YAMAHA PRC 100 ANNIVERSARY - BIRDSEYE MAPLE - 1 of 10 MADE

coindrummer

Reaction score
Here's a posting of a very rare and special drumkit I once owned. I purchased this kit in 1988 courtesy of the late great Marty Mahoney (The Drum Shop-Las Vegas)....I sadly sold this kit in 1994 to raise money for a home purchase. I don't even need to say how much I regret selling this kit.

The Kit is: YAMAHA 100 year Anniversary Birdseye Maple - 1 of only 10 made worldwide. Yamaha also made 10 of these special 100 year Anniversary kits in Sapelli wood, and 10 in Bubinga wood.
30 total 100 year kits made in 3 different woods.

the drum shells were all 6-ply birch with (in my case) maple outer layers. Each 100 year Anniversary kit contained 6 drums. 22x16 kick, 14x51/2 wood birch snare, 10x10 rack, 12x10 rack, 13x11 rack & 16x16 floor. The serial numbers began with #1 through #300 and ran in sequence for each individual drum. My kit serial # ran 110 through 115.

The first picture is from the Yamaha factory - note that a brass snare was used for this picture.
The other pictures are old photos converted to digital format of my kit in my home. I still have the special issue 100 year Anniversary drum key with case.

I wish I had taken more pictures...I just didn't truly realize back then what an absolute treasure I had. My old kit's whereabouts are unknown to me.....but I'd give just about anything to have it back!

Enjoy these few photos:

Attachments

W

wayne

Wow, quite a story, but im thinking those tom sizes are a deal breaker, regardless of the "history"...likely im wrong again, as usual though....Should be easy to pin these down.

coindrummer

Reaction score
Yes I agree, the power tom sizes are not widely used today but were definitely in vogue for the 80's....I have not seen one of these 100 year Anniversary kits for sale since the day I sold mine in 1994...and I've been looking! Even finding photos of the three: Birds eye maple-Sapelli-Bubinga - (10 made each) kits are tough to locate. I would imagine by now that the 30 owners of these kits understand and appreciate their classic value, beauty and rarity...at least I would hope they do!

mischa

Reaction score
I got one! IMG_1795.JPG

this must be one of the sapelli kits, it was sold to me 20 years ago and was supposed to be massive palissander
the hardware is all gold plated and I was told that there was a total of 100 kits produced
my serial nrs are 115, 119 and 137, some toms have the same nrs !
nobody in europe knows these kits, not even yahaha themselves.
they were crazy expensive when new.