Yamaha Recording Custom...Drying up?

strumdrum

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Guess they're hot again. Here's a 1983 T172 NW Recording Custom (all drums are model 9000) :

DSC02561.JPG

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
DanRH said:
Had one over 30 years ago. Great kit. Love that color too!
Great picture Dan! You certainly have had some cool kits throughout the years. Thanks for posting.

doctor dirt

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
If your micing 100% of the time with a good system and have inserts on the board for drums.
Just pick up an older set of Stage Customs for very little money, mic them and theres a really good sounding Birch kit!
I gigged with YRC for many years until I took a friends advice on YSC and he was right. You can find a really clean YSC
for less than 400. and they will sound really good with quality sound gear. (not bad on their own either)
Doc.

TDM

Yapping Internet Mutt
Reaction score

RedRaider

Reaction score
Love the Quartz Grey RC's! I found a set on Craigslist for $400 right after I purchased my Stage White RC's. The owner thought they were Stage Customs and I felt bad and let him know what he really had. He was thankful that I let him know and insisted on selling them to me for $400 anyway. Cleaned them up and held on to them for a while but ended up selling them a few months later because they were not the sizes I prefer. Such a cool color...good luck to you.

Lance

Attachments

A J

DFO Master
Reaction score
I had a used set of Yamaha RCs for about 10 years. I sold it a couple years ago and never looked back. While my RCs were excellent drums, they weren't any better to my ears than some "lesser" drums that I own. Frankly, I couldn't even hear the difference between a Stage Custom and a Recording Custom kit when headed and tuned the same. After decades of looking for "MY" sound, the RCs really weren't it. Strangely, "lesser" quality drum turned out to be the ones that brought a smile to my face and are my work horses.

aparker2005

DFO Master
Reaction score
Funny, now that I own a kit, I can definitely tell a difference. They're deeper sounding and have more of a low rumble than my stage customs did.

I was worried I wouldn't be able to tell a difference but in my experience it's been huge.

elcid

drum czar
Reaction score
Always wanted a set like Steve Gadd used back in the early 80s...in piano black too. Well, finally bought one from a young guy in Simi Valley Califa about two years ago. It isn't absolutely mint but looks stunning. Also bought an 8" tom from ebay about a year later and matches quite well; vintage is very close to the kit I purchased. Am currently using it to reharse with an small band (at home; don't think I will ever haul it around--an old 80s Tama set will see action instead). Too bad I can't post pics of it (don't know how! :crybaby:)...

-elcid

Pounder

DFO Star
Reaction score
I think there are plenty out there, maybe not in Quartz Grey, but they are probably gradually becoming rarer.

devinw

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
DanRH said:
Had one over 30 years ago. Great kit. Love that color too!
That picture makes meenvisioning you playing some badass 70s jazz fusion on that thing.

PistolPete44

Reaction score
Hello,
These are for sale. 89/90 YRC. Quartz Grey. One owner, Bought new, Excellent condition. Bass drum tom mount for 8 & 10 and 945 Yamaha stand with tom mounts for 12 & 14. 16 floor has legs. The drums in the pic are what you will get. Bought no snare drum with the kit.
Thanks.
George
Charlotte NC

Attachments

RedRaider

Reaction score
PistolPete44 said:
Hello,
These are for sale. 89/90 YRC. Quartz Grey. One owner, Bought new, Excellent condition. Bass drum tom mount for 8 & 10 and 945 Yamaha stand with tom mounts for 12 & 14. 16 floor has legs. The drums in the pic are what you will get. Bought no snare drum with the kit.
Thanks.
George
Charlotte NC
Treviso1 definitely needs this one! Such an awesome kit...is that a 20in kick?

Hemant

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I always thought the RC's sounded great. However, I always thought the Tour Custom from that era - with the birch/mahogany composite shell - sounded smoother and fatter. I always preferred that shell to the all birch RCs. If you can scoop one up they are really one of the best vintage values out there. Here are mine:

Attachments

michaelg

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
aparker2005 said:
Funny, now that I own a kit, I can definitely tell a difference. They're deeper sounding and have more of a low rumble than my stage customs did.

I was worried I wouldn't be able to tell a difference but in my experience it's been huge.
Did your stage customs the newer birch shell ?

Saladdaze

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
PistolPete44 said:
Hello,
Thanks.
George
Charlotte NC
Treviso, your ship has come in! And it's only a 10 hour drive for you.
:wink:

aparker2005

DFO Master
Reaction score
michaelg said:

Did your stage customs the newer birch shell ?
They were the 2013 model