Yamaha PHX owners: Tell me about your drums?

cabasner

Reaction score
Hi all,
I don't think I've ever posted to this forum before, but I am giving serious consideration to getting a Phoenix drum set. I currently play a DW Collectors Cherry set, which I love, but I am pondering the top end sets from all the big manufacturers, and have heard nothing but fabulous reports on the Phoenix set, many of which were posted in this thread, so many thanks to all the posters here. I wonder if any of you can answer a very niche question related to the YESS tom mounting system. If I get the Phoenix set, I will probably get a 10" rack tom and a 12" rack tom, and will probably use a Gibraltar Stealth rack system to mount everything. I was wondering if any you happen to know if the Gibraltar rack systems have a dual tom mount part that will specifically accommodate the Yamaha YESS tom mounts, and if so, what that part number might be. I have been considering both the Tama Star Bubinga set, along with the Phoenix, and if I go Phoenix, I would probably get the Burled Ash gloss in mono Turquoise or the Sunburst Turquoise. I think those colors are absolutely stunning!

Thanks for any help any of you can provide to a potential future Phoenix owner.

cabasner

Reaction score
Hi again, all,
RickP told me that I should contact Drummer's Hangout in Canada to get a price on a Phoenix kit. I did so, and Murat gave me a truly fabulous price on a 5 piece kit, a 22"x16" bass, 10" and 12" rack toms, and 14" and 16" floor toms in Gloss Ash Burl. Even with the spectacular price that Murat provided, as I told him, I still need to do some serious thinking. Still...a Yamaha Phoenix...wow! Those of you who fortunate enough to own such a kit are truly lucky. Again, as I mentioned in my prior post, I don't have anything to complain about myself, having a 6 piece (plus different type of snare) DW Collectors kit. If I had everything I dream about, in addition to my DW Collectors, and the Phoenix I'm talking about here, I'd love to have a Sonor SQ2 and a Tama Star Bubinga. With those 4 kits, no one in the world (at least the world I live in) could ever legitimately have GAS for anything else! Right! But, honestly, even one of the "Big 4" should be enough for anyone. Something about true quality, though, is a never ending desire for me. I have Gibson and Fender Custom Shop Les Paul and Stratocaster guitars, and, more than anyone should have a right to have, 2 Fodera basses. For those of you who don't know about Fodera, they are THE top end bass builder out of Brooklyn, NY. Having one should be sufficient, but I have two of those. Please understand...I'm not bragging. I am ultra, extraordinarily fortunate to be able to own such fantastic instruments, more fortunate than the vast majority of folks. And I recognize that good fortune. I only mention it because it sort of illustrates my desire for high quality instruments. And a Yamaha Phoenix would be one of those ultimate quality items!

zenghost

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Indeed, Murat is the man - what a kind and generous soul. He is a great resource for our community and we are fortunate to have him.

Hazelwood7

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
cabasner said:
Hi again, all,
RickP told me that I should contact Drummer's Hangout in Canada to get a price on a Phoenix kit. I did so, and Murat gave me a truly fabulous price on a 5 piece kit, a 22"x16" bass, 10" and 12" rack toms, and 14" and 16" floor toms in Gloss Ash Burl. Even with the spectacular price that Murat provided, as I told him, I still need to do some serious thinking. Still...a Yamaha Phoenix...wow! Those of you who fortunate enough to own such a kit are truly lucky. Again, as I mentioned in my prior post, I don't have anything to complain about myself, having a 6 piece (plus different type of snare) DW Collectors kit. If I had everything I dream about, in addition to my DW Collectors, and the Phoenix I'm talking about here, I'd love to have a Sonor SQ2 and a Tama Star Bubinga. With those 4 kits, no one in the world (at least the world I live in) could ever legitimately have GAS for anything else! Right! But, honestly, even one of the "Big 4" should be enough for anyone. Something about true quality, though, is a never ending desire for me. I have Gibson and Fender Custom Shop Les Paul and Stratocaster guitars, and, more than anyone should have a right to have, 2 Fodera basses. For those of you who don't know about Fodera, they are THE top end bass builder out of Brooklyn, NY. Having one should be sufficient, but I have two of those. Please understand...I'm not bragging. I am ultra, extraordinarily fortunate to be able to own such fantastic instruments, more fortunate than the vast majority of folks. And I recognize that good fortune. I only mention it because it sort of illustrates my desire for high quality instruments. And a Yamaha Phoenix would be one of those ultimate quality items!
A good friend of mine is a Fodera endorser. They are the best of the best

R

RickP

zenghost said:
Indeed, Murat is the man - what a kind and generous soul. He is a great resource for our community and we are fortunate to have him.
+1 - a true Gentleman indeed and will bend over backwards to help out a fellow drummer.

xsabers

World's Second Most Okayest Drummer
Reaction score
zenghost said:
Signed - Murat's mother

($1 to Juan Luis Pedro Felipo de Huevos Epstein...)

zenghost

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
xsabers said:
Signed - Murat's mother

($1 to Juan Luis Pedro Felipo de Huevos Epstein...)
:laughing4:

I know, sounds like a bit much. However, Murat is the first drum shop owner to invite me to his residence for an overnight stay complete with a barbecue dinner when picking up a kit. That's just one example of many !

I joked with Murat that his name translates to "patience" in Turkish because he has showed it in abundance with me.

Murat

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Blushing here a little bit ...

Thank you Treviso1, RickP , Zenghost and Cabasner ! You guys make stuff fun and easy for me ! I will leave you with a couple of pictures I took today :)

Attachments

Tommy D

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Pretty kit, but its too bad Yamaha got the fade backwards on that kick drum. Its a pet peeve of mine to see the fades on the toms one way and have the bass drum the opposite direction.

R

RickP

Tommy D said:
Pretty kit, but its too bad Yamaha got the fade backwards on that kick drum. Its a pet peeve of mine to see the fades on the toms one way and have the bass drum the opposite direction.
DW does their bass drum fades the same way.

xsabers

Reaction score
The fade is only backwards to some drummers who see things from a batter/reso viewpoint. From the audience perspective, I think it looks a lot more correct.

xsabers

Reaction score
Does anyone make their fades the other way? I would like to see an example because in my mind, it seems like it would not be as attractive from out front.

Tommy D

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
xsabers said:
Does anyone make their fades the other way? I would like to see an example because in my mind, it seems like it would not be as attractive from out front.
Here is a shot of my Gretsch kit:

xsabers

Reaction score
Ok, I've got no problem either way I guess. Both look great.

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
Gorgeous kit, Murat! Hard to believe you still have them. Try finding a Phoenix kit in stock that isn't going for practically full list? Someone pick these fabulous drums up already!

Murat

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Treviso1 said:
Gorgeous kit, Murat! Hard to believe you still have them. Try finding a Phoenix kit in stock that isn't going for practically full list? Someone pick these fabulous drums up already!
I am a bit surprised too but I am guessing when you buy a really high end kit like this one, you want the config and the color to be exactly what you want. 22, 13 , 16 might not be everyone's cup of tea or the color might not be exactly what they dream about...

But still...I am a bit surprised :). This is a gorgeous looking and sounding kit :)

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
Murat,
That is a perfect kit. The right drummer needs to walk in to your shop and simply come to this realization also!

River

Reaction score
Murat said:
Blushing here a little bit ...

Thank you Treviso1, RickP , Zenghost and Cabasner ! You guys make stuff fun and easy for me ! I will leave you with a couple of pictures I took today :icon_smile:
A Packers fan would buy that kit in a second. Advertise it on Wisconsin Craigslist.

Murat

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Treviso1 said:
Murat,
That is a perfect kit. The right drummer needs to walk in to your shop and simply come to this realization also!
I have zero worries about this kit Treviso1. I know someone is going to see it and fall in love she'll go to a great home. And then of course the owner will want the 14" Floor (or 18") , the 10" rack etc... :)