Yamaha Stage Custom Birch Shells

ricco

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Looking for first-hand reviews from Forum members on these drums. I want an inexpensive gigging kit that sounds "good" and can hold up to being a dependable working set.

gonzo

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Had a set and they were good drums. Solid hardware, super finishes, and of course good sound. Like any drum, you will find a variety of opinions on head selections to get the sound you want. Frankly, I think the best kept secret of the drum world are the PDP/Pacific line from DW. These drums are solid and hold up very well for gigging. Don't underestimate these drums and you can get them very, very cheap---especially the FS birch series!

franke

DFO Star
Reaction score
Looking for first-hand reviews from Forum members on these drums. I want an inexpensive gigging kit that sounds "good" and can hold up to being a dependable working set.
i just got a letter from Yamaha saying that they are about to offer rebates on this series, so stay tuned....

makinao

Reaction score
Pardon for reviving a dead thread instead of starting a new one ....

Does anyone here have (or had) China made 1st gen Birch SCs in 13/16/24 with 14x6.5 10-lug steel? Someone is selling a mint gold sparkle kit with Evans heads, and I'm intrigued because i've never had a 24" kick. It will probably stay home until I retire from my day job in a couple of years. All bets are off after that :)

Nubs

Reaction score
Good!
Good!!
Good!!!

Excellent drums! I bought a set a few months ago and haven't desired anything else since. Maybe it's the honeymoon phase still, but I find these to be simply awesome.

Go get 'em!!

audiochurch

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I wish they would make their future Stage Customs with 14" depth bass drums. I love these drums, but the deep bass drums just don't fit well in my car.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wish they would make their future Stage Customs with 14" depth bass drums. I love these drums, but the deep bass drums just don't fit well in my car.
Yup, I cut my 20" down to 13.75 from 17. Glad I did it. Cost me about a hundie. I cut it from the reso side because I prefer the tom mount where it is. If I had cut it from the batter side, it would've brought the toms closer. So, I've got a couple spur holes that I didn't fill because the spurs had to be moved back. I'm OK with it.

SCCutBassdrum3.JPG
SCCutBassdrum5.JPG
SCCutBassdrum6.JPG

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good!
Good!!
Good!!!

Excellent drums! I bought a set a few months ago and haven't desired anything else since. Maybe it's the honeymoon phase still, but I find these to be simply awesome.

Go get 'em!!
AGREED!
AGREDD!!
AGREED!!!

Piggpenn

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

Matched Gripper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yup, I cut my 20" down to 13.75 from 17. Glad I did it. Cost me about a hundie. I cut it from the reso side because I prefer the tom mount where it is. If I had cut it from the batter side, it would've brought the toms closer. So, I've got a couple spur holes that I didn't fill because the spurs had to be moved back. I'm OK with it.

View attachment 493712 View attachment 493713 View attachment 493714
If I may ask, who cut it for you? Did they also cut a factory bearing edge?

Targalx

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
People here on DFO are probably sick of me talking up my Stage Custom Birch kit. But I've said it before and I'll say it again: I own just about every Yamaha kit model made in the '90s and early '00s (see the list in my signature below). All of my other kits are more "professional" and higher priced than my SC Birch.

Which is the kit I gig with the most? Stage Custom Birch.

I hope that tells you something.

Living Dead Drummer

Reaction score
Stage Customs are top notch! I have taken them on national tours more than once because they not only sound great, but can stand up to the punishment of the road.
My new "Blood Spatter" kit is actually made from Stage Custom shells. I wanted something that wasn't super expensive just incase this paint job experiment went south, but I also wanted it to sound good should the kit come out good. Well the finish turned out great, and I used the kit on a series of streaming concerts last month. Sounded fantastic miced up.
I suggest using thicker heads on the toms, they seem to compliment the thick birch shells.

Andrew801

Reaction score

View attachment 493712 View attachment 493713 View attachment 493714
Thank you for including the pictures Dan. Regarding that front reso head. Is that the stock head with the logo that you ported? If so, I have seen the off color ring around the hole before. What exactly is that? Hole edge reinforcement? The reason I ask is that I am about to pull the trigger on a Stage Custom and I understand they ship with the black reso, but I prefer the look of the white ported reso head. In this linked review, the head is white, but also has the additional white ring around the port. Thanks!

Yamaha Stage Custom Birch Drum Set Review - YouTube