Yamaha Stage Custom Birch mic’d live

kallen49

Reaction score
Rarer (for me) rock gig last night at a local bar with a house PA and sound tech. He did a fine job, as far as the on stage sound. Debuted my new Yammie crosstown hardware, it worked well.
I didn’t ask his opinion but when tearing down it was satisfying to hear him complement both the sound of the drums and snare.
Yamaha Stage Custom Birch with Coated emps & clear ambassadors, Superkick 2 on the (20”) bass, ported head. Ludwig blacrolite 14”x 6” w coated emperor. Only muffling was a small towel in bass.
I sold my Yammie oaks last year, IMHO SC Birch are great value and damage-worry free, as Shane of DCOP says:

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
IMO, the Stage Custom Birch v.2 kits are easily the best SC kits Yamaha has ever released. As a working drummer for decades, naturally I'm concerned about tone & quality. SC birch delivers both at an incredible value. My 12,16,24 Birch rig gets the job done for any amplified genre in any venue.

yamahasetfull.jpg

Yamahasetgood.jpg

Tigerdrummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
IMO, the Stage Custom Birch v.2 kits are easily the best SC kits Yamaha has ever released. As a working drummer for decades, naturally I'm concerned about tone & quality. SC birch delivers both at an incredible value. My 12,16,24 Birch rig gets the job done for any amplified genre in any venue.

View attachment 382940
View attachment 382939
I have those in that color but a smaller bass drum. I really enjoy them but I'm a home player only.

shuffle

DFO Master
Reaction score
You played my kit on NYE!
Same heads and all!
My SC Yammies and my 6.5 Blackro!
They are a fabulous bang for the buck!

Drumceet

Reaction score

View attachment 382940
View attachment 382939
I bought the same kit (isn't the honey amber beautiful?) last Nov and I can't tell you how much fun I'm playing it. Great value for the kit and hardware that came with it, fantastic value.

I have since bought a vintage Ludwig Supra 402 and now the whole kit just sings. I did really like the birch snare, and it makes a great back up, but wasn't giving me the sound I had in my head.

Drumceet

Reaction score
I just went ahead and placed an order for a 14" floor tom to add to my current 12" and 16" config.

I've been playing a two floor tom config in the rehearsal studio we book, and I wanted to add the exact same setup at home. I really love the sound of a 14" floor tom. I should receive it in about 3-4 weeks.

shuffle

DFO Master
Reaction score
My black lacquer kit was 10,12,16,22.
I added a 14 fltm plus a 13,if i wanted 13,16,22.
Love these kits!

drumsforme

Reaction score
I know all the Yamaha loyalists might hammer me on this, but I have owned a 2015 Stage Custom All Birch and a 2014 Tama Silverstar (all birch shell). Both kits are in the same price range. I fitted both kits with clear Emperors with the same exact tuning.
I must say that the Tama tom mounting system, overall build, shell finishing, tone, projection, overall sound is a bit better to my ears than the Stage Custom and I have gigged both kits dozens of times......I agree on what you say on SC, but I think the Tama kit is better kit overall.....anyone else agree?

OldeEnglishD

Reaction score
Love my Stage Customs. I have the 22, 12, 13, 16 set up and am always on the lookout for a matching 14" floor tom (cranberry red, long tube lugs that looks like the RC). Great sound and value that is hard to beat.

shuffle

DFO Master
Reaction score
I know all the Yamaha loyalists might hammer me on this, but I have owned a 2015 Stage Custom All Birch and a 2014 Tama Silverstar (all birch shell). Both kits are in the same price range. I fitted both kits with clear Emperors with the same exact tuning.
I must say that the Tama tom mounting system, overall build, shell finishing, tone, projection, overall sound is a bit better to my ears than the Stage Custom and I have gigged both kits dozens of times......I agree on what you say on SC, but I think the Tama kit is better kit overall.....anyone else agree?
Ive always wanted to try out the Silverstars but havent.
Ive seen them up close and agree,the fit,finish are outstanding.

Latest posts