yamaha maple custom versus absolute

Cauldronics

DFO Master
Reaction score
I’ve no comments about the MCA, though I’m sure they’re very nice drums.

When I was trying out different kits on the floor of GC back in the nineties, there was a dw collectors and some Tama on the floor. Over the course of a few weeks demoing the kits, the MC kept drawing me back. It was the only one with a raw, open tone and character. It also had more definition and clearer attack than the others.

Finally, I put down a deposit on the natural, high gloss MC and after some time paying it off, it was mine.

That kit won’t be leaving me if I can make her stay. The quality level is off the charts to the point where I enjoy changing heads just to looks at the shells inside and out, admiring the edges and the total care that those who created it had for their craft. And the sound matches that quality.

Bri6366

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I’ve no comments about the MCA, though I’m sure they’re very nice drums.

When I was trying out different kits on the floor of GC back in the nineties, there was a dw collectors and some Tama on the floor. Over the course of a few weeks demoing the kits, the MC kept drawing me back. It was the only one with a raw, open tone and character. It also had more definition and clearer attack than the others.

Finally, I put down a deposit on the natural, high gloss MC and after some time paying it off, it was mine.

That kit won’t be leaving me if I can make her stay. The quality level is off the charts to the point where I enjoy changing heads just to looks at the shells inside and out, admiring the edges and the total care that those who created it had for their craft. And the sound matches that quality.
Back in the 90s the local Sam Ash had a MC kick and rack tom in natural maple going for a great price. It was there for quite some time and I was considering buying it and ordering a floor tom and maybe an additional rack tom. I walked in one day and a kid was buying it. I missed out on quite a few kits like that.

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The MCA's are great kits
The MC's are greater.
If you are considering buying a MC I suggest you do it.
The market has been down on them for a few years. Before that they were very expensive.
A+ drums
I own both MC and MCA kits. I do not agree with you that one is greater than the other.

I think the MC and MCA kits are brothers — rather different, yet still related. I think it's all about what the drummer is aiming for. The MC tone is a deeper, rounder, bolder tone. It handles low tunings really nicely. The MCA tone is a sharper, harder, resonant tone. It handles higher tunings a bit better than the MC.

I love both of my kits equally. It's all about using the right kit to the right gig.

Matched Gripper

Reaction score
One more thing: I haven’t A/B tested the MCA vs MC, but I’d assume they are identical in sound. For example, I’ve A/B tested the old Beech Customs with my MCs and posted video results on DFO. Beech has slightly less sustain, but that’s it.
I doubt the MC's and MCA's sound the same. If I recall correctly, the MC's are a thicker, heavier shell.

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I doubt the MC's and MCA's sound the same. If I recall correctly, the MC's are a thicker, heavier shell.
Your doubt is correct. They don't the same — I have both set up right next to each other, running the exact same heads (Clear Emperor top, clear Ambassador bottom) and similar sized shells (22/13/14 and 22/12/14). They're definitely different!

tkillian

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
One more thing: I haven’t A/B tested the MCA vs MC, but I’d assume they are identical in sound. For example, I’ve A/B tested the old Beech Customs with my MCs and posted video results on DFO. Beech has slightly less sustain, but that’s it.
Looks like Vin owns a set.

VinSparkle

Reaction score
Same sizes, same heads and tuned with a Tune-bot. You’d be shocked how similar they sound. I got a Beech floor tom to sound just like my maple custom. As I said, slight variation in sustain...with maple producing more than the Beech.

Cauldronics

DFO Master
Reaction score
Back in the 90s the local Sam Ash had a MC kick and rack tom in natural maple going for a great price. It was there for quite some time and I was considering buying it and ordering a floor tom and maybe an additional rack tom. I walked in one day and a kid was buying it. I missed out on quite a few kits like that.
Hate it when that happens. I've had a few drum items get away from me in that way.

Latest posts