Yamaha PHX owners: Tell me about your drums?

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
Murat said:
Murat,
That is a perfect kit. The right drummer needs to walk in to your shop and simply come to this realization also!
I have zero worries about this kit Treviso1. I know someone is going to see it and fall in love she'll go to a great home. And then of course the owner will want the 14" Floor (or 18") , the 10" rack etc... :icon_smile:
That is exactly how it will go!

Eyedrum

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Alright, alrighty! Bringing back an old thread.

I would love to hear from any Yamaha Phoenix owner (past or present) out there in DFO land concerning these amazing drums. Specifically, how long have you owned one of these kits? Are they all you thought they would/should be? How do they compare to other Yamaha kits that you may have owned or other high end kits for that matter? Enquiring minds want to know.

Thank you.

NobleCooleyNut

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Alright, alrighty! Bringing back an old thread.

I would love to hear from any Yamaha Phoenix owner (past or present) out there in DFO land concerning these amazing drums. Specifically, how long have you owned one of these kits? Are they all you thought they would/should be? How do they compare to other Yamaha kits that you may have owned or other high end kits for that matter? Enquiring minds want to know.

Thank you.
They are big sounding drums , full of balls with a very long note . Beautiful bearing edges , your typical great Yamaha lacquer finish . I may be in the minority but ai really love their hook lugs . They are heavy drums . Very thick shells , so be forewarned. I made a half hearted attempt to reacquire my former PHX kit , but could not come to a deal that satisfied both parties . Personally I think these drums are better suited for louder styles of music .

Eyedrum

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
They are big sounding drums , full of balls with a very long note . Beautiful bearing edges , your typical great Yamaha lacquer finish . I may be in the minority but ai really love their hook lugs . They are heavy drums . Very thick shells , so be forewarned. I made a half hearted attempt to reacquire my former PHX kit , but could not come to a deal that satisfied both parties . Personally I think these drums are better suited for louder styles of music .
That is just what I was wanting to hear! I remember that gorgeous set you had - stunning. Thanks!

musiqman

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Im in the process of getting part of the PHX Ash Texured Mono Garnett back, I used for promo a few years ago.

1637701575341.png

1637702495045.png

1637702517607.png

I wouldn't qualify them only for louder music (you can find them in studio's and more jazz approached players too).

They do have a wide range of sounds you can get out of them (of course depending on the room, playing style, heads, and sticks of course).

Also these have the most wide range finish options in Yamaha's catalog:
1637701733574.jpeg

They are on the heavy side, but in comparison my current Sonor Signature and especially the previous DW Maple/Mahogany were heavier.

Do keep in mind they have a large backorder list for the non Maple models, due to the switch of a new Ash supplier and Covid.

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
I love everything about the PHX drums. They are gorgeous, elegant, and sound amazing. I, too, like the lugs!

jkuhl

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
PHX drums are probably the most explosive and responsive drums I've ever owned and played. So little is required in the way of dynamics to get the whole tonal quality from the drum. It's a phenomenon I've never experienced quite as much, as I have, with these shells. Often times, when your stroke is in the pp range, you get mostly head sound. These drums light up with the softest touch. At fff they sound rich and full and not as though they're on the verge of choking. The kicks are the star of the show and have to be experienced first hand. A 22x16, unported and without dampening, is a hard thing to forget. Amazing drums.

Eyedrum

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
PHX drums are probably the most explosive and responsive drums I've ever owned and played. So little is required in the way of dynamics to get the whole tonal quality from the drum. It's a phenomenon I've never experienced quite as much, as I have, with these shells. Often times, when your stroke is in the pp range, you get mostly head sound. These drums light up with the softest touch. At fff they sound rich and full and not as though they're on the verge of choking. The kicks are the star of the show and have to be experienced first hand. A 22x16, unported and without dampening, is a hard thing to forget. Amazing drums.
That’s a great description of the drums abilities and sound. Thank you!

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
Very well put. Can you just imagine what a 24" bass drum sounds like? It's got to be thunderous. Anyone out there have one?

BNK

Reaction score
I'm on my second PHX set and though it took me a long while to fall in love with the hook lugs, I've finally come to an understanding. A lot of people report they go out of tune quickly, which I find odd because I've had the exact opposite experience. My PHX stays in tune for a ridiculously long time, kind of "set it and forget it". I also love the bass drum claws, they have a rubber insert that keeps the tuning rods under tension at all times. This allows you to tune the bass drum very low without fear of the rods backing out due to vibration.

As mentioned before, the bearing edges are phenomenal and fit and finish across the board is perfection. The only gripe I have is the black plate the tom mounts are attached to, find them to be an eye sore, especially on my natural textured burl ash shells.

One thing worth noting is I find the drums play one size larger than their actual dimensions. For example, if you prefer a 24" bass drum, get the 22" as it will sound as big as you're looking for but in a smaller lighter package than an actual 24" PHX bass drum.

Reaction score
I also love the bass drum claws, they have a rubber insert that keeps the tuning rods under tension at all times. This allows you to tune the bass drum very low without fear of the rods backing out due to vibration.
I know the lug nuts (swivel nuts) in the PHX have a nylon insert that helps hold tuning, but I've never heard of a rubber insert in the bass drum claws.

I think the current Phoenix has the same bass claws as the Absolute Hybrid Maple, which I'm not at all familiar with. Is there any chance you could show photo of the insert?

BNK

Reaction score
I know the lug nuts (swivel nuts) in the PHX have a nylon insert that helps hold tuning, but I've never heard of a rubber insert in the bass drum claws.

I think the current Phoenix has the same bass claws as the Absolute Hybrid Maple, which I'm not at all familiar with. Is there any chance you could show photo of the insert?
Here is a pic of my PHX claw, rubber piece is seen in the middle opening. I have owned the Absolute Hybrid maple, it does not have these claws, trust me.

Even when the claw has been removed from the bass drum it still has firm tension on the tension rod.
PHX-Claw.jpg

Reaction score
Here is a pic of my PHX claw, rubber piece is seen in the middle opening. I have owned the Absolute Hybrid maple, it does not have these claws, trust me.

Even when the claw has been removed from the bass drum it still has firm tension on the tension rod. View attachment 530078
That claw is the old Japanese Sakae-era Absolute Birch/Maple type. It's actually hard plastic and is in the shape of a horseshoe. I bought a bunch of those claws and all the auxiliary parts that go with them, and wondered what that part did. It seemed redundant to me.

I thought you might have a newer/current PHX that has "upgraded" hardware: small footprint tom mount, hinged floor tom leg brackets, and different bass drum claws. I'm quite sure it's all shared with the Absolute Hybrid Maple.

BNK

Reaction score
That claw is the old Japanese Sakae-era Absolute Birch/Maple type. It's actually hard plastic and is in the shape of a horseshoe. I bought a bunch of those claws and all the auxiliary parts that go with them, and wondered what that part did. It seemed redundant to me.

I thought you might have a newer/current PHX that has "upgraded" hardware: small footprint tom mount, hinged floor tom leg brackets, and different bass drum claws. I'm quite sure it's all shared with the Absolute Hybrid Maple.
It's off a 2015 built PHX bass drum, the claw is made from die cast and is very heavy.

I had a new Hybrid maple set, they did not have these claws. It's okay not to know everything...

This is my Yamaha PHX claw...
IMG_1976.jpg

This is the Hybrid maple claw...
Hybrid Claw.jpg

Last edited:

musiqman

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
It's off a 2015 built PHX bass drum, the claw is made from die cast and is very heavy.

I had a new Hybrid maple set, they did not have these claws. It's okay not to know everything...

This is my Yamaha PHX claw...
View attachment 530084

This is the Hybrid maple claw...
View attachment 530085
017 is right btw. The PHX got an upgrade recently with the Hybrid hardware.

This is the re-newed PHX from my friend Omar.

1637907342304.png

I prefer the older hardware style though, and I ordered my floor toms as virgin option so I can have the older style ft brackets installed by my luthier.

Reaction score
I could care less about the small footprint tom mount, but those hinged floor tom leg brackets are a huge improvement. I don't think it's ever a good idea to lock a floor tom leg with a grub-style screw.