YAMAHA STAGE CUSTOM (newer MIC all birch series) QUESTION

mydadisjr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Howdy!!

I am looking at used sets of the Yamaha SC drums and am about ready to pull the trigger. I have decided on the 20" bass all birch MIC variety. Here's my question...

The all birch MIC models come in the older style (2008-2014...deeper 14x14 FT, 4 screw badge, lugs have 2 screws per lug) and the newer (current) style (14x13 FT, 2 screw badge, single screw "advantage" lugs, cast BD claws, 10 lug snare).

Any reason to buy one or the other? Which do you prefer? (I do not care about the snare drum, and I prefer the look of the older lugs BUT I do like the newer shallower toms).

Does the newer single screw lug make any difference in tone? Will I hear a difference in one inch of Floor Tom depth?

shuffle

DFO Star
Reaction score
Ive had several of the kits from 2015 to now,nothing prior.
The 14 kicks nIcely,no tuning problems with the 6 lugs or any of the hoops for that matter, tunes nicely.
The 20 and 22 are great drums,ive got both,anything bigger talk to Evensteven,hes got the 24.
The 20 punches and projects great!
I never was much of a Yamaha guy until these turned my head.
I like the lugs, the finishes are very good!
The bang4 buck issue is strong.

Murat

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I do like the new shallower toms myself and getting the current stuff makes finding spare parts easier in case you need them. As far as lugs, Stage Customs of all generations had decent lugs for my money, with the exception of the black fiber lug (read plastic) era that thank god lasted only a couple of years. And I am still selling replacement lugs for those drums !

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I own the 1st gen SCB (2010), but I've played the 2nd gen SCB several times at rehearsal studios. Not really much of a difference between the two for me. They're both the same damn great kit!