YAMAHA Manu Katche Jr. kit MIJ

va87

Reaction score
I have an opportunity to purchase one of these kits in great condition. BD, 2 toms, snare, BD riser, tom mount, FT legs. $500.
It is the MIJ version, wrapped in the brushed aluminum looking wrap.
A few questions:
Weren't these made in Sakae factory in Osaka?
Any idea of the vintage of these drums?

Any thoughts/opinions/comments would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, and Merry Christmas!
Joe

blikum

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have one and love it! I do use Tight screw lugs on the toms and bass drum so I can tune lower without the key rods loosening. Not exactly sure on the year, I bought mine in mid 2000's.

dogmanaut

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Seems a bit pricey to me, but then again, these MIJ ones also don’t pop up that frequently, from what I’ve seen.

I’ve got a Sakae PAC-D — basically the same thing, but cherry/mahogany shells. I love it. Very fun lots to play on. If the seller would negotiate on the asking price, I would try that.

mark2456

Reaction score
I have one and can say nothing but good things about it. The floor tom is the best of the bunch. Tunebot settings (138 Hz.batter lugs 185 Hz.reso lugs = 2nd octave A. Gives you a nice rumble. (164 Hz. Batter lugs 220 Hz. Reso lugs renders a bop sound. The Bass drum is the most finicky. I use an Aquarian SK1 batter tunebot settings 110 Hz. Smooth white reso set at 116 Hz. No port. The Sakae made shells are flawless as well as the bearing edges.

jaymandude

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I had the purple one. I think that was a Japanese model but I don’t remember. Sold it eventually but it was fine for a while. The bd riser ended up being more of a pain than just using an 18. And the rack and snare were pretty useless to me. So yeah, I sold it :)

People love these kits tho, so what do I know ?

AustinFitz

Reaction score
Don't know much about them, but I've been seeing this one listed on Facebook Marketplace for $550 lately.

Screenshot_2019-12-03-13-07-11(1).png
Screenshot_2019-12-03-13-07-16(1).png

Last edited:

dsop

Reaction score
If they had a shallower bass drum, with regular bass drum hoops, I'd be all over it. I found the bass drum difficult to control (too much bounce).

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I used to have one in electric blue wrap - which was fugly! I stripped it and "rewrapped" in black galaxy glitter vinyl wrap (it was a phase back then for me!).
Yes, MIJ. Yes, by Sakae. Yes - great quality and great sound - 10 rack, 13FT, 16x16 bass, and 5x12 snare. I wanted a more traditional jazz setup (12/14/18) although it was a great little kit. I scored it for $100 in a dirty garage in Stockton on a business road trip, cleaned it up and sold it for a bit more. The bonus was I kept the 2 cymbal stands, a HH stand, a bass pedal and a broken, throne, too!

Ironically, one of my fave little kits now is my Gretsch SSB tangerine which is 12, 13FT & 16 bass!

Latest posts