Yamaha Recording Custom 80s 90s - What`s it worth?

PPF

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I have a Yamaha Recording custom sizes 10/12/14/20 in a black finish. I don`t have pics or the serial numbers right now - will get them next week.
also I have a set of diecast hoops as well as wood hoops for the kit and I`m not sure which one is original.
I also have a 14x16" yamaha birch custom absolute floor tom and a 12x18x bass drum (converted from a floor) I would like to get rid of.

Any ideas what a fair price would be?

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Floor Tom 14x14
Wood hoops are definitely not original to the RC kits. 10/12/14FT/20 sounds like a $1500 kit to me, maybe more if it’s in perfect shape (and because I prefer a true FT over hanging FT).

Reactions: PPF

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't see the Made In England RC's that often. Supposedly they may have sourced shells from a different location than the Japan made RC's. Some say they don't sound as good. Haven't heard any of them to make a comparison. If they sound great that's all that matters here.

The 14" Floor Tom (FT-914 RC) is dated in mid-1992. That's a pretty scarce drum. And very desirable in black since there are so many black kits that might desire one. Floor Tom - 900 series - 14 in size - Recording Custom - IM (1992 July).
Pretty cool to find one of these in a jazz sized kit of 10,12,14,20. Most are always sporting 22 and 24 bass drums with 16 in floor toms. The move was underway by then towards smaller sizes - but it had a along way to go in the peak of hair
metal deep tom period. I could see the $1500 level with the 14 being the most valuable of the group. Most of the 14's back in the later 80's to early 90's seemed to be hanging toms. I wasn't aware of die cast hoops on any RC's except maybe snare drums with aluminum hoops.

vintagedrummersweden

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I don't see the Made In England RC's that often. Supposedly they may have sourced shells from a different location than the Japan made RC's. Some say they don't sound as good. Haven't heard any of them to make a comparison. If they sound great that's all that matters here.

The 14" Floor Tom (FT-914 RC) is dated in mid-1992. That's a pretty scarce drum. And very desirable in black since there are so many black kits that might desire one. Floor Tom - 900 series - 14 in size - Recording Custom - IM (1992 July).
Pretty cool to find one of these in a jazz sized kit of 10,12,14,20. Most are always sporting 22 and 24 bass drums with 16 in floor toms. The move was underway by then towards smaller sizes - but it had a along way to go in the peak of hair
metal deep tom period. I could see the $1500 level with the 14 being the most valuable of the group. Most of the 14's back in the later 80's to early 90's seemed to be hanging toms. I wasn't aware of die cast hoops on any RC's except maybe snare drums with aluminum hoops.
I had a Yamaha Recording in the 90's with bass drum and (hanging) floor toms from Japan and a 12" made in England on the bass drum - same sound and quality.