Yamaha Stage Custom Hip Kit

malonedrum

Reaction score

I just picked up this kit and tried it out on a few gigs. Certainly, it's a polarizing topic for drummers with the shallow kicks and toms (which I love). I've actually cut down a number of drums, and also owned kits like the Tama Club Jam, Premier APK, and Ludwig Breakbeats. I like this one a lot, hope you enjoy the video I made of it!

Jml

Reaction score
Looks awesome! Thanks for the review! What’s the price on that kit?

malonedrum

Reaction score
It's about $700 street price for a new one. I think if it were a $400 kit, that'd be optimal, but this is made with a slightly higher build quality than the Breakbeats or other portable travel kits, so I get the difference.

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Excellent video review! I still don't get the concept of having snares as an option on the floor tom. I'm a big fan of Yamaha's previous Manu Katche Hipgig kits. At one time I really wanted one of the compact 5-piece kits introduced a few years ago. For some reason they weren't marketed much here in the U.S. They seemed to be more common in Canada and Europe. For this latest version, I wish they had kept the 5-piece configuration, using the larger bass drum from the new Stage Hip kit and the toms from the previous Manu Katche version.

malonedrum

Reaction score
Yeah, the snare thing isn't my personal vibe either. I'd rather just take them off and not worry about it. It's also hard to tune for a floor tom with a snare side reso head. So I feel like I have to make a choice of what it is.

malonedrum

Reaction score
Yeah, I remember those from a while back. What are the sizes of those?

My only beef with this kit, is I might have preferred some sort of short toms that were 12 and 14 instead of 10 and 13

Matched Gripper

Reaction score

I just picked up this kit and tried it out on a few gigs. Certainly, it's a polarizing topic for drummers with the shallow kicks and toms (which I love). I've actually cut down a number of drums, and also owned kits like the Tama Club Jam, Premier APK, and Ludwig Breakbeats. I like this one a lot, hope you enjoy the video I made of it!
Kit sounded great tuned up. Seems a natural for an acoustic jazz trio “patio gig.”

Neal Pert

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I decided I wanted one of these pretty much as soon as I saw the listing, but I suspect around here it'll be a while until I am gigging again. I'll pick one up once the gigs start up again. I already have a pretty big Stage Custom shell bank, so I'll add these to that and will use them as options rather than solely as a standalone kit.

malonedrum

Reaction score
Yeah, I love the idea behind owning a shell bank. I've done it once or twice and it's always a perfect way to pick exactly what you need for any situation