Yamaha HS740 HiHat adjust (older model)

FloridaWen

Reaction score
I have an older Yamaha HS740 HiHat stand I tried to adjust. I believe a piece is missing as I tried to "turn and adjust" but it seems frozen.
Thank you.

Wen
(Lakeland, FL)

HS740.JPG

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Does the adjustment collar (spring tension knob) not move at all? That stand is adjusted by rotating the collar counter-clockwise (to the right) about 1/2", then pulling the collar up (or down) to engage the next cutout on the inner collar. The outer collar is then turned clockwise (left) to seat the cog into the chosen cutout. In other words, it should rotate only about 1/2".

GeeDeeEmm

FloridaWen

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply GeeDeeEmm,
The very first thing I did was find the HS740 manual online but like I said I have an "older model", constructed much better IMHO, which I think is so much stronger (aluminum) than the all plastic assembly Yamaha switched to later (HS740A?). I just did not put enough force in turning the adjust knob (counter-clockwise) in fear of breaking it, but this time I used a bit more force and "broke it free" from being always set in one position, the same position.
I love this HH stand, I acquired it from a friend when I bought his Sonor Bop kit (16" kick w/4" riser) two years ago and it always felt good so I never attempted to experiment with the eleven adjust positions until last week. I think this model is more popular than the dual braced HS850.
Happy drumming my friend and Thanks again :)

Wen
(Lakeland, Florida)

HS740 2.jpg
HS740 3.jpg
HS740 1.jpg

Targalx

Reaction score
I’ve had at least three 740s, older and newer models. The best hihat stand value out there. There are certainly more stout stands, like the Iron Cobra (I had one, what a beast!), but in terms of a balance of price, weight, durability and functionality, I’m hard pressed to find a better hihat stand than the 740. As a resident Yamaha fan here, I say good choice!

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
I have the newer version with the plastic, but it's held up really well the last few years. So far, it's my favorite hi hat stand I've used. I've even started bringing it with me to gigs that already have a backline, because I love the feel. I bring my own bass drum pedal, why not hi hat? I love how lightweight it is while still being really stable, plus the shorter rod is great, so it's not in the way of my left hand hitting the left crash.

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've used the 740s in the past, too, and they are great-feeling pedals, for sure. In fact, the entire 700 series of stands are my favorites. I've gigged them a lot without a single failure. That's why I've owned a (ever-growing) set for over 25 years.

GeeDeeEmm

Targalx

Reaction score
I've used the 740s in the past, too, and they are great-feeling pedals, for sure. In fact, the entire 700 series of stands are my favorites. I've gigged them a lot without a single failure. That's why I've owned a (ever-growing) set for over 25 years.
Same here. I have 700-series hardware dating back to the early 2000s that has been gigged HEAVILY and not treated nicely at all. No issues with anything. I made a smart decision for once in my life.

Latest posts