Yamaha Oak Customs?

defariatm

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi Yamaha players,
I am looking at a used set of Yamaha Oak Customs, Gold Badge kit, made in Osaka, Japan. I am wondering how these would compare to Maple or Birch kits, sonically as well as weight.
Any insights would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance!
tom

Targalx

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Hi Yamaha players,
I am looking at a used set of Yamaha Oak Customs, Gold Badge kit, made in Osaka, Japan. I am wondering how these would compare to Maple or Birch kits, sonically as well as weight.
Any insights would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance!
tom
I have that gold badge Oak Custom kit as well. It's a "brighter" kit than both my Maple Custom and Recording Custom (birch) kits, in my experience; louder, less subtle, with more attack. Great for outdoor playing or in situations where you really need to be heard. Excellent rock kit, though didn't do as well for me in the studio.

Weight-wise, they aren't noticeably heavy. My Maple Custom is heavier, for sure.

We had a recent discussion about the Oak Customs here that might be of interest to you: https://www.drumforum.org/threads/yamaha-oak-custom-how-nice-are-these.199501/#post-2343833

defariatm

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have that gold badge Oak Custom kit as well. It's a "brighter" kit than both my Maple Custom and Recording Custom (birch) kits, in my experience; louder, less subtle, with more attack. Great for outdoor playing or in situations where you really need to be heard. Excellent rock kit, though didn't do as well for me in the studio.

Weight-wise, they aren't noticeably heavy. My Maple Custom is heavier, for sure.

We had a recent discussion about the Oak Customs here that might be of interest to you: https://www.drumforum.org/threads/yamaha-oak-custom-how-nice-are-these.199501/#post-2343833
this link, and your comment about weight is exactly what I was looking for. thank you very much!

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
I haven't bought an Oak Custom set, but I have played them and my opinion is the same as what's described here. I like the sound of Oak in some ways, but the perceived additional volume doesn't suit my playing context.

Marc M

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I got to use an OC for a few months, when I got them the batter heads were tuned higher than the resos,sounded thin no depth,I evened up the resos and dropped the batters a quarter turn and they opened right up and sang.Very responsive at all volumes.They were capable of lots of volume and projection.Imo they sounded darker than MC`s,closer to RC`s they were more focused.If I were in the market for a gigging kit they would be at the top of the list.

NobleCooleyNut

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought a Yamaha Oak series Bop kit from a local Yamaha Endorser - a beautiful looking kit . Took it to the first gig and before the first song was done I knew I was selling it . I did not like the sound or feel of these kits . The 18” bass drum was particularly awful sounding . All attack and no balls . I have not been a fan of many 18” bass drums to be honest ( Gretsch USA Custom and N&C Walnut being the exceptions ). The rack toms sounded sharp and harsh and very attack oriented . Just a big no for me .

I have played Oak Customs in larger sizes and preferred them to the Bop kit I had .