Yamaha Stage Custom Hip 4-piece Shell Pack

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yeah, if God forbid I ever went back to playing musicals, I'd almost certainly use one of these bass drums, at least.
I've done my share, too. Pretty sure I was just using my Tama Rockstar back then (12/13/16/22). Crammed it into the corner of the pit somehow.

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
Just posted this on Sweetwater. It should show up there in a week or so:

The key question is the slim bass drum. It's more than sufficient for the kind of music that I play (jazz, blues and old circa 1950s-60s classic rock.) It can be tuned bebop high or boomy low. However, take into consideration that I play heel down with a Vater Vintage Bomber, my reso head is not ported, and I am using a Remo Coated Ambassador pinstripe as the batter head. No other muffling.

The toms, like the bass drum, have a pretty wide tuning range. I am using Remo Coated Ambassadors on the batter and reso heads, and I recently swapped the stock snare drum batter head for a coated Ambassador. That and tuning allowed me to dial in this kit for the few rooms in which it's been played. I am thoroughly pleased with the sound. One thing to note is the floor tom has snares and a strainer. I do not use an aux snare drum, and when I get around to it I am going to remove the snares. They are not really an issue, but they serve no purpose and I'll just keep them in my spare parts box. I did try the tom out with the snares engaged and it sounded like a snare drum. Nice, full sound.

While this kit is compact it's very heavy. One video ad showed a young man carrying the entire kit, including an uncased bass drum slung over his shoulder. I probably could have done the same when I was kis age, but at 72 I'll take a pass. To be honest, the weight does not bother me since I use a rolling cart. In fact, it bespeaks the quality of this kit. I went over every inch of each drum and was impressed by the quality of materials. The tension rods were smooth in the lug receivers and held tuning, the hoops are very heavy duty. The shells were perfect inside and out. Even the snare drum, usually the weak link in kits in this price range, was pro quality both sonically and in areas, such as the strainer, that most companies skrimp on. Lest I forget, the grosgrain ribbon used to attach the snares to the strainer and butt is a surprisingly nice touch.

Since Yamaha also sells single drums in the Stage Custom Birch series of drums I also purchased a 14x13 and 12x8 set of toms for gigs where the stage is not tiny. The finish was identical to the drums in my kit, so there were no compromises there.

On bags: the slim bass drum's spurs when the drum is in a case are purpendicular to the shell. This means that you will need a 20x14" case or bag despite the actual shell's size. I use the spare space between the spurs to store a drum rug. I was able to fit the toms and snare into a 14x14 bag (I used 14" round dining table placemats to separate each drum.

Finally, I drilled the bass drum for a clamp for a bass drum mounted cymbal holder and am using a DW cymbal mount - see photos.

Bottom line: although I own a bunch of modern and vintage kits, including a DW special edition, this is hand's dowm ny favorite. While some of my kits sound better, the convenience of this kit for transporting, the pro-grade build and the more than decent sound make it a winner in my opinion.

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
UPDATE: I have used this at rehearsals (yes, masks and a lot of social distancing) since it arrived. Despite the fact that I have a DW kit, two custom made kit and a vintage Slingerland kit (among others) this is my favorite kit hands down. The sound quality is not at the same level as the aforementioned kits, but it's damn close. I'll put the build quality against my DW kit anytime.

What I love is pro level sound quality, extremely compact and sturdiness. Another factor is I was able to get matching add-on toms in regular sizes for when I wanted to scale up.

The tipping point was yesterday when rehearsing in our pianists studio. It's a very lively room that - actually a building that she had built - and hard to control sound. We use it because it is large enough to give each of us in the trio enough space to comply with twice the recommended distance for this pandemic. The drums sounded fantastic. I did not expect that since I had only been playing them in my own studio, which has much superior sound qualities.

To be honest if my house was burning this is the first kit I would rescue. I'm impressed!

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Don't feel bad. My satin orange Broadcasters are much more gigworthy than my Creamsicle Club Customs. That orange paint is fragile... I hear you..
I play any of my kits regardless of the finish . I used to own a very expensive Yamaha PHX Kit and I played that kit in bars, outdoor gigs , club gigs . This whole attitude about not playing drums because of the finish is something I don’t understand . I take very good care of my drums , have great Beato bags to protect them . If you spend all this money on a drum set , play them . They aren’t museum pieces , they are a musical instrument and should be played .

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
To be honest if my house was burning this is the first kit I would rescue. I'm impressed!
Oh God, please don't sell me on another Yamaha kit! I literally have ZERO room left in this house. Every room here has at least 1 Yamaha kit stacked up somewhere in the corner. It's getting a little embarrassing!