Yamaha PHX owners: Tell me about your drums?

Reaction score
It's off a 2015 built PHX bass drum, the claw is made from die cast and is very heavy.

I had a new Hybrid maple set, they did not have these claws. It's okay not to know everything...

This is my Yamaha PHX claw...
View attachment 530084

This is the Hybrid maple claw...
View attachment 530085
No problemo.

Here's what the part you were referring to in the BD claw looks like:

yamaha_thing by The 017, on Flickr

By chance, did you ever notice what the "gasket" material was made of on the Absolute Hybrid Maple bass claw? In all the photos I've seen it looks like rubber, but in the parts diagram it looks like hard plastic (similar design as your PHX/Sakae-Absolute BD claw). I think hard plastic is better, because it's less likely to crumble and fall apart like rubber will.

musiqman

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I could care less about the small footprint tom mount, but those hinged floor tom leg brackets are a huge improvement. I don't think it's ever a good idea to lock a floor tom leg with a grub-style screw.

I don't like the new ft brackets myself.

Imho there was nothing wrong with the old ones (especially t screw model), and the new ones provide more bracket to shell contact. Two reasons besides the look, that I will go with the old ones.

I do care about the smaller footprint though as it hides less of the stunning laquer and is less obtrusive, basically what the new FT brackets lack.

Edit

In that light, I wonder if the new Hybrid claws do have that same lock in the claw itself as it is sleeker than the old one.

Last edited:

Murat

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Big fan since day one and nothing changed really. Those bearing edges...so sweet ! I love the tone, looks, all of it. No wonder I happen to be the number one PHX dealer in Canada :) I believe in the product. I did pitch to the guys in Japan multiple times about some more finish and size options but they had their hands full with their ash issues and the whole pandemic but overall, a PHX is as good as anything in my books.

Reaction score
In that light, I wonder if the new Hybrid claws do have that same lock in the claw itself as it is sleeker than the old one.
The new AHM claws do not have that horseshoe shaped clip.

I honestly think that clip is just there to help stop the tension rod from sliding out the claw when you remove them. I think the primary part that helps hold tuning is the lug nuts with the nylon insert (the part on the left):

img_1618-jpg.464511

The photo is from this thread: https://www.drumforum.org/threads/lug-locks.177717/#post-1999196

musiqman

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The new AHM claws do not have that horseshoe shaped clip.

I honestly think that clip is just there to help stop the tension rod from sliding out the claw when you remove them. I think the primary part that helps hold tuning is the lug nuts with the nylon insert (the part on the left):

img_1618-jpg.464511

The photo is from this thread: https://www.drumforum.org/threads/lug-locks.177717/#post-1999196
That too. But as he said:
Even when the claw has been removed from the bass drum it still has firm tension on the tension rod.

It sounds like both do the job of keeping tension

Ill have to see for myself when the PHX arrives next year.

Those build in lug locks in the nut are really smart for the toms and snares.

They give just enough tension to stop drums from de-tuning but aren’t too in the way for fine tuning.

Reaction score
Any friction will help, but I'm still dubious about their purpose. I haven't mucked around with mine yet, so when I do I'll see first hand. Happy to be proven wrong!

My Bordin and Jimbo both have those nyloc nuts, but the Bordin has much more resistance. Once the tension rod hits the nylon insert, you can forget about finger tightening them. They are the exact same part, so I dont know why they're dramatically different.

Don't know if you've all seen this already, but here's a tour of Yamaha Music Craft's (PHX) drum department:

Can anyone tell me what this thing is for?

DSC09902-1000x667.jpg

Last edited:

SpinaDude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
These are stunning! Congratulations on the beautiful kit.

My first real kit was a mid-80's Tour Custom in cobalt blue. I couldn't play (and still can't) play like Anton, but it felt great to know I was travelling in his pack sound and gear wise. They didn't make me a better player, but as a 16 year old kid who bought them with his own money squirreled away from a part time gig, they meant the world to me.

I'll always have a soft spot for Yamaha. And they deserve it. Their gear is top tier, always has been.

I'm starting to think a PHX kit is my Moby Dick kit.

Congrats again, Musiqman. Those are an awesome holiday gift!!!

musiqman

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Thank you all.

I was almost forgotten how good these sound, especially after playing the Sonor Signature and DW Maple Mahogany I owned shortly, and the Tama Star BB I played in the store last month.`

I really can't wait till the other shells are done by the end of next year.

Last edited:

musiqman

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Also the difference of the PHX lug, coompared to the Absolute lug, in footprint on the shells was suprising.

7DB25DB0-184D-4F92-AE80-344F67ACE520.jpeg

They are really going for the extra mile with these stunners.