Yamaha Stage Custom vs. Tama Starclassic Performer

Asher

Reaction score
I currently have two kits: a compact rehearsal kit (18x8 Tempus kick, Ddrum toms) and a bop-sized set of birch Tama Starclassic Performers (18-10-20-14). Since I'm playing a lot more rock music these days, I want to get a more versatile kit, probably with a 20" bass drum. I've been looking at the Yamaha Stage Custom Birch kits, which look like a great deal. I can get a 20-14-10-12-14 shell pack for $650 or so, and I'm considering selling my Tamas to finance the purchase. My questions:

1) How do the Yamahas compare to the Tamas, particularly in terms of sound quality?

2) Has anyone seen a 20-12-14 configuration? I don't want the snare, and I could do without the 10" tom. (There's an 18-12-14 shell pack available for about $500.)

3) Any great deals out there? It looks like $650 is the Minimum Advertised Price, though Amazon had some of the shell packs for around $565 last week.

Thanks!

kb

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The Stage Customs are nice drums; but, be aware that their 20" and 22" bass drums are 17" deep, kind of a pain to move around...

Asher

Reaction score
The Stage Customs are nice drums; but, be aware that their 20" and 22" bass drums are 17" deep, kind of a pain to move around...
Yeah, I'd like a shallower bass drum, but it seems like 22x18 is the standard in most shell packs these days. What I'd love to find are 3-piece shell packs with a 14" deep kit, something like 20-12-14 or 22-13-16. Ludwig makes some kits with shallower bass drums, but they seem to be mostly Bonham-esque kits with 24" or 26" kicks.

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
Yeah, I'd like a shallower bass drum, but it seems like 22x18 is the standard in most shell packs these days. What I'd love to find are 3-piece shell packs with a 14" deep kit, something like 20-12-14 or 22-13-16. Ludwig makes some kits with shallower bass drums, but they seem to be mostly Bonham-esque kits with 24" or 26" kicks.
Ludwig's Downbeat kits are traditional 20x14, 12x8 & 14x14. Gretsch has a Catalina Club Jazz model in the same sizes.

Asher

Reaction score
Ludwig's Downbeat kits are traditional 20x14, 12x8 & 14x14. Gretsch has a Catalina Club Jazz model in the same sizes.
I'll have to check out the Gretsches. The Ludwigs seem like a nice kit, but I really dislike those centered lugs with the long tension rods.

Erik

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've had a set of Stage Custom Advantage drums for several years now. It's my rehearsal kit, so I play it much more often than my "gig" kit. I love the drums, tune up easily and the YESS tom mounts are great. My only complaint is with the bass drum legs. Every so often, I have to reset them. Even though they are tight at the wing nut, they manage to fold back after a couple of rehearsals.

Go for it!

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
I'll have to check out the Gretsches. The Ludwigs seem like a nice kit, but I really dislike those centered lugs with the long tension rods.
You are thinking of Club Dates - the Downbeat sizes come in models that do not feature center lugs.

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
Here is the gretsch model from my watch list on ebay. Dunno why I am watching it since I have no intention of buying it with 7 kits around the house already :)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/130764445474?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Slippy

a.k.a "slow feet"
Reaction score
SC in Birch and Yamaha Stage Customs i would say are pretty close... I own a set if SC\BB and they are right inline with the DW's maple's i have owned in the past... I have never owned a set of Birch StarClassic but the StarClassic line are soem fine drums... that being said im getting ready to buy my second set for live gig's and its going to be a Yamaha Stage Custom, they are nice and for $599 new you can't beat it.

kaosotis

Reaction score
I don't see the two kits as comparable. I had a t a set of recent Tour Customs (same hardware, etc.. as Stage Customs) and Starclassics are much higher end drums.

The Yamaha were decent drums but I didn't find the hardware (lugs, hoops) to be that great. I replaces the Tour Customs with Superstars and have been happier.

Just my two cents.