Yamaha Stage Custom Questions

Eric S.

Reaction score
So I picked up this Stage Custom Standard natural finish kit today in Redlands CA
(20,14,12,10) Upon arrival to the sellers house I was slightly disappointed to find out the sizes of the drums were incorrectly posted on the ad, but I went ahead and got them with a practically brand new DW 2000 Double Pedal for $400.00, so not a bad deal.

I know these are primarily Birch shell drums, but from what I've read some early models were made with Mahogany/Falkata as well. The shells on this kit have a matte finish and I haven't had any luck with finding anything similar online so if anybody knows what year/make/etc. that would be rad! Hoping to play these as soon as Newsom gives me the green light

Attachments

Rotarded

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Generation 1 1980 - 1995
1980 Yamaha catalog – “Stage” is the marketing name given to the YD-5000 series drum kits, this kit is made with 100% Philippine mahogany laminated shells, with YD-7000 hardware and retracting bass drum spurs.
1982 Japan Catalog – Refers to the series as the YD-5000G
1986 Yamaha USA Catalog – Refers to the kits as the “Stage 2” and the “Power Stage 2” series. The Bass drum spurs are now like the spurs used on the 1996 and later kits, however the kit still uses the YD-7000 series lugs

Generation 2 1995 - Q1 2008
1995-6 Yamaha Sites and press releases – Reference the establishment of the “Stage Custom” series, The shells are changed to add an inner lamination of Falkata (more exact falcata), The lugs are replaced with high tension lugs, gone Is the power stage version. This kit is sold for several years without any changes. Its a very successful and extremely durable drum kit with excellent sound.

Generation 2a
Catalog LDR 0119 011020 – The drum shells are changed the shells are now made of; Birch. Philippine Mahogany and Falkata (outer to inner plies). The versions of the kits are now changed to Standard and Advantage

Standard = has separate lugs like the YD series, a metal snare drum and comes in 4 finishes (Mat Cranberry Red, Mat Marina Green, Mat Natural Wood and Mat Raven Black). Its basically the YD series with Stage Custom shells

Advantage = Retains the high-tension lugs used since 1995-6, includes a wooden snare drum, and comes in 6 finishes (Blue Metallic, Gold Metallic, Green Metallic, Violet Metallic, Cranberry Red, Raven Black). The Metallic’s are all paint finishes.

Generation 2b around 2003 to Q1 2008
Catalog LDR 0424-041020 – The drum stage custom drum series is changed yet again. Everything mounted on the shells is not mounted at the Notal point mounting, a Nobel & Cooley Drum Company patented process. Everything mounted to the shell as well as the vent hole are moved to the Notal point of the shell. The kits are now changed to Advantage and Nouevau

Advantage = The high tension lugs are replaced by separate lugs found on the Rydeen kits (which replaced the YD kits), they come in 8 finishes (fade Brown Amber, fade Raven Black, fade Cranberry Red, fade Marina Green, fade Purple Blue, fade Sapphire blue, fade Yellow Natural, Natural wood), I confirmed one of these kits with a 2003 date code on the label (QJN) Year (Q=0, J=3) Mo (N=7)

Advantage Nouveau = New lug which comprises a shell bolt, with a Yamaha designed fiber reinforced composite, quick change lug. This approach vastly reduces drum head changes. The shells are identical to the prior series with the exception that birch is replaced with oak on the outer plies for the matte finishes. There are 8 finishes (Oak outer ply = Matte Raven Black, Matte Sienna, Matte Cranberry Red, Birch outer ply = Natural Wood, Cranberry Red, Honey Amber, Fade Brown Amber, Fade Raven Black)

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the beginning of your badge serial number is "QHP" which would be Sept 2001. Q would be the 2000 decade and H the month (Jan). The next decade 2010 would start with R.

Pretty cool to see a 14" floor tom back then. And 10,12,14,20 makes a nice little blues, jazz, folk, light rock kit. That's a scarce kit that imo should bring a premium. Much different than the commonly seen 12,13,16,22 set up. So I'd say you did GREAT getting those sizes. Much easier to play imo. I also like the look of the split lug design vs. the more cluttered long tension lugs.

Last edited:

Jml

Reaction score
I have the mat cranberry red from version 2a. 10”, 12”, 14”, 20”. Love the sizes. Love the sound. The 20” bass is big enough to handle any genre. And the 14” can be tuned down to be boomy. No need for a 16” or 18” for me.

Murat

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Good deal. Stage customs have been great value for the quality you get generation after generation, with the possible exception of the generation with the black plastic lugs, which I still get asked for replacements here and there.

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
22" But I'm finding that this 20" is pretty adequate. I'm on the hunt for a 22" bass and a 16" floor still
At least you already own the "hard to find sizes." The 16 and 22 should be much easier. Though buying "a la carte" they can get expensive.

Last edited:

wraub

Reaction score
Nice kit in my ideal sizes.
Not jealous though, not at all. ;)

Enjoy.

So I picked up this Stage Custom Standard natural finish kit today in Redlands CA
(20,14,12,10) Upon arrival to the sellers house I was slightly disappointed to find out the sizes of the drums were incorrectly posted on the ad, but I went ahead and got them with a practically brand new DW 2000 Double Pedal for $400.00, so not a bad deal.

I know these are primarily Birch shell drums, but from what I've read some early models were made with Mahogany/Falkata as well. The shells on this kit have a matte finish and I haven't had any luck with finding anything similar online so if anybody knows what year/make/etc. that would be rad! Hoping to play these as soon as Newsom gives me the green light