Yamaha stage custom vs pdp concept maple

Reaction score
I have a yamaha stage custom, the new one, I got it in 2013, it works fine but I would like to upgrade. should I save up for the pdp concept maple or go for my dream company, dw. Even though dw and pdp are the same thing basically. on the 14x5.5 snare is an evans g2 coated and Ludwig orchestra snare side. on the toms 10x7 12x8 14x13 16x15 are evans ec2 on top and Remo ut (stock heads) on bottom. And on the bass drum is an evans emad clear and evans eq3 coated with porthole. I like my toms to have a deep sound with attack and my snare to be high, but not to high that it hurts my ears. I wanna make my drums sound like tony royster jr in this vid
I have a tunebot does any one know they frequency that he has them at?

Last edited by a moderator:

Tommy D

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Well, if you want your kit to sound like TR Jr.'s, you will need to mic them and heavily EQ/process them because those don't even sound like acoustic drums anymore.

As for upgrading to a PDP Concept Maple, I wouldn't call it an "upgrade". Its more of a lateral move. Construction wise they are about equal. Shells will be round, finishes will be pretty much the same quality as the Yamaha, edges will be of equal quality, the PDP will have slightly "better" hardware (nicer snare strainer, thicker hoops), and the maple will have a throatier sound to it. Other than that, they are of equal quality and direct competitors to each other.

I have a Concept Maple and a Concept Birch kit and the Maple does produce more grunt in its tone. The Birch kit is a cleaner tone but lacks some of the lower frequencies that you can find in Maple. I relate it to playing an electric guitar on a clean tone (this would be the Birch kit) and then adding a bit of distortion (this is the Maple kit). It adds a bit more balls to the low end, but sacrifices the cleanliness of the higher tones.

Since Yamaha does not offer an all Maple kit, let alone a kit that has maple in it for less than $3K, moving to something like a Concept Maple is a logical move. As for going to a DW kit instead of the PDP, if you have the money then go for it. If you want the DW sound with lots of the DW features but dont want to spend $3-4K on a kit, pick up a Concept Maple and have someone cut you some pro quality bearing edges on them. Not to dog PDP, this (bearing edge quality) is something all these upper entry level kits suffer from. As someone who owns a Concept Maple and a DW Collectors in the same sizes, I compared my freshly cut CM kit to the Collectors, and the CM kit sounds almost identical. Honestly, a blind test would be really difficult to tell which kit was which. So for way less than 1/3rd the price of the DW I can get 95% or more of the sound from the Concept Maple.

Grooovepig

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
100% agree with Tommy D. I currently own a PDP Concept Maple and Concept Birch kit (cheap plug: the CB kit is available in the for sale section). I have also owned a Stage Custom kit. Going from the Yammies to PDP would absolutely be a lateral move.

I actually prefer the Concept Maple out of all 3 of these kits. As Tommy mentioned, it's a little throatier sounding. Plus I am a big denouncer of anything YESS! The PDP mounting system is superior in my opinion. All the other hardware is comparable. I also think my CM kit sounds just as good as most DW's I've heard and sometimes better.

The choice is yours. What you haven't mentioned is how do you use your drums? Are you a gigging musician? What types of work do you get? For me, I feel good knowing I'm taking a $700 kit to clubs and weddings as opposed to something in the $3k range. If it gets a scratch no biggie.

Good luck.

drummerbill

DFO Master
Reaction score
Both are really nice kits, and I agree with Tommy and Groovepig !

I have a PDP LXE, similar construction but with an exotic outer veneer. {Bought these used for $200 and change from GC}
I gig them all the time, don't sweat it out with an occasional nick or worrying about theft, like I do with my classic US kits and custom kits.

The PDPs have a little more projection than the Birch Yammy's in my opinion.

Go to a GC and try a PDP and the Stage Customs and see if the extra $$ investment meets your "ear" satisfaction. ;-)

shuffle

DFO Star
Reaction score
I'm sold on the Stage Customs.
Owned and A-B'd them.
The SCs won out,punchy,developed sound out front. All the drums tune up great and stay tuned.
The PSP Concepts not so much,toms were OK.
Bass drum wouldn't give out a note or tone just thump,not very pleasant,so they were sold.
I own 2 SC kits and love them!

Tommy D

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
shuffle said:
Owned and A-B'd them.
The SCs won out,punchy,developed sound out front. All the drums tune up great and stay tuned.
Bass drum wouldn't give out a note or tone just thump,not very pleasant,so they were sold.
Were you using the Birch or Maple version of the Concepts? Also, what heads were you using? I think the PDP bass batter head is junk. The reso side is fine, but that batter head makes the bass drums sound thin. An Emad really helps round out the sound and give it more definition and punch.

Rotarded

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Had and gigged both the Stage Customs and Concept Maples. Both great kits. CMs were just a step, albiet small, above the SCs.

The only reason I sold the CMs was the stupid crazy cheap deal on a set of Performance Series DWs.

shuffle

DFO Star
Reaction score
Tommy D said:
Owned and A-B'd them.
Were you using the Birch or Maple version of the Concepts? Also, what heads were you using? I think the PDP bass batter head is junk. The reso side is fine, but that batter head makes the bass drums sound thin. An Emad really helps round out the sound and give it more definition and punch.
Emad and original resno,tried several other batters as well ,same results.
Tom were OK
Maple Concept s btw..
Yammies fit and finish were better than the Concept.
Imho

Tommy D

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
shuffle said:
Owned and A-B'd them.
Emad and original resno,tried several other batters as well ,same results.
Tom were OK
Maple Concept s btw..
Yammies fit and finish were better than the Concept.
Imho

Hmm, that's strange that the Emad didn't fatten up the sound. Well, I guess it just wasn't meant to be. Glad the Yamaha SC works for you.

The Whale

Priest of the Temples of Syrinx
Reaction score
If you can look at a PDP CM or PDP Platinum in person do that. Look it over. If edges are good its a far superior set to the Yamaha SC. I've owned 3 Stage Customs, 2 PDP Concept Maples, 1 PDP Platinum and am on my 2nd DW Collectors. All my PDP's were very nice sounding drums and much better in tone and range than the Yamaha SC's.

Your best bet is to find a nice used PDP Platinum kit. Amazing kits for the money.

Good luck!

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
The Whale said:
If you can look at a PDP CM or PDP Platinum in person do that. Look it over. If edges are good its a far superior set to the Yamaha SC. I've owned 3 Stage Customs, 2 PDP Concept Maples, 1 PDP Platinum and am on my 2nd DW Collectors. All my PDP's were very nice sounding drums and much better in tone and range than the Yamaha SC's.

Your best bet is to find a nice used PDP Platinum kit. Amazing kits for the money.
Are the edges questionable on these two series?

Tommy D

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
lossforgain said:

Are the edges questionable on these two series?
Edges are questionable on every kit. The Platinums may be better, but you can only find them used so its a crap shoot on what you will get. The Concept edges are sanded in, so they are pretty good for their price, but they can be improved just like a Stage Custom's edges can be improved.

jashoup

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The Whale said:
I wholeheartedly disagree with your statement that the PDP drums are superior to the Yamaha's. I think it is more accurate to state that the Concept series from PDP and the Stage Customs are more of a lateral move or direct competitor. They're both very nice kits, and both sound great.

For me personally, there are a few differentiating factors that drove me to buy Stage Customs. In fact, after buying one of the most recent issues of Stage Customs about two years ago, I recently bought a second kit. That's how much I like these drums.

Every kit in this price range is made in China/Indonesia/etc. and imported to the US. My understanding is that there are certain factories in this region of the world that make drums. For whomever. So today they're making Pearl Exports, tomorrow Sonor Force drums, next week SPL. And so on. And they can turn out some very fine product, if that is what they're being paid to do. I may be mistaken, but I believe the Stage Customs, while also made in China, are actually made by Yamaha, in China. Using certainly the expertise that the company has developed in the last 50 years, and likely many of the same tools and processes as are used on producing the higher end drums.

Other touches that I like about the Yamaha SC's are small features like die cast bass drum claws instead of pressed steel; a single screw to attach the lugs, i.e less metal in/on the drum and fewer holes; and the finishes are spectacular. Add to this that they're tailor made to work with the Yamaha hardware system, so it's easy to swap out tom mounts, cymbal arms, etc. among the bass drum mount and stands. PDP's hardware isn't all that hot, and it's not nicely integrated into a "system" like Yamaha's stuff is. It's watered-down DW or Gibraltar parts. And the DW/PDP hardware is generally overbuilt and heavy.

All that said, they're all very nice sounding and playing drums. You can't really buy a "bad" kit these days, unless it says "Rogue" or "Sound Percussion" or something. If you're dropping $600+ you're probably getting some nice tubs.

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Good points, Jeff! I believe you're right about Yamaha having their own factory in China.

drummerbill

DFO Master
Reaction score
Jeff is speaking the truth. IMHO

I mention my satisfaction with my Pacific kit above, but also mention both kits are equivalent with slight tonal difference. A few of my students have Stage Custom Birch kits, and this biggest thing tonally to my ears is when we changed batter side heads to coated Ambassadors, and they transform into Recording custom territory to my ears !! {One student we did the for mentioned head change and put coated emps on the two floors...kit sounded really wonderful. IMHO }

I think the edges also on both kits are pretty consistent, there was a time though when some of the PDP's made in Mexico where exhibiting ply separation, {I think this why above, a few members mention checking the edges.} IMHO