Yamaha Signature Snares

Treviso1

DFO Star
Reaction score
JR Robinson snare just popped up in new condition
Out of all the signature Yamaha drums I have played (virtually all of them), this is my favorite model. The Birdseye Maple JR Robinson "Nail" Drum in 6.5x14. It is an amazing drum to play and aesthetically one of the most gorgeous drums I have ever seen...and I have seen lots of them! These drums sound amazing and won't disappoint.

Reaction score
The OG from 2000.

1652960796239.png

Later after this 5,5, and the earlier mentioned 6,5 Yamaha made a limited Custom run in two finishes.

The BSD1465N:

1652960962894.jpeg

1652960974063.jpeg

Reaction score

the_pilot_drummer

Reaction score
beautiful indeed and pricey :/
Out of all the signature Yamaha drums I have played (virtually all of them), this is my favorite model. The Birdseye Maple JR Robinson "Nail" Drum in 6.5x14. It is an amazing drum to play and aesthetically one of the most gorgeous drums I have ever seen...and I have seen lots of them! These drums sound amazing and won't disappoint.

the_pilot_drummer

Reaction score
I have more thank a few Yamaha signature snares: Erskine 12 and 10, Weckl 13 maple and 5.5 x 14 aluminum, Colaiuta (signed), Garibaldi, and a few Gadd snares from first generation. My favorite is a Gadd brass snare that was at one time owned by the great one himself. The serial number is 00000. I can’t bring myself to play it. I did speak with him about it.
Hey MarkB how do you compare the Gadd Brass with the Katche?

MarkB

Reaction score
Hey MarkB how do you compare the Gadd Brass with the Katche?
I don’t have nor have I played a brass Manu snare. I would imagine a lot of these drums are very similar. For example, I have a steel Gadd and a steel Ndugu snare. Other than color and lug, they are probably the same shell. I doubt they were reinventing the wheel with every signature snare.

Reaction score
I don’t have nor have I played a brass Manu snare. I would imagine a lot of these drums are very similar. For example, I have a steel Gadd and a steel Ndugu snare. Other than color and lug, they are probably the same shell. I doubt they were reinventing the wheel with every signature snare.
The biggest difference between those two in the first-gen, is the black nickel finish, the adjustable butt-end, and different lugs and zink die-cast hoops, and those do give a totally different sound and feel.

The Gadd has a deeper snare bad for more responsive snare action.

1653149189550.jpeg

1653149200125.jpeg

RyanLovesDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The biggest difference between those two in the first-gen, is the black nickel finish, the adjustable butt-end, and different lugs and zink die-cast hoops, and those do give a totally different sound and feel.

View attachment 560632

View attachment 560633
Thanks for showing that pic of the Manu Katche snare. I didn’t know it came with a diplomat snare side head. Mine came with the original snare side head it appears(it says “Yamaha snare” on it) and it came with the original snare wires although the guy before me cut one snare wire off so it has 19 wires now and I’m not sure if they’re any good anymore because they’re a lot more bendable than fresh wires. Anyways, I took both of them off(I still have them) and have been using Canopus 16 strand snare wires and a Ludwig X-thin snare side head that I think is 3mil. I haven’t been liking the sound, maybe it’s because the snare likes a 2 mil snare side head and 20 strand snare wires. What do you think I should do? I also have a slightly-used Evans 2 mil head I could use if that Yamaha one is too used up to put on there again.

the_pilot_drummer

Reaction score

View attachment 560632

View attachment 560633
thank you @TheDrummerFromAmsterdam for sharing this.
At the end, lets say: manu, gadd and leim all should sound the same (ish) but those features will give to them the different final touch.

Reaction score
thank you @TheDrummerFromAmsterdam for sharing this.
At the end, lets say: manu, gadd and leim all should sound the same (ish) but those features will give to them the different final touch.
I found them to be considerable different.

Especially the Leim.

That is probably Yamaha’s best signature. Especially the 6,5 model.

Where the Manu is a kind of one trick pony, the Leim lends itself for much more tunings and sounds I noticed.

The Gadd is just meh conpared to the two any way. In that case you are better of with an Supra.

the_pilot_drummer

Reaction score
I found them to be considerable different.

Especially the Leim.

That is probably Yamaha’s best signature. Especially the 6,5 model.

Where the Manu is a kind of one trick pony, the Leim lends itself for much more tunings and sounds I noticed.

The Gadd is just meh conpared to the two any way. In that case you are better of with an Supra.
I don’t have the Leim, I do have the Katche that sounds good, but I’m always looking for a Leim, the 6.5” is my goal but I never found one available in a good price, actually I found one in norway but pricey plus importation taxes…
This models never pops up on the market, it is like the Elvin Jones who has it doesn’t sell.

the_pilot_drummer

Reaction score
Which one do you guys reckon is the best sounding one? 14x6.5 or 14x5.5 ? looking the 6.5 is way more beautiful but how about soundwise ?

Reaction score
I don’t have the Leim, I do have the Katche that sounds good, but I’m always looking for a Leim, the 6.5” is my goal but I never found one available in a good price, actually I found one in norway but pricey plus importation taxes…
This models never pops up on the market, it is like the Elvin Jones who has it doesn’t sell.
I had the 6,5.

Never should have sold it, but if you want something that sounds exactly the same.

Try to find the late 90’s alu model.

Reaction score
More JR goodness:

MrDrums2112

"Normal" Drummer
Reaction score
I had the Steve Gadd sig snare about 2 years ago I sold it after 2 months I did not like how it sounded tuned it in many ways it just not do it for me I suppose I expected to much but did not deliver luckly I sold it for almost I paid for it sad l know i now have a Yamaha Absolute Hybrid maple and love it i know different leagues but this one is Killer loud as and heaps of Presence.
I've got the latest edition of the Gadd snare. I really do not like it as it comes set up (Gadd's specs, with the PS3 batter and diplomat snare side). I think the PS3 is a terrible, batter for a snare. I do like the Gadd wires - very responsive. I put a Remo Skyntone batter on it and it opened up considerably and became a very different snare. I'm going to try it with my favorite snare head combo - Aquarian Modern Vintage over Ambassador snare side and see how I like it.