Yamaha Stage Custom - First Gen vs. Latest Gen

FDH

Reaction score
Hi all, I have a first generation Yahama Stage Custom in marina green (10/12/14 toms and 20 bass drum). While it has served me very well for many years, I am considering getting a new kit. Looking at various brands, possibly even the latest generation of Stage Custom Birch drums.

I am wondering, is there a noticeable difference in sound between the first generation and latest generation (5th I believe) Stage Customs?

Also, do the YESS tom mounts perform better? Meaning with the first gen, it was very finicky where you had to position the tom on the hex rod in order to get it to sustain correctly. I realize the new mounts don't penetrate the drum anymore, but thought I'd ask for those who have experienced both Stage Customs.

Thanks for any input.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I tried a Stage Custom back around '95, which I believe would be the first generation of that drum (before that it would be a "Stage" or 5000 series. I looked at one in the early 1980's and it was basically a generic kit with Yamaha's name emblazoned on them).
I didn't like that kit I tried in '95.
It had a too much presence and almost no character.
It "blared" way too much for me.
In comparison, the current version reminds me of nicer Birch kits I tried in the 90's and those weren't too bad. Naturally, it has that "blank sheet of paper" kind of thing going on, but it also has a nice balance of fatness, brightness and warmth.
If you wanna stick with the Stage Custom, the current version would definitely be a step up (maybe a couple!) from the Stage Custom of the mid-90's.
...btw, if you're not married to Birch, check out the Tour Custom and see how you like Maple. Great kit at a great price point.

Elvis

Targalx

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Hi all, I have a first generation Yahama Stage Custom in marina green (10/12/14 toms and 20 bass drum). While it has served me very well for many years, I am considering getting a new kit. Looking at various brands, possibly even the latest generation of Stage Custom Birch drums.

I am wondering, is there a noticeable difference in sound between the first generation and latest generation (5th I believe) Stage Customs?

Also, do the YESS tom mounts perform better? Meaning with the first gen, it was very finicky where you had to position the tom on the hex rod in order to get it to sustain correctly. I realize the new mounts don't penetrate the drum anymore, but thought I'd ask for those who have experienced both Stage Customs.

Thanks for any input.
I've owned the first gen SC in Marina Green in a 10/12/14/20 config, exact same as your kit. I currently own a 2010 SC Birch (4th gen? — it's the 1st gen of the kit in all birch) in 12/14/18, so it's not an apples-to-apples comparison, but pretty close.

The short answer is yes, I do perceive a noticeable (better) difference between these generations of SCs.

I don't remember having YESS tom mounts on the 1st gen SC and I bought mine brand new in 1998-ish. It was just the standard Yamaha hex rod mounting system through the shells. Yours might have been retrofitted with YESS mounts...? But I love the YESS system and I think the SCB performs better with it.

FDH

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies!

@Elvis - Definitely I am checking out the Tour Customs as well. The YouTube clips I have seen of them sounds very nice.

@Targalx - You are correct, my set has the standard Yamaha hex rods through the shells.