Yamaha Recording Custom Kick drum 14 x 22 vs 18 x 22: Opinions?

culture trash

Reaction score
I am in the market for a new Yamaha Recording Custom kit, and I found a great local deal on a 5-piece for less than 3k, but the kick drum is an 18 x 22. For almost all of my kits I've played 14 x 22 kicks, so I am not sure whether I should stick it out for a 14 x 22 set or just spring for this kit because it is a great deal. Any opinions from people who have played the new recording customs would be appreciated!

Rivot

Reaction score
I would go for the 14in deep it has better attack and faster response the 18 deep is also a killer bass drum I would have both if I could afford it.

culture trash

Reaction score
I currently have 2 recording custom kits, 14x22 every day of the week.
Just my opinion. Oh and welcome to the forum.
Thank you for this! Are they the new models are the vintage ones? I only ask because I know that some people have spoken to the differences in tone on the kick drum between the newer models and the vintage ones.

culture trash

Reaction score
I would go for the 14in deep it has better attack and faster response the 18 deep is also a killer bass drum I would have both if I could afford it.
The only way I have talked myself into it is that I do not own any 18" deep kick drums...so in that sense it does fill a void.

mydadisjr

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have had a few 18x22 BD's (one currently for sale, but not a Yamaha)... at the end of the day, while they do sound good, they are JUST TOO BIG. Heavy, hard to move, hard to get in a car, take up too much space etc. Gotta go with the 14" (although I think 16x22 is the perfect compromise).

Here is my perfect 16x22 (but not a Yamaha)...

IMG_20220415_084347.jpg

culture trash

Reaction score
I have had a few 18x22 BD's (one currently for sale, but not a Yamaha)... at the end of the day, while they do sound good, they are JUST TOO BIG. Heavy, hard to move, hard to get in a car, take up too much space etc. Gotta go with the 14" (although I think 16x22 is the perfect compromise).

Here is my perfect 16x22 (but not a Yamaha)...

View attachment 560520
That is a beauty! The kit I am considering is going to almost certainly be a home studio kit, but even then, its not a huge room, so those extra four inches are precious.

drawtheline55

Owner/admin
Administrator
Reaction score
Thank you for this! Are they the new models are the vintage ones? I only ask because I know that some people have spoken to the differences in tone on the kick drum between the newer models and the vintage ones.
They are older ones, one kit is late 90s, the other is the reissue they did about 10 yrs ago in hot red
the 90s kit I ordered with a 14x22 the hot red is a 16x22

nmosko

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Glad you got the one you liked!!

For my personal tastes, I like a 16-18. Anything less than a 16 just doesn't have the oomph i like. An 18 really has that thickness and the volume along with the punch. A 16 does as well and is just a bit punchier, so it is perfect in my opinion. I love a 16x22. A 14 has always just been too shallow for me and just doesn't have the strength that I like in my bass drums. I've noticed though that it seems like 14x22 has become the standard kick size on most shell packs. On sweetwater it seems that almost every shell pack with a 22" kick has a 14x22! They are super popular and sound great for a lot of stuff though. I just like a 16-18.

DWSlingerland45

DFO Veteran
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got the surf green as well! Such a good-looking color on that drum. I'll probably be looking to add a 9x13 rack...but that is probably going to be easier said than done.
You can order the 13 x 9 it'll just be a wait ... I'd call some of the larger shops including drummers hangout in Canada , the owner Murat is a member here as well ...never know what they have in stock as singles....