Yamaha Maple Custom worth this much?

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is a beautiful kit BUT I wouldn't pay that. Half that, maybe. And I'm not lovin' the deeper toms. If they were standard sized toms, then I'd consider it at $2200. Maybe.

Rhyma Hop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That is a beautiful kit BUT I wouldn't pay that. Half that, maybe. And I'm not lovin' the deeper toms. If they were standard sized toms, then I'd consider it at $2200. Maybe.
Exactly... I would even say under 2k is what they are worth.

paul

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
In 1998 I bought a used set of Custom Yamahas in the Akira Jimbo lacquer finish. It came with 8/10/12/13/14/15/16 toms and matching snare, and cost me $2500 from a private seller. I sold them a few years later for much less, still in excellent condition.

So I agree, the price is too high. But as with any used drum purchase, what's it worth to you?

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was hoping it might be worth that much. That would be enough to let mine go.

Deafmoon

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Everything is nuts these days. I would say 2400 to 3000 Max! But hey I’ve seen the Vinnie Yamaha Sig Green Lacquer Maple Custom snare sell for $1500, so what do I know?

drummingbulldog

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
You'd think that guy in Seattle is in on the sale because they were owned by a famous person. I owned a brand new set in 97 and the didn't cost that new. Honestly, I sold mine 5 years ago and I never thought they were that great. In 2008 I got a really great deal on a used Recording Custom kit and I still have it. The kick drum on my MC kit was garbage so I think it wasn't in round because no matter what heads I tried, it sounded boxey.

Targalx

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The kick drum on my MC kit was garbage so I think it wasn't in round because no matter what heads I tried, it sounded boxey.
Yeah. I wouldn't call it "garbage," but I've owned two different MC kick drums, both 22x16" and I could never get a great punchy sound from them for playing loud rock. Engineers at studios tried this and that with them, but we'd never land at anything awesome. Just more like "acceptable" and "we'll fix it in the mix."

So, I'd invariably bring another kick drum with me to the session, usually the RC or Beech Custom, to use with the MC toms. The RC kick is excellent, as is the BC kick. Even the MCA is a better choice.

Murat

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Last couple of Maple Customs I had in the shop up here , 5 and 6 pieces, sold for $2000CAN. All the power to that seller if he can get close to what he is asking.

drumsforme

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Had a 1997 in the same exact configuration. Sold my kit in 2019 for $2200.....I was asking for $2499. I settled because it was not moving. The person that purchased it drove 4.5 hours roundtrip to pick it up. Toms sounded great, but never could get the kick drum to sound good no matter how many head combinations I tried......And that kick drum weighed a ton!

yamaha.jpg

Reaction score
It's worth what you can get for it. I wouldn't buy anything - regardless of make/model - used near that price without touching and playing it. You should be able to do better.

ian.thomas

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
As others have said, this set is too much $$. I have a set in black translucent stain, that includes the 8", and I paid a lot less.

They are great sounding drums ... and they sound great live / project. But as @drumsforme noted, the kick weighs a ton.

Targalx

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
As others have said, this set is too much $$. I have a set in black translucent stain, that includes the 8", and I paid a lot less.

They are great sounding drums ... and they sound great live / project. But as @drumsforme noted, the kick weighs a ton.
True, that kick is heavy! I've had two Maple Custom kits (still have one), and I still prefer my Maple Custom Absolute. The MCA is supposedly a "lower" model in terms of price, but I dunno, I just think the MCA is the better kit in terms of tone and versatility.

I find myself using the MC less and less over the years. The MC was an amazing kit for its time, and it is a lot better than many kits at its price point, but I like some of Yamaha's other lines more (like the MCA or the Beech Custom). I haven't played the MC since 2018, so maybe I'll pull it out later this year and see if it's something I'm missing.

ian.thomas

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I haven't played the MC since 2018, so maybe I'll pull it out later this year and see if it's something I'm missing.
2018 for me too. Maybe I'll set them up this weekend.

The MCs are my live kit, but since that's not happening I'm considering selling, but they're probably worth more to me than what I would get. My set is in "been gigged and it shows" condition so no collector would want it and there are easier, more modern sized kits available for anyone else looking, eg the MCA/BCAs. I don't mind the deeper toms, but not a fan of hanging floor toms, especially the 16".

Last edited:

Santino

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I absolutely love my YMC toms and I swore I'd never sell the kit. Asking price is one thing, pricing to sell is another. Those black YMC's have been on reverb for at least two years with no takers.
Salt Lake City has a kit on reverb they had listed for $6k and just dropped it to $5k. If they get $5k for that kit, my "never sell" kit is going on the market.