Yamaha Stage Custom Birch Bebop Kit (Raven Black) 18/12/14 Sound Test/Demo

Mostly Bop Drums

Reaction score
Watch it here! Yamaha Stage Custom Birch Bebop Kit (Raven Black) 18/12/14 Sound Test/Demo

Making its first appearance on this channel, today’s video features the Yamaha Stage Custom Bebop Kit! The kit we used comes in a “Raven Black” lacquer finish. For this demo, we put Remo Coated Ambassadors on the tom batters and Evans UV1s on the resos. On the bass drum batter, we put a Coated Ambassador.

18 x 15 Bass Drum
12 x 8 Tom
14 x 13 Floor Tom

Snare: Yamaha “Anton Fig” Signature 6x14 Snare, with Yamaha Vintage Wood Hoops
Cymbals: 22" Zildjian K Constantinople Renaissance Ride (Modified by Jesse Simpson), 20" Istanbul 30th Anniversary Ride, 14" Vintage Avedis Hi-Hats.

Hope you enjoy!

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
want opinions? The snare quality is like warm cotton sweater thick rich in tone. The toms and bass are like a thin Hanes t-shirt.
I don't believe those toms and bass could have replaced for instance Roy Haynes late 1950s sound on recordings. If the two sounds were switched it'd be noticeable. Sort of get what you pay for. However playing them well is not a cost issue. That's putting the work experience into technique and skill (which this drummer I think has. But even good technique sounds t shirt thin on those (except for the snare) (which I owned one of, when they first came out (and cost less than they are today)

Last edited:

jaymandude

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you want to gets mountains of praise for stage customs you’ve come to the right place. I have personally scaled that mountain 2 or 3 times and am now resting comfortably in the lodge and drinking hot chocolate, having parted ways with them and come away unscathed.

Targalx

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
How come my Stage Custom Birch Bop Kit doesn't sound that good?
Oh, it's because I'm playing it.

But...to shovel more praise on the mountain that Jaymandude has mentioned, yes, this is by far the best bargain kit, in my experience of owning over two dozen kits and playing on hundreds of others' kits.

Thanks for sharing this great demo.

scaramanga

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I keep telling people I'm a Ludwig guy, and I keep lusting after a Gretsch kit. And yet every time I hear a Yamaha jazz kit - backline at a club, in the cymbal demo room of a nice drum shop, whatever - I think: "That is perfect". It's messing with my head.

Sinclair

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Those sound very nice where they're tuned. Can't beat the price. Wonder if they sound as good at different ranges. Nice looking video too.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
wait you play in different ranges.
that's pretty advanced
I thought one just changed sets

Sinclair

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
wait you play in different ranges.
that's pretty advanced
I thought one just changed sets
Of course I have three identical kits each tuned differently depending on who I'm channeling on the particular gig I don't have. Saves a ton of time too, you're right.