Yamaha Hybrid Absolute Maple Kit

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
I’ve been hearing about these drums and it so happens my local drum shop’s owner recently bought a kit (I’m sure he got a great deal since he’s a dealer). Man, what a beautiful kit. He could have any kit and it’s the one he chose. Also, Mr. Weckl recently did a clinic and used his kit.

I know some of you have one so I’d love to hear some insight. I already have two Yamaha kits (an RC and a Club Custom) and they are both different animals.

Thoughts and/or opins are appreciated! Also, my favorite finish is the polar white.
F3641B82-0ED6-4E20-99C5-4E36304E1491.jpeg
AC0733A6-95CC-47CF-B740-C107B1249776.jpeg
53772845-CAA0-4938-AB34-F1C402834034.jpeg

Neal Pert

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've written about mine pretty extensively. I'm now in my seventh month with these as my only pro-level drum kit, and the shell bank I was planning is now complete with 10/12/13/14ft/16ft/1bbd/22bd/6 snare. No thoughts at all about moving on, no temptations for anything else. Totally happy. 10/10 would recommend.

drawtheline55

Owner/admin
Administrator
Reaction score
I have played them but not owned them, they are quite nice and have the Yamaha feel.
I have owned or own almost every Yamaha kit since the 90s except these and the PHX.

Dan I think they are calling your name.

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I already have two Yamaha kits (an RC and a Club Custom) and they are both different animals.
Yep, I have both the RC and CC—quite different, aren't they? I was expecting the CC to have a bit of the RC's subdued, controlled voice, and to an extent, it sort of does. But, the CC is so unique in the way it plays, the way it takes to various tunings, the way it reacts to head combos. The RC always sounds like the RC, regardless of tuning or head combos, but the CC reacts differently to how you set it up.

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have played them but not owned them, they are quite nice and have the Yamaha feel.
I have owned or own almost every Yamaha kit since the 90s except these and the PHX.
Yeah. Same here. And yes, I, too, am real curious about the AHMs. I am so on the fence about just getting one big, new shell bank and calling it a day. It would clear up a LOT space in my house and it would be neat to just mix and match what I need for the gig/session. For instance, I already have three kits that are 12/14/22. Seems like quite the redundancy.

But then again, there's just something about having the various models that I really enjoy, too. I sort of like bringing 3-4 kits to the recording session and then trying out what works and what doesn't. Even if I were to shell bank my kit, I'd probably keep another "beater" kit on hand for the rougher gigs (especially those in inclement weather) or for quick practices.

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
To be honest Senior - I don’t think these are any better than what you have now .
I have gone on record with my admiration for the Club Customs , absolutely fantastic drums and very versatile .
The new RC kit are just great drums , so consistent and have that wonderful birch sound .

I think you may like the Maple Hybrids but might get bored of them as personally I just find them average sounding . Nice drums , just not outstanding or special at least to me. This is no slight to people that own one of these kits , it is just my opinion .

Tomb

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
whats the difference between the hybrid absolute and the maple custom absolute?

Topsy Turvy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
To be honest Senior - I don’t think these are any better than what you have now .
I have gone on record with my admiration for the Club Customs , absolutely fantastic drums and very versatile .
The new RC kit are just great drums , so consistent and have that wonderful birch sound .

I think you may like the Maple Hybrids but might get bored of them as personally I just find them average sounding . Nice drums , just not outstanding or special at least to me. This is no slight to people that own one of these kits , it is just my opinion .
Average sounding is how I would describe the AHMs I have played. Great quality drums to be sure, but nothing that stands out in any way.

Neal Pert

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

I have also owned the Club Customs. Gigged them, too. I'd pick the AHMs 100 times out of 100 if I had to pick one kit, though I'd love to add a 12/14/20 Club Custom for gigs under mics and for recording. Have you done anything other than tapped the AHMs in the shop, Rick? I've played and recorded both pretty extensively and think Yamaha's got something very special and very underrated on their hands with the AHMs.

Last edited:

tomo221

Reaction score
I found the Club Customs to be kinda dark and therefore just a little weak for live use (I used them in a wedding band), but of course their tone was fantastic. I switched to an AHM for a while and liked it a lot. Full and round but with a little bit of that kind of Ludwig grit to them (perhaps from the wenge ply). I love the new RCs as well, but their sound is super clean and pure - classic Yamaha.

So ultimately I’d say the AHM is a nice in-between amongst the CCs and RCs. And the Polar White is drop dead gorgeous, so that helps.

joihjoll

Reaction score
The AHM have some pure magic to them. In my opinion the best sounding kit I have played. The other Yamaha kits you mention are really great but the AHM have something extra.

Reactions: Row

Row

Reaction score
I own the AHM in polar white. It's my only kit now, sizes are 22x14 18x14 10x7 12x8 14x13 and 14x6 snare. The 18 inch bass drum sounds big enough that I rarely use the 22. They sound and feel great and I enjoy the hook lugs and also they are very easy to tune. I think the Wenge gives the drums a little more bottom end. There are many air vent holes in the bass drums and floor toms but I'm not sure if this helps the sound or not.

Bri6366

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Love the kit and the Polar White finish (that double bass kit on the Yamaha site looks amazing). If I were in the market for a "modern" kit, the AHM would be a serious contender. I haven't played them personally, but I do get how some consider them average sounding. Top end maple kits have been around for some time now and it's tough to reinvent the wheel. I'm a maple guy, so I think I'd prefer this kit over the RC's.

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have also owned the Club Customs. Gigged them, too. I'd pick the AHMs 100 times out of 100 if I had to pick one kit, though I'd love to add a 12/14/20 Club Custom for gigs under mics and for recording. Have you done anything other than tapped the AHMs in the shop, Rick? I've played and recorded both pretty extensively and think Yamaha's got something very special and very underrated on their hands with the AHMs.
I have had backline AHM kits for some festivals and they are fine drums but they did not knock me out . I had a PHX Kit at that time so I was spoiled then. I admit my experience with them is not as extensive as yours , but as I said they weren’t something I would want over an RC or Club Custom Kit . We all have different tastes and likes . The fact you love your AHM Kit is cool and I am glad you found the kit that sings for you .

Last edited:

Drumprof

Reaction score
I own a kit and they are a fantastic, modern sounding kit. Not average to me because I think there best attribute is they are quite a different and unique eq for a maple kit.
Big, round, resonant and warm like you would expect from maple but with an aggressive attack like birch that hits hard and gets out of the way quickly, and a bit more bottom like you might get from a mahogany or walnut or something. They are just a different animal for maple.
I have owned and played Maple Customs, Ludwig Classics etc. and these have those same great qualities we expect from good maple drums but the AH are just more of a modern take.
I think Yamaha nailed it in developing a unique and different quality in evolving the maple sound.
I agree they seem to have been a little under the radar or under recognized, but appear to be picking up more attention lately as Yamaha’s post Sakae line up seems to develop more, and sit in a nice position as their top line maple kit.

Topsy Turvy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have not owned a set of AHMs, but I have used them several times in backline situations. I found them to be very neutral sounding. They didn't have a unique or distinctive sound. On the bright side, they were what I would describe as a bit of a chameleon, where they could be used in a lot of different situations. On the downside, I didn't find them to have much personality at all. I could have been playing a Mapex or a Pearl or whatever. That's what I mean when I say, "average" sounding.

To be fair, every AHM drum I played was easy to tune and always had a functional sound, even with terrible heads on them.

I don't dislike these drums, rather I just found them to be ...meh. They are not drums I would want to own, but there is nothing wrong with them.

Tigerdrummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I’ve been hearing about these drums and it so happens my local drum shop’s owner recently bought a kit (I’m sure he got a great deal since he’s a dealer). Man, what a beautiful kit. He could have any kit and it’s the one he chose. Also, Mr. Weckl recently did a clinic and used his kit.

I know some of you have one so I’d love to hear some insight. I already have two Yamaha kits (an RC and a Club Custom) and they are both different animals.

Thoughts and/or opins are appreciated! Also, my favorite finish is the polar white.
View attachment 447257 View attachment 447258 View attachment 447259
Beautiful but why not WMP? Their plain white is pretty but WMP would be so much better

Latest posts