Yamaha Oak Customs, tell me about them

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
There's a set I have my eye on. I've listened to some Youtube videos, and seen a few comments here, just looking for more input. What do you like about them, what do you not like? What kinds of band mix or style do they fit or not fit? What would you change about them?

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
They're a bit heavy and sharp-sounding, but sound awesome.

Dan

Doof

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
To my ears, harsh and loud. However I’ve only played them twice as backline. Not sure I even trust my ears anymore after years of sonic abuse.

DudemanSeattle

Reaction score
Hey Bongomania! There are a few strings on this topic previously which helped me drive to buy a barely used MIJ Oak Custom off CL a few months ago.

They are excellent and my take is way more versatile across a variety of musical genres yet some don’t give proper credit.

I personally like the sound quality of these vintage Yamaha Oaks over the live customs -but -all personal preference.

Here is a photo of the kit with a Honey Amber finish.
147330D1-4F28-42FF-927A-E2D9C5821317.jpeg

BennyK

DFO Master
Reaction score
To this day I regret not holding on to my Oak Customs . There've been many others I let go of along the way, but those Yamahas were something worth keeping .

The snare drum was not my cuppa tea , but the bass and toms were like thunder ... close or distant ,depending on your touch .

drawtheline55

Owner/admin
Administrator
Reaction score
I have a set of Live Customs....like them a lot, open, punchy, good tone, easy to tune too

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
My buddy has a set (10/12/14/18) and matching snare in sunburst - gorgeous color, great quality/finish and a nice boomy sound. He runs Aquarian modern vintage on them (I'd have coated Ambs) and they have a loud yet focused tone. The bass drum is a cannon. He just played a blues jam with 2-3 loud guitars (he was unmiked) and the 18" bass totally cut thru. I am not really a fan of oak drums but this kit is nice. I don't think it's as warm as maple but would work for rock and pop for sure.

Last edited:

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
They are the closest thing to a Tempus kit I've heard in a wood drum. Tons of headroom, if needed.

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
I'm wondering if having the bearing edges of the toms redone to a "vintage roundover" would warm them up.

jaymandude

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have a set of Live Customs....like them a lot, open, punchy, good tone, easy to tune too
So do I... But the older Oak Customs are not as warm sounding as the recently revamped Live Customs. I was talking to Jim Haler about back then this cause it's weird. Yamah added one or 2 plies to the older oak customs and the Live Custom drums got warmer somehow. It's kind of oxymoronic..

Latest posts