Yamaha Stage Custom Hip 4-piece Shell Pack

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
Mine arrived earlier today - came in a single box! This post is a first impression. I'll be posting a more comprehensive review and videos here in a week after I put it through its paces at a rehearsal tomorrow (and, yes, social distancing and masks will be employed.)

A few notes, though: this kit is a LOT heavier than I thought that it would be. I'll go so far as to guess that it's close to twice as heavy as my old Catalina Club jazz kit.

The hardware is first rate. First, it's probably the reason why the kit is so heavy, but I was not expecting it to be as good as it is. I'll put it against the hardware quality on my DW kit.

Even with the stock heads this kit sounds amazing. I did swap out the bass drum batter head for a Remo Coated Ambassador pinstripe, but the original clear head is nothing to be ashamed of. I purchased Remo coated ambassadors to replace the stock heads on the snare batter and tom batter and reso heads, but am in no real hurry to do the head upgrade.

The floor tom has snares, so it can be used as a tom or auxiliary snare drum. I don't use aux snare drums, so I am going to remove the wires (but not the throw or butt) and set them aside.

Bass drum edges were absolutely perfect, indicating attention to quality down to that level of detail.

Some features: I fit the entire kit, including the 19" ride and 13" hi-hats I intend to use with the kit into a 20x14 Beato bass drum bag and a 14x14 Tama floor tom bag.

Because Yamaha sells their Stage Custom Birch drums as singles also, I ordered and received matching 14x13 and 12x8 toms, which arrived long before this kit did. The lead time for the Hip 4-piece was longer than I liked, but the wait was well worth it in my opinion.

Watch this thread for more info and videos after I spend some real time with the kit.

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The hardware is first rate. First, it's probably the reason why the kit is so heavy, but I was not expecting it to be as good as it is. I'll put it against the hardware quality on my DW kit.
Yes. The #1 reason I am playing almost all entirely Yamaha stuff is because of the hardware (I still use Ahead & Gibraltar thrones, and I also have a few Ludwig & DW snares).

I offloaded all of my other brands' hardware and kits (still kept a Tama Rockstar for sentimental reasons, my first new kit) was for this exact reason. I tried Yamaha hardware about 25 years ago, and thought, this is perfect—I'm switching to one brand for everything. I've had Yamaha hardware for over 20 years now and it's been great all around.

The drums themselves are excellent values, I can find parts and component drums easily, and they are well made.

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
Yes. The #1 reason I am playing almost all entirely Yamaha stuff is because of the hardware (I still use Ahead & Gibraltar thrones, and I also have a few Ludwig & DW snares).

I offloaded all of my other brands' hardware and kits (still kept a Tama Rockstar for sentimental reasons, my first new kit) was for this exact reason. I tried Yamaha hardware about 25 years ago, and thought, this is perfect—I'm switching to one brand for everything. I've had Yamaha hardware for over 20 years now and it's been great all around.

The drums themselves are excellent values, I can find parts and component drums easily, and they are well made.
I was referring to the lugs, throw, rods, etc. For hardware like stands I am a Tama Classic fan all the way. Was a DW flush base fan, but Tama's stuff is lighter, more compact and more stable. Would never use anything else.

Jml

Reaction score
Looking forward to your review. This kit interests me a lot. I have an older Stage Custom, and thinking about getting this for smaller venues, as the bass drum is less than half the depth (8” as opposed to 17”).

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
Looking forward to your review. This kit interests me a lot. I have an older Stage Custom, and thinking about getting this for smaller venues, as the bass drum is less than half the depth (8” as opposed to 17”).
Based only on the short time that I have owned this the bass drum is more than sufficient for small venues. I have a Tama Mini Jam kit too, with a 7" bass drum, which I've used indoors and outside with excellent results, and the Yamaha blows it away. Much deeper sound and more projection.

dsop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Because Yamaha sells their Stage Custom Birch drums as singles also, I ordered and received matching 14x13 and 12x8 toms, which arrived long before this kit did. The lead time for the Hip 4-piece was longer than I liked, but the wait was well worth it in my opinion.
They don't have them in the same finish options though. What color did you get?

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
They don't have them in the same finish options though. What color did you get?
Natural. I spent another $250 for the regular size toms to give the kit some options and the finishes matched perfectly.

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
Here are a few shots with the add-on toms that I purchased to change up the kit (they are all Yamaha Stage Custom Birch like the base kit):
Stock toms swapped out for a full size 12x8 rack tom and a 14x13 floor tom.
yschip-5.jpg

A different angle of the kit with full size toms.
yschip-6.jpg

Adding the stock floor tom to the add-on toms for a one up/two down configuration.
yschip-7.jpg

Moved the stock tom to the left for a Papa Jo Jones configuration. Also, since the stock floor tom has snares, this is a Steve Smith (and others) style set up with an auxiliary snare drum.
yschip-8.jpg

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
I may just get my Stage Custom bass drum cut down to a shallower depth.
That sounds like a viable approach. You may want to consider 10 inches, which is a little more depth for structural integrity if you are hanging toms off the bass drum. It would also add a touch more power to the low end.

mwalk

Reaction score
Just last month bought and had Memphis drum shop cut the BD of YSCB 22x17 down to 22x13 3/4. Much easier to get in and out of the car and a little lighter. Sounds fine to me ( only just played the kit 10-12-16-22 out first time 3 days ago. I ”grew up” playing a Ludwig New Yorker with 22x12 so I’m used to shallower sizes. The guys in the band thought the YSC sounded as good as the YCCs I’d been using (I favor the CCs, but no longer worry about damaging them)

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The guys in the band thought the YSC sounded as good as the YCCs I’d been using (I favor the CCs, but no longer worry about damaging them)
That’s my worry. I’ve never “babied” my drums in the past. All of my drums except the CCs have some kind of road wear to them, and I’m fine with that. But I can’t deal with my Club Customs getting scratched at a gig or something. They’re more of an heirloom piece than a regularly gigged kit. They’re in mint condition and those hand painted swirls are just too precious!

It’s like the guy with the expensive car who doesn’t want to drive it for fear of it getting all scratched up.

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
Just installed a bass drum mounted cymbal arm on my new kit. I dislike standalone cymbal stands for my right side ride because I cannot position my main ride cymbal where I want it.

Slowly but surely the kit is coming along. As soon as some heads that I ordered earlier arrive the kit will feel as comfortable as an old shoe :)

yschip-9.jpg

yschip-10.jpg

While I'm at it, here is a bird's eye view:
yschip-112.jpg

jaymandude

Reaction score
That’s my worry. I’ve never “babied” my drums in the past. All of my drums except the CCs have some kind of road wear to them, and I’m fine with that. But I can’t deal with my Club Customs getting scratched at a gig or something. They’re more of an heirloom piece than a regularly gigged kit. They’re in mint condition and those hand painted swirls are just too precious!

It’s like the guy with the expensive car who doesn’t want to drive it for fear of it getting all scratched up.
Don't feel bad. My satin orange Broadcasters are much more gigworthy than my Creamsicle Club Customs. That orange paint is fragile... I hear you..

Last edited:

jaymandude

Reaction score
That sounds like a viable approach. You may want to consider 10 inches, which is a little more depth for structural integrity if you are hanging toms off the bass drum. It would also add a touch more power to the low end.
True, but that center lug is a nice touch. It's ready to go out of the box. No drilling required

Skyrm

DFO Master
Reaction score
Nice! That would be great for orchestra pits - I’ve played in a pit where the front head of an 18x22 was 1/2” from the wall, and on a raised platform where I couldn’t even fit a bass drum!!

Neal Pert

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Nice! That would be great for orchestra pits - I’ve played in a pit where the front head of an 18x22 was 1/2” from the wall, and on a raised platform where I couldn’t even fit a bass drum!!
Yeah, if God forbid I ever went back to playing musicals, I'd almost certainly use one of these bass drums, at least.

Latest posts