Yamaha metal snares how do you rate them?

Tigerdrummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm kind of and economical snare guy. I have a birch and an oak custom. I also have a brass piccolo snare like Levon played in the 90's. What about their other metal snares? How do you feel about them? I'm just curious if I should try something different like a thicker brass snare or another metal. I'm just a home player guy so there are no recording or band issues. Thanks for your comments or observations.

Nacci

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My take, Ive owned a few and they can sound good but there are a lot sexier metal snares out there than Yamaha. Did they not name one of their steel snares “Steel Snare”?

Come on, please, put some effort into it.

shuffle

DFO Master
Reaction score
I owned a 5.5 x14 copper with the 2 piece lugs!
It was a fine instrument.

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've owned about a dozen yamaha snares - mostly from the 70's to early 90's. I liked most of them. The steel snares back then in 10 lug configuration (700 and 000 series) are pretty good.....as are the SD295/296 RC models. Those all typically have extended snare wires. Out of their metal snares I'd say I liked the SD065 super sensitive and the SD765MA the best. I was tempted to try the current lines of Recording Customs in either brass or aluminum.....decided to go with the 1980's SD498 brass 14x8. Didn't really like that one. Should have tried the Aluminum.

In bang for the buck I recommend all the 1977-1984 SD700 series snares - 750/755/765 metal or wood. You can often find them cheap from $50 to $150. And they are generally great drums....pro quality. Those snares were often married to the Yamaha 9000 series kits - as other than the super sensitive 000's (1977-1981), the 700's were the only other pro drum they offered early on. My 765MA is what would have come with my 1982 Tour Series kit pictured below.

Attachments

Last edited:
Reaction score
I don't know much about their current snares, but I have an 80's 6.5 Brass, an 80's 5.5 Steel, and a 90's 5.5 Copper Concert model. I love them. Ignore their lack of "sexy-ness" (whatever that means) and know that they are high quality musical instruments. Their shells seem to be a little thicker than other brands, their strainers are high quality, and their quality control (from my experience) is second to none. Oh, and they sound GREAT!

Just make sure you don't wind up with any of the drums with those AWFUL and poorly designed single point lugs with the mounting screw (and the support pin) on the wrong side of the lug. There were two designs that could be found on either the original Erskine sig 4x14 snare and the original Weckl sig snare. High tension caused the lugs to slightly pull out. There is plenty of info about them, just do a search. I'll give them a mulligan on those old lugs though, they made it right with the people that had them, and redesigned them.

I am also not a fan of those newer single point "hooking" lugs that were made (I think) in the 2000's. I don't like them for similar reasons as the aforementioned poorly designed lugs. (Full disclosure, I had NO problems with those hooking lugs, nor did I see first hand any issues. I just didn't personally like the design, so I avoid them.)

Other than those two "issues," I LOVE their metal (and wood) snares.

Hope that helps!
MSG

Kevaruka

Reaction score
I have two current Yamaha Metal Snare's. A 13x6.5 Brass Recording Custom & a 14x6.5 Steel Stage Custom. The Stage Custom Steel is an amazing snare for the money. Has 10 lugs & a seamless shell. The Brass 13" I have not used much at the moment so am still learning it's capabilities but, what I hear so far, I am liking :)

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have a seamless copper 6.5x14 - just an amazing drum - but I don't play it and its in my stack of "should I sell these"........I have copper snares by Pearl 4x14, Gretsch 5.5x14 & this one, and it's my fave of the three.

SpinaDude

Reaction score
I'm dying to hear the new Live Hybrid Custom Oak snare in person. I have the Black Panther Sledgehammer, a brass snare, and now the Tama Supraphonic Copper. I want a wooden snare to compliment them, but so far most of what I've heard hasn't wowed me. The new Tama S.L.P. hickory was nice, but I didn't bowl me over. I want something very fresh and new sounding. I haven't heard one in person yet because my local shop doesn't carry much Yamaha.

Ptrick

Reaction score
My 90’s 6.5x14 Copper is one of my most used drums over the last 25 years. Super fat and crisp.

Others that are great, but I’ve sold:

5.5 and 6.5x14 Manu Katche snares (black beauty on steroids)
6.5x14 seamless brass (a little brighter than the Manu)

I really want to pick up a new aluminum recording custom.

BennyK

DFO Master
Reaction score
if you could adapt to to the narrow deep beds on the Gadd steel, it was very good .

My favourite is the seamless steel from the very early 70's . Crisp and responsive .

I owned a 4x14 brass but found it had a stiff feel to it .

The Dave Weckl twin strainer aluminum was just about the finest snare I've ever had , unfortunately it got stolen .

dsop

Reaction score
The new Recording Custom series of metal snares are nice. I have the aluminum 6.5" and it's great.
I have that drum too. It's great. I compared all the new metal models side-by-each and choose this one. They're all very nice though. I have a total of three Yamaha snare drums, and they're all top quality.

dirtysicks

Reaction score
I really love old model Yamaha Seamless Steel snares. They sound really amazing to my ears! Very versatile, sensitive and full of tone... plus that have pop/crack for days. As another plus, these can be bought for very little coin. They’re real sleepers.
49DE9E46-2EA0-4C2A-9EDE-A60D29E180A8.jpeg
EA0F1C53-C5D5-4188-91E1-81507E789E0D.jpeg
1FE6BFDA-C967-45F1-AFA5-BB38D5D76EBE.jpeg

Latest posts