tom but am trying to accomplish a smaller foot print alternative for those tighter venues.

Grasshopper here seeking wisdom...
Thumper,

I certainly would consider what you're doing for my Rock Tour Custom kit.

My RTC kit is 10x10, 12x10, 14x14, 16x16. I found a refinished 8x8 Recording Custom tom that I painted black to sort of match my kit. It certainly blends pretty well, but being an 8" the tone is going to be different than a 14". I am keeping my eye open for an authentic 8" RTC drum, but in the meantime, I can play the current 8".

Do you have pictures of your kit that you can post?

A J

DFO Master
Reaction score
If you want an affordable tom, skip the recording custom and get a used Yamaha stage custom tom. Put a Remo pinstripe on the batter and perhaps a clear ambassador on the resonant and nobody will be able to tell the difference. I've owned stage customs and recording customs and to my ears they really sound the same.

retired

Reaction score
If you can get a similar color don't hesitate to add the Stage Custom. I've done something similar, in that i added a SC 16X16 floor and SC 20" Bass to a Birch Custom set (as I could not afford the BCA equivalents) and they truly blend in just fine. I would, however, recommend getting some Pearl feet for the floor tom legs (some of the older SC's do not have YESS mounts on the floors), and you'll be good to go.

RonR

Thumper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input, gentlemen - very helpful.

Converted... I'll get some pix together one day soon, will have some time this coming month as work will be "light duty" for a few weeks.

cdlaine

DFO Star
Reaction score
Convert...

I'll throw in...

Rock Tour Custom ...Stage White...phenolic resin finish...

12x10 "power" 8 ply
13x11 "power" 8 ply
16x16 "power" 11 ply
22x18 "turbo" 11 ply
6.5 x 14 8 ply matching deep dish snare....

amazing drums...pro grade in every aspect.

Peace, Chas

View attachment 99758

Latest posts